Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
yoga teacher certification
      #8919 - 05/13/03 07:26 AM
canyontinsley

Reged: 04/12/03
Loc: Canyon, TX

Hello,
I was just wondering, for any yoga teachers out there, what is the most legitament way to become certified? I have IBS, love yoga, and figured what better way to make a little extra money? I would really like to become a certified teacher, but I don't know what the best way is. I've looked on the internet, but who knows what is valid and what isn't. Please give me any info you can. Thanks.
canyontinsley

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: yoga teacher certification new
      #8951 - 05/13/03 11:21 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hey there! My local yoga school, which I really like and which has wonderful instructors, just put out information about teacher training that they offer. It's in Seattle, so totally impractical for you to attend, but they have really detailed information about the training on their website.

If you go to 8 Limbs Yoga and scroll down the page a bit, you'll see the link for teacher training. It looks really interesting, and it's quite involved.

Hope this gives you some idea.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#8994 - 05/13/03 03:17 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I came across this website recently. I have no idea if will help you out or not, but here it is just in case. www.yogaalliance.org

Good Luck!

#9106 - 05/15/03 08:16 AM
YogaTeacher

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: New Hampshire

Hey Amanda,

To answer your question:

First, there are a ton of different yoga styles being practiced in the world.
Like: Ashtanga, Bikram, Anasura, Integral, Kundalini, Kripalu, Power, Kali Ray, White Lotus, prenantal, Baptiste, Tantra, Sivananda, Iyengar, Vinyasa... just to name a few. When you say that you love "yoga",
I would first take a look at what style you have been practicing and go from there. Yes, all the styles are "yoga" but they are very different. For example, some folks take what is called YogaFit, now the gym might like to call yogaFit "yoga" but it is really just a glorified aerobics class. The breath, the spirituality and all the componenets that would make it yoga are not present. Know what I mean?

Also, most yoga teacher training requires that you have had your own practice for at least a year or so. Due to the fact that yoga has become so popular people all over the world are starting to say (as you did) "Oh what a great way to make some extra money"... the problem there is, that people who have no understanding of pranayama (the breath) or the history of yoga, or the anatomy & physiology of yoga, or the effects of meditation, and the morals and ethics and what it all truly means to be a yoga teacher are looking to just jump in and teach.

I completely appreciate your enthusiasm and I do not say this to discourage you but I do say this so that you understand that a real teacher certification will take (should take) at least
a month of your life.

At the Kripalu Center in Massachusettes, you live there for a month straight (or do 3 seperate, 1 & 1/2 week sessions) to complete your training. It also costs about $2000. Other training programs can last up to a year and cost close to $5,000.

Getting truly certified is not and should not be easy. It requires, commitment, studying, practice, a love/joy for yoga and a deep desire to share that knowledge with others. Also, there is the cost of yoga insurance , so you are protected in case anything happens while you are teaching, etc.

Right now, the goverment does not regulate us to make sure that we have our certifications. However, having said that, I think it is crucial for upcoming (& some existing '"teachers") to become certified. I commend you for wanting to do it all legitimately.

The Yoga Alliance can give you a list of which, schools, studios, and teachers you can receive your 200 hour certification from or as you say which ones are valid. Also, go to www.Kripalu .org and check out their teacher training program as well.

If you have any other questions, I would be more than happy to try to answer them for you. Wishing you all the best.

K

--------------------
"You have to be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

#9360 - 05/19/03 08:36 AM
canyontinsley

Reged: 04/12/03
Loc: Canyon, TX

Thank you so much for your help. I truly hope that I did not come across as disrespectful to you. I probably worded my message wrong. I understand all of the things that you have stated. I have been studying the diet,understanding of pranayama (the breath),the history of yoga,the effects of meditation, and the morals and ethics involved for almost two years now. I realize that this is not a very long time, and I apologize for this and my ignorance. When I said I "love yoga" I did not mean just the physical aspect. I have evolved into a vegan vegetarian, practice daily meditation, white lotus and hatha yoga almost every day, and have just found such a sense of calm and happiness in my life since I began these practices. I want so badly to share this with people. I have helped my two sisters and some friends to find this as well. I have even convinced my boyfriend of the benefits of this wonderful practice, and he has agreed to practice with me. I have spoken with my instructor, who is a doctor of natuaral medicine, about the in-depth training for certification. I do not study at a gym, but as his home. I also study under another teacher at her studio. Neither of these practice aerobics, but are both educated in the true sense of yoga. I'm sorry to go on and on, but I feel so silly. I just wanted to make sure that you know that I truly have very invested intentions in my question. Again, I apologize for any disrespect I may have caused.
canyontinsley

It sounds like you'd make a wonderful teacher! -nt- new
      #9372 - 05/19/03 10:55 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#9482 - 05/20/03 10:56 AM
YogaTeacher

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: New Hampshire

I hope I did not make you feel as if your intentions were coming from anywhere but an enthusiastic & loving space. After reading your response just now it seems as if you have a wonderful background and place to launch your teaching from. I was only being so direct before (well... because it is my nature to speak truthfully and hopefully compassionately, if I failed at the latter my sincere apologies) and also because so many people have a misunderstanding of yoga (especially right now) as just being some passing trend... for me it is my way of life and it is sacred. It seems as if you can appreciate this. :>)

Please do not feel the need to apologize and if you have any further questions, I am more than happy to help. White Lotus is Founded by Tias Little & his wife? Is that right? You in California?

Peace and blessings on your yogic path,

K

--------------------
"You have to be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10803

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review