All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
General info for Newbies! Welcome!
      #58569 - 04/06/04 05:33 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Glad to have you here, and hope we can help you and you can help us!

Actually, there's so much going on here on these boards the best thing to do is search around a bit. Poke into the rooms and see what you can see! We're friendly folk (when we're not giving up our sugar) and we love for people to just jump on in!

Let me give you some tips:

1) Use the Search option at the top of each Board to run a search for specific info. (Example: say you want to know about our favorite snack, RKTs (aka Rice Krispie Treats)... just go to the Search and plug in your info. You'll get hits that help you find what you're looking for!

2) The Living Room is where we hang out and chat. Some of us call it "nattering" but those are the ones who are British (and they talk funny).

3) The IBS Diet Board is where we talk about IBS and its glory. It's where we discuss the diet we follow or other things we do to deal with IBS and all its glory.

4) Heather's Diet is outlined here for you. There's tons of links. If you're interested in trying to address your symptoms through this diet or Heather's other recommendations, make sure you click all the links and check it all out!

5) If you like to try cooking -or want to convince others to cook for you!- we have a running Recipe thing going on, and that has its own board!

6)There are also boards for hypnosis, yoga, stomach diseases like Crohn's and colitis. Why hypnosis? Read this. What's all this talk about yoga? Check this out!

7) Are you the kind of person who likes to read all about stuff to get familiar with its ins and outs? The IBS Research Library has tons of info. Heather adds the new research when she sees it. It's chock-full-o-info!

8) The boards get kinda hectic. If you have questions about the diet, check the message boards directory-- there are links to some info that may answer your questions. Inside the boards themselves (in this example, the Diet board), you will notice some posts at the top with what looks like a stick pin in 'em. They're always there, at the top. Heather calls them "sticky posts." (See what I'm talking about, here.) They also have info that may help you!

9) When you see -nt- in a Subject line of a post, it means "no text"--- there's nothing in the post, just the Subject line.

10. We have our own language, here! You'll see "D" and "C" and IBS-C and IBS-A, blah, blah, blah. I'll let you into our little secret world; here's what we're talking about:
"C" is constipation, "D" is diarrhea. I'm IBS-A which means I alternate between the two symptoms, like many of us do. If you're IBS-C you're predominantly a constipation sufferer. IBS-D? You got it: predominantly diarrhea. UGH. Lovely, eh? See why we abbreviate!? Other important abbreviations:

Once you get acclimated, you may want to read back over these things... sometimes stuff registers in bits and pieces! For example, you may read a bunch of posts and think to yourself, "self, what the heck is this acacia people keep talking about?" You know how to search... you can do that and see what's said about it, or go back to the info Heather has provided!

And one last thing: please post your picture so we can see who we're talking to!!! Here's how.

Glad to have you on board! Don't be a stranger! And if you have any questions that the above didn't answer for you, don't hesitate to ask. We don't bite (unless you're holding a RKT.)

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

scusi. new
      #58571 - 04/06/04 05:46 PM
jenX

i wrote this earlier today for someone and touched it up a bit. had to post it somewhere just so i could "toggle it as favorite" for future reference.

don't mean to hog up the board with this.

--------------------

Re: General info for Newbies! Welcome! new
      #58573 - 04/06/04 05:50 PM
Dalia

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: London / Tel Aviv / New York

you are too cute!

--------------------
Feel the fear, and do it anyway

Thank YOU :) new
      #58588 - 04/06/04 06:15 PM
suz1

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Vermont, USA

Im new to chat rooms so finding how to run this computer is a trick. Thank you so much for the warm welcome. It is so good to know there are other people with my IBS problem out there. No matter how understanding family & friends try to be anyone who doesn't have this problem really can't understand the stress of having to stop and find restrooms (or a conceling tree, as we have many here in Vermont). Im so happy to have found this web site because Im at the point where I really don't want to go anywhere because of this IBS, but now I see hope in my future.
Thanks again. suz

jenX, this is brilliant! nt new
      #58649 - 04/06/04 09:53 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

Too too fabulous! THANK YOU!! -nt- new
      #58651 - 04/06/04 10:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Fantastic!!! It says it ALL!!!! -nt- new
      #58659 - 04/06/04 11:07 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

--------------------

THANKS! That's Awesome! new
      #66225 - 04/30/04 07:32 AM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

All the info in one spot with links and everything - wow! Maybe it could be somewhere where it won't get buried in a thread so it can be found easily?

