All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Welcome to the yoga board!
      #7 - 01/22/03 12:56 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Please share the most effective yoga poses and practices you've found for helping your GI problems. I've found that the more intense workouts with a lot of warrior poses and sun salutations are more helpful for me than the gentler workouts. I also really enjoy the twists, both seated and standing. The breathing practices are especially calming and are wonderful to do if I start feeling stressed out and want to do everything possible to head off an IBS attack.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Welcome to the yoga board! new
      #89 - 01/29/03 12:59 PM
Tweak

Reged: 01/29/03

Hi,
I'm glad to find this board. I used to do yoga, and felt really great. I'm now trying to get back into it, without taking a class. Doing it at home by myself is much harder than joining a class for me, but I am persisting. I love the sun salutation, and do that everyday. I'm trying out a video right now too.

#92 - 01/29/03 01:19 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi Tweak - Welcome to the board! I have found yoga really helpful for my own IBS. In particular, I've noticed that it has altogether eliminated the touchiness I always had with my period. Cramps would make me susceptible to attacks, and I had to really be careful. But after about 6 months of yoga I realized that was no longer the case. Even if I'm hit with wicked cramps (and I think the yoga is helping that too!) I am no longer more likely to have an associated IBS attack.

It is harder to do at home - I try to use videos when I can't make a class, but it takes a lot more willpower. I'm actually in the middle of producing a yoga video that is specifically for digestive health and IBS. We have a test shoot of the routines today, actually! When I have footage of the poses from that I'm going to post them at http://www.yogabellys.com

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#99 - 01/29/03 01:54 PM
Leanne

Loc: Australia

I have found both Yoga and Pilates to help with my IBS. I was attending classes, but I seem to run out of time. I have the video's at home and try to exercise weekly. I have found that walking is excellent as well, I walk when I feel stressed. In Australia we are in the middle of a very hot and dry summer, so early morning walks are fantastic.

#112 - 01/29/03 04:37 PM
juniorrachel

Loc: St. Louis, MO

i've been interested in yoga for a long time, as it seems to help many problems and is just generally very good for you.

however, i don't have ANY extra money to spend on a class, so i'm trying to learn at home. are there any good videos that you could recommend?

thanks

Beth

#119 - 01/29/03 05:25 PM
sek

Loc: Virginia, USA

Check out http://www.wailana.com. You can purchase her videos online, or you might be able to get her tv program. It comes on a local university station in the Washington D.C. area so I just record it every day. Also check your library if they have videos.

#211 - 01/30/03 08:08 PM
taconno

Reged: 01/30/03

I am a new yoga and pilates instructor and as an IBS sufferer, I have found they both have helped me tremendously prevent attacks. Many books on the market offer routines to help with stomach ailments. Iyengar's "The Path to Yoga" has a section especially for ailments which includes a section for IBS sufferers. I will put some of these poses on a future board. Heather, thanks so much for changing my life for the better!!

Re: Hi! new
      #212 - 01/30/03 08:14 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Welcome to the board! I'm so happy you're feeling better. It just makes my day to hear that.

I haven't tried Pilates but I wouldn't ever give up yoga at this point. I hate when I have to miss a single day - it's truly addicting.

I'd love for you to post helpful poses - that would be wonderful. I've learned a little about the Iyengar information from my teacher who is doing the IBS yoga video for me. She's really researched the whole area and it's been fascinating to watch her put the routines together and explain exactly how each pose is meant to help digestion.

I've heard that the University of Washington will actually be doing some research studies on yoga for various health problems, and I'm going to follow up with the folks there to see if IBS is an area they'll address. I would love to see this information become much more widely-known.

Best,
Heather

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16155

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review