All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
? re: recipe for chocolate cherry pound cake from H's First Year bk, p.133
      #20638 - 09/13/03 02:54 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

I'd like to make this w/o any fruit b/c I like chocolate cake pure and simple! However, it doesn't have any sugar. I'm wondering if all the sweetness was supposed to come from the cherries or is this recipe missing the amount of sugar needed? If the original recipe doesn't have sugar in it, how much sugar do you think needs to be added to replace the cherries? Thanks.

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: ? re: recipe for chocolate cherry pound cake from H's First Year bk, p.133 new
      #20640 - 09/13/03 04:11 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

You know, the first time I made this I used the book I borrowed from the library. When I tasted it I thought I forgot to add the sugar, but when I went back and looked, it didn't have any sugar listed. Wasn't very good! LOL

When I got my own copy, it had 1 cup granulated sugar listed with the dry ingredients. Must have been a typo in the first copies.

Re: ? re: recipe for chocolate cherry pound cake from H's First Year bk, p.133 new
      #20671 - 09/14/03 10:31 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

That is so funny. I made the cake once using the book from the library and it didn't have sugar listed as one of the ingrediants. The book I bought does. I have not tried it again though. Have you?

#20681 - 09/14/03 02:30 PM
*Melissa*

It is SO MUCH better with the sugar! LOL This recipe gave me the idea to add chopped dried cherries to the Cocoa Muffins, and they came out really good.

Recipe Corrections - It's a typo in early editions of the book... new
      #20696 - 09/14/03 10:36 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

There should be 1 cup granulated sugar mixed into the dry ingredients. I was so ticked when I found this mistake. It wasn't in my draft, it snuck in when the book was typeset. The results wouldn't be good at all without sugar.

I've actually got a compiled list of recipe typos in early editions of Eating for IBS (which had several) - check here web page

Sorry to everyone who made the recipe from a first edition book. I'm still so upset about this.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Not on typo page new
      #20731 - 09/15/03 09:42 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Heather, the Chocolate Cherry Pound Cake is not listed in the typo list on that page.

Re: Not on typo page new
      #20734 - 09/15/03 10:16 AM
*Melissa*

I thought the same thing when I first looked at it, but then I realized that's a list for Eating for IBS. I looked at The First Year, but I didn't see a typo list for that book.

Re: Not on typo page new
      #20738 - 09/15/03 10:42 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Good thinking Mags, I knew there had to be an explanation! LOL........karin

Sometimes I'm a little slow... new
      #20743 - 09/15/03 11:50 AM
HeatherAdministrator

this is clearly one of those times. I didn't post a typo page at all for the First Year because it just had the one recipe correction, and it was caught and fixed right after the first edition (as opposed to Eating for IBS, where I spent over a YEAR and multiple print runs trying to get my publishing house to make corrections).

I'll add a typo page to the First Year site section for that recipe. I hadn't thought about libraries, and how many copies they stock when a book is first printed.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Heather and Mags- F/U ?s Re: Choc cherry cake - It's a typo in early editions of the book... new
      #21270 - 09/19/03 07:36 PM
lithelady

Thanks for your replies Mags and Heather. It's been a busy week so I'm finally getting back to this board tonight since last wkend. I was also using a copy from the lib when I wrote my question about the sugar content in the cherry choc cake last weekend. Ah, the publishing world, it certainly does have it weakenesses, but then again what profession doesn't, and I sure couldn't live w/o books!

Heather- I'm sure you know this, but the link to the recipe corrections doesn't have this recipe listed. I'm guessing that this is b/c the list of corrections are for your first book. So, are there any other errors in the recipes in the First Year book?
Also, do you think this choc cake would work w/o including cherries? Do you think I need to add more sugar to replace the cherries? I'm not fond of having any fruit mixed in w/ chocolate so that's why I'm asking this ?. Thanks!

Mags, thanks for the cocoa muffin recipe, it sounds delicious. Was it yummy w/o any fruit added?