Ana

Re: THANKS! That's Awesome! new
      #66232 - 04/30/04 07:48 AM
jenX

tthanks, i'm glad you like it! i wanted to help people navigate since this is such an informative and helpful site!

actually, in Heather's New Folks..... sticky post (at the top of this board), she mentions this and links to it...

--------------------

#80153 - 06/16/04 07:54 PM
icygirl

Reged: 06/16/04
Loc: pittsburgh, pa

Thanks for the info. I haven't been officially diagnosed. I have a dr appointment next week for that. Any clues to what they will do to me? I seem to be an "IBS-C". Miserable for quite some time, too. Just starting to figure out how to eat, so any tips would be welcome! Have a good evening.

What would we do without Jen?? I think we'd all be lost and confused! -nt- new
      #80163 - 06/16/04 08:51 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

jen i dont know if ur able to edit this post but if u can maybe u could add Linz's (and others) list new
      #80174 - 06/16/04 09:01 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

of abbreviations to this post?

#103707 - 09/03/04 02:01 PM
beth71

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas

Thank you jenX. Being new to all these message boards is overwhelming. You've made this an easy beginning. I, too suffer from IBS-A (got it thanks to you). I look forward to learning and managing my IBS.
-Beth71

#128094 - 12/06/04 12:47 PM
preciousbb

Reged: 12/04/04

NEWBIE HERE. I AM READING AND READING. HAVE 2 YR GRANDSON WHOM I BELIEVE HAS IBS. IT IS PITIFUL.HAVING HARD TIME WITH SOMETHING FOR HIM TO DRINK.NOT SURE HOW TO MANEUVER THROUGH HERE, SO IF ANYONE WANTS TO EMAIL ME, PRECIOUSBB1948@AOL.COM

#150804 - 02/16/05 12:04 PM
Joh

Reged: 02/16/05

Hi
I'm new to the site as I've just been diagnosed with IBS (this is my 1st month). I've been searching many internet sites and found this one, just want to say thanks for all the interesting help I have found already!! I've been a vegetarian for 16 years and do not eat cheese because I thought I was allergic to it, I would like to know if there are any more vegetarian IBS sufferers out there, particularly if you're from the UK?

DALIA 2 of you?? new
      #150879 - 02/16/05 02:53 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I just see from this old post your old profile and pic under username DALIA not DALIATREE!
Jekyll and Hyde eh?? Are you trying to confuse us??

--------------------
S.

#151034 - 02/17/05 01:53 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

There are quite a few veggies on here. I don't eat meat (former veggie) but do eat fish now.

Where in the UK are you? I'm in Newbury, Berkshire.

bump! -nt- new
      #155940 - 03/02/05 02:08 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

#163871 - 03/24/05 08:14 PM
FabMarta

Reged: 03/24/05

Can I just say, THANK GOD FOR HEATHER!!!!
I was diagnosed with IBS last week after six months of all kinds of testing. (colonoscopy, all of the gallbladder tests, ultrasounds, endoscopy), finally, IBS wins!
So, I have been so worried about my job, which involves days in the city of Chicago at client sites, I have been moved to tears due to my IBS-D.
I found Heather's books at the library. I was reading the first pages while drinking my citrucel. I laughed out loud when she said that's all many doctors tell you to use!!
I am so excited about all of the information in the cookbook and the IBS guide. I have been reading like crazy.

It's just nice to know I am not alone.
Thanks for being here before me. Now we can be here together.

And most of all, Thank you Heather, for being there in my darkest hour. You give me hope.
Fab Marta

Welcome! new
      #163891 - 03/24/05 10:30 PM
Linz

Glad you found Heather and this place!

#165844 - 03/31/05 01:41 PM
Saunie

Reged: 03/31/05

How do I post my question? My question is How do I find a doctor who will help me and let me know if I really have IBS?

#166375 - 04/02/05 08:06 AM
kidsx4

Reged: 04/02/05
Loc: Fairfax, VA

My 11 y/o son has recently been diagnosed...IBS-C and this site has been a blessing! We are following Heather's diet and I can't believe the improvement! Can't wait to "dig in" and learn more. I'm trying to get the whole family involved as they eat too much junk as it is and I want them to be supportive of their brother. Glad to be part of the IBS site family!
Cathy K

Welcome! new
      #166408 - 04/02/05 10:48 AM
Linz

Just post a new post whenever you want to say anything tht isn't a direct reply to another post! That way they're easier to spot.

