Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Question About Heather's Pizza Party Snack Mix
      #225477 - 11/16/05 02:38 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I've never made it....but will be learning HOW on from "Heather Cooks" hehehe

But my question is..... how does it hold up when left out for a few hours uncovered.... like on a table at a party.... will it taste stale? Any serving suggetions?

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question About Heather's Pizza Party Snack Mix new
      #225518 - 11/16/05 05:16 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

You know I made it once but kept it in a sealed container to munch on. I notices it did seem to get a tad bit stale in that even after a few days. I am not sure what to do. Maybe Heather will have some suggestions on her DVD. If I get mine before you I'll let you know!!

#225612 - 11/17/05 06:34 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

substitutes

I had trouble getting all the ingredients so here's a link for substitutions. Since then, I substitute the soy bleu cheese dressing for light ranch dressing (yes, it does contain milk but the amount is so small), and I like to add 1/4 tsp ground chipotle pepper for a hint of heat.

It holds up great for several hours out. I have even thrown the leftovers in a tupperware and thrown it in the fridge and eaten it the next day. Still crunchy and yummy.

Oh, yeah, and when you make it, make sure you stir it REALLY well (but gently) between microwaving. It needs time for moisture to escape for it to dry out.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

I've had it uncovered for hours and it's fine... new
      #226030 - 11/18/05 11:39 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

you do have to make sure you stir/cook it long enough that it dries out. It will continue to crips up as it cools. I store it in a sealed container, but it won't go stale instantly if it's just left out. It's probably comparable to pretzels or chips.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I've had it uncovered for hours and it's fine... new
      #226201 - 11/19/05 09:59 AM
Honey mix

Reged: 11/16/05
Loc: USA wish it was England

what about honey glazed chex mix?

--------------------
Puppies Are Cute But I'm Cuter

Same thing, no problem! -nt- new
      #226229 - 11/19/05 01:20 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Question About Heather's Honey Snack Mix new
      #226731 - 11/22/05 02:32 PM
Shell Marr

I don't have a very big microwave and my mixing bowls are all metal... so I would like to make this in the oven on a shallow pan. What temp and approx how long? Should I just treat it as if it were the "Chex Party Mix" on the cereal box or do I need more caution due to the honey? Thoughts?

Honey Snack Mix

--------------------

Re: Hmmmmmmm. new
      #226748 - 11/22/05 03:41 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Hmmmm. I would first of all suggest a LOW temperature - as if you were drying out croutons or something. Nothing higher than 300 deg. F - maybe start at 275 or 250. Then I would put them on a non stick baking sheet and take it out and stir every 15 minutes or so.
Just stabbing at a guess. Might want to make this baby in advance in case it takes a while.

--------------------

#226771 - 11/22/05 05:58 PM
Angela E.

Ok I made this again tonight and it still seems not very crispy?? I cooked it for 3 intervals of 90 seconds. I made sure that I stirred it really well. But I still had clumps of tomatoe paste together. Maybe I should cook it longer?? Any thoughts?

#226827 - 11/23/05 06:18 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Yep. Sometimes it takes longer. After stirring, I often let it set on the counter for several minutes to steam and cool before throwing it back in the microwave. Then, sometimes it takes another one or two turns in the micro. Once it gets close to being crispy, stop microwaving and let it sit for about 10 minutes. It'll crispen up even more sitting on the counter. Otherwise, you risk burning it.

--------------------

#226830 - 11/23/05 06:44 AM
Angela E.

Thanks Alicia! I put it in the frig last night and it crisped up even better but I will try to cook it longer next time!

Re: No problem! new
      #226906 - 11/23/05 01:19 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

I'm still convinced that it's the cooling and steaming between nuking that is critical.

--------------------

Heather's Honey Snack Mix - Just finished making this new
      #230483 - 12/09/05 11:13 PM
Shell Marr

Just finished making this....and it turned out GREAT!! I doubled the recipe and cooked it in the oven at 250 for 1 hour, stiring every 15 mins. Let it cool and stir every *5 mins for 15-20 mins... then put in ziplock or air tight container. I will serve that at the IBS cookie party on Sunday!!

*no longer then 5 mins or it sticks together into clumps and you have to break it up

Quote:

I don't have a very big microwave and my mixing bowls are all metal... so I would like to make this in the oven on a shallow pan. What temp and approx how long? Should I just treat it as if it were the "Chex Party Mix" on the cereal box or do I need more caution due to the honey? Thoughts?

Honey Snack Mix

--------------------

Heather's Honey Snack Mix new
      #231709 - 12/14/05 11:20 PM
Shell Marr

5 days later and still as fresh as can be...this is SO SO GOOD...I'm gonna make some more to take for the car ride for our Christmas road trip!!

Quote:

Just finished making this....and it turned out GREAT!! I doubled the recipe and cooked it in the oven at 250 for 1 hour, stiring every 15 mins. Let it cool and stir every *5 mins for 15-20 mins... then put in ziplock or air tight container. I will serve that at the IBS cookie party on Sunday!!

*no longer then 5 mins or it sticks together into clumps and you have to break it up

Quote:

Honey Snack Mix

--------------------

Re: Heather's Honey Snack Mix new
      #232797 - 12/20/05 09:15 AM
Shell Marr

11 days after making it... I just had a handful this morning and it is still just like the first day.... still nice and FRESH tasting!! This is great!

Quote:

5 days later and still as fresh as can be...this is SO SO GOOD...I'm gonna make some more to take for the car ride for our Christmas road trip!!

Quote:

Quote:

Honey Snack Mix

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 112 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5852

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review