--------------------

oops! Heather and Mags- F/U ?s Re: Choc cherry cake - It's a typo in early editions of the book... new
      #21271 - 09/19/03 07:47 PM
lithelady

Heather- Sorry, I only read the first page of replies to my original 9/14 e-mail, b/c I read msges in the flat mode and I didn't realize there was a second page of replies to your first msge about the typo. So, sorry about repeating what others already wrote about this typo not being listed on the weblinked recipe correction page.

I'm still getting used to using this msge board, as I've never participated in one before now. I never found any until yours that I thought were worth my time- too many uninformed and poorly written msges on all of the ones I've ever looked at before yours. However, this one that you've created and and its community of participants are GREAT!

--------------------

Re: Cocoa Muffins new
      #21294 - 09/20/03 09:04 AM
*Melissa*

The cocoa muffins were great plain. I tried them that way when I first posted the recipe, and didn't try the dried cherries till the second time around.

Re: Cocoa Muffins- thanks Mags and two more "?s" please new
      #21295 - 09/20/03 09:16 AM
lithelady

Hi Mags,
Thanks alot for the reply about the muffins, I love chocolate so will make them soon.

My first ? is one you may not have actually tried, since you like cherries. However, you seem really knowledgeable about H's diet from all the posts I've read of yours over the past 2 months since I discovered this board, so I'd like your opinion about making the choc cherry pound cake w/o the cherries. Do you think this cake's recipe would work w/o cherries just as it is, or do you think I need to add something to replace the cherries?

Second ? is: does this cake have the texture of a real pound cake or is it very similar to the muffins in its taste and texture? Thanks, LL

--------------------

#21299 - 09/20/03 09:44 AM
*Melissa*

Hi LL!

If I were to try it, I'd make it without the cherries and not adjust the sugar. Persoally, I think it will work fine without them, and without adding anything else.

Honestly, I've only made the recipe 2 times - once without the sugar, and once with. LOL That was last winter, because I don't do much, if any, baking in the summer, so I can't remember the texture. Sorry.

I love chocolate also. For a real chocolate urge, try Luigi's Chocolate Fudge Real Italian Ice. They are fat free and have safe ingredients. Thier website is www.luigis.com. They don't show info for the chocolate ones, but at least you can see what the packaging looks like - I always like to know what the packaging of things look like, because it helps me find it in the store.

#21301 - 09/20/03 10:22 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - You can omit the cherries and not adjust the recipe and things will be fine. I'll tell you a little secret - the recipes for chocolate applesauce cake, peppermint fudge cake, and chocolate cherry poundcake are darn near the same exact cake. The flavoring, dried fruit, spices, and shape of baking pan vary, but other than that they're nearly identical. This is probably the most flexible cake recipe I've ever worked with. In fact, if you have the banana walnut cake recipe from a Heather Cooks show (go to the recipes section of the website and you can find it from there), that's also a variation of the same darn cake!

So, add or omit dried fruit, change the extracts, add or leave out ground spices, whatever your like. The texture is always going to be close to a poundcake in that it's very smooth and a little dense and very rich - it's not light like a sponge cake, and it's not at all crumbly like like some muffins.

- H

--------------------

Re: Cocoa Muffins- ! Thanks again. new
      #21600 - 09/23/03 06:27 PM
JAE'

Reged: 09/16/03
Loc: St. Petersburg Fl.

I am just sitting here reading every ones food lists,
I'm having a big kick out of thinking I'll be dreaming of CoCo all night long...
Thanks everyone! I had my Co Co puff cup and I'm just fine.
I can hardly wait until morning to get started in the kitchen.
In St.Peterburg Fl.. this town will roll in CoCo.. and more with Heather & Company Tickled Tummies.
Thanks again,
JAE'

Thanks for the info re: choc cherry pound cake-nt new
      #21674 - 09/24/03 04:47 PM
lithelady

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 213 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7732

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review