Welcome! new
      #166409 - 04/02/05 10:51 AM
Linz

Just click the Post button in the top right of the screen when you're looking at each forum and start a new thread for each new topic.

Re. finding doctors. Well there's a thread around somewhere (I'll try and find it) with personally recommended doctors. Usually, you need to see your GP/family doctor and get a referral to a GI doc (gastro-enterologist). Only a GI doc can do all the neccessary tests (colonoscopy etc) that are needed to rule out other GI problems. Your GP also really needs to check you out or refer you elsewhere to rule out the other possible IBS-mimics like gyno probs if you're female.

Good luck!

Here's the thread Linz mentioned... new
      #166419 - 04/02/05 01:00 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

You can click here to go to a thread about doctors who are good for their IBS patients. Read through all the posts and see if anyone has listed a doctor in your area. If not, you can ask, but I'd start a new thread to do so.

Welcome!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#169445 - 04/13/05 04:46 AM
Samantha101

Reged: 04/13/05

NEWBIES QUESTION
Hope I do this right
I am use to a high protein diet and since I have cut
out the red meat and pork from my diet.
I have the shakes most of the time looks and feels awful
is this a natural reaction that will pass in time?
I checked with my doctor I am not diabetic.

Protein new
      #169447 - 04/13/05 04:48 AM
Linz

Your bod will adjust, but do make sure that you gets lots of protein from low-fat, easy to digest sources like chicken, fish and soy. You can get LOTS of protein in safely. If you're struggling, try a protein shake (make sure it's lactose and whey free).

It could also be the lower-fat diet that you're needing to adjust to btw.

So true, so true new
      #202859 - 08/05/05 12:27 PM
rlhilliard

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: Racine, WI

my doc just said here take citrucel and oh, we can put you on drugs if you want. I don't do drugs for a long term basis. I don't want to take drugs for the rest of my life. I'm looking for the alternatives. I'm glad for Heather's books too!

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

#223647 - 11/08/05 05:17 AM
Weaz

Reged: 11/08/05
Loc: Panhandle, Florida

Gosh, there is so much information here. It is overwhelming. I just want to ask one question for now before I dive in too deep. "I have hypothyroid and taking Armour Thyroid. Alot of the foods recommended for IBS contradict, or so I am lead to believe, hypothyroid. Do you or Heather have any suggestions for me?" Thank you.

Re: So true, so true new
      #223854 - 11/09/05 05:50 AM
Knewada

Reged: 11/07/05
Loc: Ohio

Rebecca
I to hate meds. I've been tring to find alternatives for relief. Doc put me on citrucel that I still take and zelnorm that only caused more problems and no longer take. I am a ferm believer that natural meds and beter nutrition (when I can stick to it) will help more than the synthetics the doc will give me.

--------------------
If one end don’t get yah, the other will.

Try starting a separate thread... new
      #223879 - 11/09/05 08:21 AM
Linz

...as your post is rather lost here. Just click on New Post when you're looking at the forum you want to post in.

But there is no reason why you have to eat soy with this diet...I'm guessin that's the main culprit.

#232363 - 12/18/05 08:57 AM
hadenough

Reged: 12/18/05

Thanks for all the useful info! I have just been dx after suffering for over 20 years. I found this website last night and I know I will be spending much time here! I am in Norfolk, Va, so if anyone knows of a support group here, let me know.

#232381 - 12/18/05 10:56 AM
Nicole1982

Reged: 12/18/05

Wow!! I didn't realise how much info there is on IBS. I have just been diagnosed with IBS so I'm a bit up in the air at the moment. I have no idea what I can have and not have. Your info will get me started thanks.

time for a bump-nt new
      #261282 - 05/03/06 10:01 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Heather, can we make this a sticky post? --nt-- new
      #261298 - 05/03/06 11:05 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#288442 - 10/30/06 10:24 AM
DivineDivaD

