All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Yoga for thyroid - just learned this!
      #106119 - 09/15/04 08:17 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Tonight in class we were doing shoulder stand, and I thought of you, Ruchie and Kandee! Our instructor was talking about how this pose is really beneficial for regulating the thyroid - and two women in class mentioned that they had actually stopped taking thryoid medications after they started doing regular shoulder stands. I never knew this - the pose sure can't hurt, and it sounds like it could really help! There's a picture of shoulder stand right here - just scroll down the page to the "s" section.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yoga for thyroid - just learned this! new
      #106130 - 09/15/04 09:16 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I just learned this pose last week at class too ... she did not mention thyroid, but only not to do it very long if you have high BP.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Yoga for thyroid - just learned this! new
      #106136 - 09/15/04 10:19 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

That's most interesting. I have my doubts about it being so good one could stop their meds completely unless they were on a very low dose to begin with, but you never know.

I used to do this pose just because it felt good...long before I ever took a yoga class or knew it was a yoga pose. It made you feel like you were upside down without actually being so. Besides, it was how we used to do an exercise popular years ago where you got into that position then pretended like you were peddling a bicycle. The one I liked in the last class I took was called, I think, wall walking, scooting your posterior up to the wall as far as you can then slowly swinging the legs up parallel to the wall. I think it's a relaxation pose.

I haven't done any yoga classes now for over 6 months due to being told not to for this medical reason or that so I'm anxious to get back into it. I KNOW it helps the IBS!!!

--------------------

This was the first time a teacher had ever mentioned the thyroid benefits... new
      #106253 - 09/16/04 11:22 AM
HeatherAdministrator

they're always talking about other aspects of shoulder stand, but in three years of yoga this was the first thyroid mention. That's one of the things I really love about yoga - there seems to be an endless amount of new things to learn, so it's never just the same-old same-old...

-H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: to: Heather --thyroid benefits... new
      #106606 - 09/17/04 06:05 PM
ibsfla

Reged: 06/30/04

Hi Heather--I also doubt that the two gals were taken off thyroid meds due to Yoga--I don't doubt Yoga has major benefits but thyroid disease can only be managed with thyroid hormones taken daily--I hope these ladies are under a doctors care and that no one stops their thyroid meds on their own!
carol

Edited by ibsfla (09/17/04 06:07 PM)

I don't know the details... new
      #107047 - 09/20/04 02:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

it was just off-the-cuff comments in a yoga class that I thought were interesting. No one in the class was suggesting that people with thyroid problems stop taking their meds because they've started doing shoulder stands, and I'm sure not recommending that. It just seemed like something that could possibly benefit, couldn't possibly hurt, and I wanted to pass it on...

- H

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11205

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review