Reged: 10/30/06
Loc: New Hampshire

Hi... I have just purchased 2 of Heather's book, but I am still reading through them. I was diagnosed with IBS probably 20 or more years ago.... but being Italian and wanting to eat eat eat as we do in my family.... eating for IBS was NOT going to be my priority. Well now I'm 47 years old and its as though my IBS has grown into this horrid monster that has taken over my body with a vengeance. I suffer with the constipation form of IBS. I have lots of gas, bloating, cramping and its just generally annoying all the time. My biggest problem is that I am so confused with all this new information. A lot of it goes against everything I have been teaching myself for the past 3 years. I have been trying to convert my family to a mostly organic whole food diet. Thats not to say we dont "cheat" and eat out or eat desserts, but we try to eat at least 50% organic. The IBS diet is going to take me some time to digest. I have not been allowing myself to eat white bread - I thought that was the enemy. I am also confused about the "low-fat" stuff that is suggested. I don't like bottled dressings filled with preservatives so I make my own salad dressings with balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Why would eating a bottled Low fat dressing be better than that? Also I have been eating yogurt cuz I thought that was supposed to be good for the flora in your colon and would help me. I don't see any suggestions for eating yogurt or if its a trigger food cuz it's dairy.

I hope this isn't too confusing.... cuz right now my head is spinning thinking I have to re-learn how to eat at the age of 47 and how will I do that with the influences I have and always will have around me.

Can someone help me and give me some insight or just tell me how to start slowly and not overwhelm myself.

Your new newbie
DDD

--------------------
IBS-C with chronic heartburn

For DivineDivaD new
      #288464 - 10/30/06 03:06 PM
Sand

Quote:

My biggest problem is that I am so confused with all this new information. A lot of it goes against everything I have been teaching myself for the past 3 years. I have been trying to convert my family to a mostly organic whole food diet. Thats not to say we dont "cheat" and eat out or eat desserts, but we try to eat at least 50% organic.
There's no reason you can't keep eating organic on the Eating For IBS Diet. In fact, a lot of people on the Boards try to eat pretty much organic and there's at least one poster who won't touch anything but organic foods.

The IBS diet is going to take me some time to digest. I have not been allowing myself to eat white bread - I thought that was the enemy.
Well, you can take a look at this and see if it helps a little with that feeling. And you might read this, too, to understand better that the EFI Diet doesn't mean eating nothing but mushy stuff for the rest of your life: web page. Page down to "The Five Constipation Frustrations" and look especially at the second one.

If I may be permitted a minor rant, I've never understood why so many people think The Mediterranean Diet is great, what the Japanese eat is great, what the Chinese eat is great, and then turn up their noses at white bread and white rice.

I am also confused about the "low-fat" stuff that is suggested. I don't like bottled dressings filled with preservatives so I make my own salad dressings with balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Why would eating a bottled Low fat dressing be better than that?
If you have IBS your gut simply cannot tolerate a lot of fat. And your gut doesn't care how "good" the fat is - it just doesn't like it. However, there's no law that says you have to eat low-fat bottled dressing - I certainly never do. You'll have to experiment for yourself and see how much oil your body will handle - and how much salad for that matter.

In general, eating a raw salad is Advanced Eating For IBS - it's tough IF to handle until you've got your gut settled down a little bit. I was on the EFI Diet for 6 months before I tried salads but I now do pretty well with them. And I use extra-virgin olive oil on mine but I can't overdo it. And, again, I wouldn't recommend the salad or the oil-based dressing until you've gotten your IBS under better control.

Also I have been eating yogurt cuz I thought that was supposed to be good for the flora in your colon and would help me. I don't see any suggestions for eating yogurt or if its a trigger food cuz it's dairy.
It's discussed in the FAQ: web page

I hope this isn't too confusing.... cuz right now my head is spinning thinking I have to re-learn how to eat at the age of 47 and how will I do that with the influences I have and always will have around me.
I learned to eat this way at 50. For me it simply came down to misery. I was so horribly sick and this offered the chance to feel better. And the EFI Diet is NOT an unhealthy way to eat. Yes, you need a Soluble Fiber base for meals and snacks but that doesn't mean you should eat nothing but white bread, white rice, and white potatoes. Especially since you're a C, you very much need Insoluble Fiber. You'll have to find your own balance of SF and IF, but except for the trigger foods nothing is off limits. It's just a matter of what your gut will accept.

Can someone help me and give me some insight or just tell me how to start slowly and not overwhelm myself.
First, make sure you've done the required reading. You can find it on the main Message Board page or you can look at this to be sure you've hit it all.

After that, you can go one of two different ways. First, you can cut back to all SF foods for a few days (Break The Cycle), then start adding in safe protein, some fat, and IF carefully. Second, you can take a look at what you're eating now and do some substitutions. For example, if lunch is a roast beef sandwich on a whole grain roll with mayonnaise, try a roast chicken sandwich on a white roll with low-fat mayo or mustard or chutney. The white roll is your SF base - make sure you also eat some IF in the form of fruits or veggies.

This is one of my very favorite posts - it's how someone with IBS-C eats what certainly seems like a perfectly healthy diet and does well IBS-wise. Maybe her menu will give you some ideas.

You know, in general it sounds like what you're saying is, "Why doesn't my body realize I'm giving it good, healthy food? Why won't it behave when I'm treating it so well?" It's frustrating, I know. Right before I found this Website I had finally stopped eating junk for breakfast and started eating GrapeNuts and yogurt. I couldn't figure out why it almost killed me - it was so much healthier than what I'd been eating, wasn't it?

The simple fact is that when you have IBS your body has its own ideas about what is and isn't good for it. Your gut isn't asking for much - just a little something easy to digest to get it going before it's asked to handle all the tougher stuff you're sure is better for you.

HTH. Good luck and welcome to the Boards.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Thank you, Sand. -nt- new
      #288476 - 10/30/06 04:17 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: For DivineDivaD new
      #288541 - 10/31/06 08:30 AM
DivineDivaD

Thank you for all the much needed info. I feel really good about finding Heathers books and this website. I will check into all the places you suggested for reading and I appreciate you taking the time to dissect my post. You did a great job with each item I needed info on.

--------------------

#288573 - 10/31/06 02:50 PM
Reneemj

Reged: 10/06/06
Loc: San Diego, CA

Hi there Divine..

I've been in the exact same boat as you. Prior to finding out I had IBS I ate mostly low carb and EVERYTHING was whole wheat totally the opposite from the eating for IBS diet. The thought of eating white bread or sourdough really messed with my head. Well, after reading both of Heather's books and reading tons of posts on this message board I have to say that eating for IBS is the best thing that I could have found. I was stable for a couple of weeks until Sunday (I probably added to much ISF back into my diet) but now that I've cut back again on the ISF and added more SF I'm feeling better. Like I've read on many posts.. triggers and diet are different for everyone but I truly believe that if you follow Heather's eating for IBS you'll start feeling better. From there it's just trial and error. Oh and once you start feeling better you won't mind buying the white bread and sourdough.. and you can buy organic bread that's quality.

Hope some of this helps you..

Renee

#288670 - 11/01/06 11:17 AM
DivineDivaD

Hi,
I'm actually excited about eating white bread again... it's just like you said - messing with my head, because of all the things I've read and have been doing. But I know I will enjoy eating white bread, white rice and white pasta again. I'm sure it is going to take some trial and error to figure it all out, but I'm glad to have some guidelines. The doctors never gave me this much information, they just gave me the bad news.

Thanks for writing! I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions in the months to come.

DDD

--------------------

Good luck - let us know how it's going. -nt- new
      #288671 - 11/01/06 11:18 AM
Sand

--------------------

#302478 - 03/18/07 01:08 PM
jo514

Reged: 03/09/07

what can you tell me about all the wonderful things on the web about digesterol and digesterin? I have a hx of IBS that I had undercontol, but now after a stressful event, the IBS is back. All test normal except for a slight amylase elevation. The Dr has me on liberax, an antispasmotic and glycolax, which I had to stop. The BM were way to frequent and pencil thin. I am now using this sight to educate myself and the teas have helped. But the left sided pain is draining. I am mostly an IBS-C and started taking benefiber today. any feedback on the above would be appreciated. Does Anyone else get a weird sensation in their upper arms before an attack?
Thank you

#302514 - 03/18/07 08:50 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You should start a thread posing this question. You will get more feedback that way. You can also try doing a search on the boards for digesterol and digesterin.

#310224 - 06/30/07 09:13 PM
nanareth

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: Anchorage, AK

hi
this is my first post. I am being tested for IBS , I have diverticulitis and am diabetic with high blood pressure. I ordered the big kahuna kit. I have questions as to being diabetic and eating the ibs diet. can you help me? thanx, Nanareth

--------------------
NanaReth Anchorage,AK

Check here for a diabetes/IBS faq... new
      #310271 - 07/02/07 09:36 AM
HeatherAdministrator

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp#diabetes and there are also other posts on the boards about this.

Welcome!

- Heather

--------------------

Re: Check here for a diabetes/IBS faq... new
      #310483 - 07/05/07 10:29 AM
nanareth

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: Anchorage, AK

I am diabetic and IBS-D can I use Postum? in place of coffee?
Thanks,
Nanareth

--------------------
NanaReth Anchorage,AK

#312834 - 08/08/07 05:26 PM
barbara t

Reged: 08/08/07

hi everyone, i am new to the posts but have been on this site before.Been checking out the Brand Name Rec's for IBS safe foods. Bit of info that may or may not effect you. 8th Continent and Silk contain an ingredient, Carrageenan, it is a seaweed extract, used as a thickening agent in many foods and has demonstrated intestinal inflammation in animal studies.If you notice problems you may want to avoid this ingredient. It is in many foods so read your labels.

#315414 - 09/21/07 09:09 PM
Leann

Reged: 09/18/07

Hi, I am Leann and new to the board. I have IBS-A, GERD, Lupis, RSL and Fibromyalgia..... Can anyone say "train wreck"?

I am so confused and really scared, I can't seem to get stabilized and all the dr's want to do is change my medication. They sent me to a nutritionist and after reading about the foods I shouldn't be eating I realized that almost everything was wrong!

I'm not one to reach out and talk to people I don't know, I'm kinda shy, but I feel so alone and I really don't know where else to turn. My friends and family just don't get it.....

I guess I'm hoping to find "HOPE" and for someome to say "it gets better"..

Wel, that's it for now, thanks for listening,

Leann

#315424 - 09/22/07 10:15 AM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

Hi welcome to the board, I know it's all really scary, but congratulations for taking the steps to take controle of what's happening to you. I can honestly say it does get better. It will take time, but it can become easier. I am not perfectly stable, been on the diet two years, but I am very close, and alot of the pain and misery is gone. Once your on the diet awhile you realize that with some creativity, and staying in the guidlines, that there is tons of stuff to eat. I wish you luck, and know we are all here together. Like my grandad always says, there are no strangers in foxholes! welcome!

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#315456 - 09/23/07 10:15 AM
Court07

Reged: 09/23/07

I was just recently diagnosed with IBS and I am overwhelmed with all the changes. I'm just not quite sure where to start, its hard to eat that way becuase it is so large of a change and I just recently started college. Just wondering if anyone could give me a good place to start.

Court07 - IBS in college new
      #315461 - 09/23/07 12:01 PM
Sand

Welcome to the Boards.

You can do a couple of Searches, one on the Diet Board and one on the Recipe Board with no time limit looking for the word college and you'll find some old posts with suggestions to help you out.

HTH.

--------------------

#336757 - 10/06/08 08:20 AM
Alison2

Reged: 10/06/08
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Thanks JenX! Fabulous info for someone whose just found a bunch of people she wants to give a HUGE hug to!!! I'm not alone in my suffering!!!

But I also know it's not forever

#339973 - 12/23/08 10:03 PM
snackster

Reged: 12/23/08

College will be a wonderful part of your life, and we'll all get through this together, I hope. I'm at the other end of life...I'm a teacher, and this thing is hitting me hard, too. Been dealing with this since high school, and right now I can't seem to get this under control. UGH!!
Thanks to all for your encoraging words.

Hate to cook! Any ideas on microwave and frozen foods? new
      #371219 - 06/08/14 10:07 AM
susanharrington

Reged: 06/08/14

Can you eat Uncle Ben's instant rice. I love salads from the drive thru, but what should I get on them. Safe dressings? Also, how do you wean yourself off coffee if you're not a morning person?
Thank you!!!!
Susan

Re: Hate to cook! Any ideas on microwave and frozen foods? new
      #371221 - 06/08/14 06:34 PM
ArtKen

Reged: 07/12/03
Loc: Brantford, Ontario, Canada

Rice should not be a problem. I buy frozen entrees all the time but stay away from some with too much red meat or too creamy. In Canada we have a brand called Healthy Choice. Avoid Swanson's.

Re: Hate to cook! Any ideas on microwave and frozen foods? new
      #371222 - 06/08/14 07:34 PM
susanharrington

Reged: 06/08/14

Thank you. Good to know about Swanson's.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 570 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 150349

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review