Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Poor circulation
      #4730 - 03/31/03 10:23 PM
Claire

Reged: 01/27/03
Loc: Paris, France

Hello.
I have been doing an hour of yoga every morning for over a month now. Just recently, I have been having terrible circulation problems which occur mainly at night or early in the morning. I often wake up with dead arms and legs and tingling in my hands (dead hands too often). I also have aching like sensations in my joints.
Yoga has been fantastic for my IBS symptoms but I am worried about the appearence of these circulation problems.
Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Claire

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Poor circulation new
      #4733 - 03/31/03 10:30 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Claire - Good to see on the board again! I'd been wondering where you were.

I don't know what's going on with your tingling arms and legs, but I think I'd ask a doctor about that. At the very least I'd see a chiropractor. I can't imagine it's being caused by the yoga - it seems like that would help circulation.

If you get some answers please let us know.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#4765 - 04/01/03 08:50 AM
Lisa37

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Trinidad & Tobago

I have compressed nerves in my neck (stress-related) which causes the nerves leading from my neck to my arms and legs to also act up. I have tingling and numbness - mostly in my arms - less in my legs. The chiro started me on weekly electro-massage therapy (hooked me up to a tiny machine with little pads which electronically manipulated areas of my neck/back - didn't hurt at all) and since I also have back problems, I had to do a range of back exercises daily. He wanted me to continue the weekly treatments but at the moment I'm broke until I pay off for my car next year. I've had this for about 3 years but haven't done a thing about it since I ran out of money after the first 5 visits - until I'm loan-free and can afford it again.

#4876 - 04/01/03 10:38 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Claire,

Just a thought... do you do "tapping" as part of your yoga routine. My yoga teacher introduced me to it and it is great for improving circulation and waking up the body.

If you want more details let me know and i'll post them.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: Poor circulation--Tapping new
      #4888 - 04/02/03 06:03 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Kerrie,

What is tapping? I'm definately curious! Thanks!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Poor circulation--Tapping new
      #4967 - 04/02/03 09:30 PM
KinOz

Ruchie,
Standing tall you hold your left arm out at shoulder height with palm facing up. You then start "tapping" quite firmly down the arm towards the hand with the right hand. When you reach the hand you turn it over and tap back up towards the shoulder. It is recommended you do it three times then switch to the other arm.

Once you have down that bend forward from the hips and start "tapping" with both hands at the same time on the buttocks, down the back of the legs up the inside then down the outside. Again, three times.

It's great for circulation and I like to do it when I get up in the morning to get the body moving. If you want to "test" the benefits tap one arm three times then stand with both arms at your sides and your eyes closed. Tune in to the feelings and sensations in both arms and you should notice a difference in the arm you have just tapped. It will feel lighter or tingly.

Hope you enjoy it, I would recommend it to anyone who practices yoga.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: Poor circulation--Tapping Kerrie new
      #5032 - 04/03/03 04:01 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Kerrie,

THANKS BUNCHES!!!!!!!! I will def. have to give this a try! Also, thanks for responding to my other posts about stevia and colon cleansing! You're so helpful and caring!!! How are things going with you...I hope all's well! I see you have a son in the picture on the board...do you have other kids also? He's ADORABLE! How long have you been doing yoga--what level are you--and how long were you doing it when you began to see results? I'm a beginner and I've been doing yoga daily for about a month. It hasn't helped the IBS C yet so much--but it helps me release gas and tension--it's WONDERFUL! I hope you're doing well, take care, and thanks again!!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#5039 - 04/03/03 04:52 PM
KinOz

Ruchie,

That's so kind of you to say! I am touched to think that advice I can give could help others. All the wonderful people on this board have helped me so much.

My son is adorable, thank you. Although I have just emailed heather a new, more recent photo to post and he's not in it! He is 2yrs and 4 months and we love him to pieces. He's very special (I had a hard time getting pregnant). We are currently going through IVF in the hopes of a second child. So it's pretty stressful when suffering IBS on top of all that. My next embryo transfer is planned for the middle of may so hopefully I will have some good news to share shortly after that.

Yoga has helped me a lot. Probably more in mind and spirit than reduction of IBS symptoms. Like you I find some postures are great for relieving gas and bloating. I usually do a bedtime routine that includes lots of spinal twists and I have found they help constipation. It has really taught me to relax and take time for myself which helps deal with the daily stresses of IBS. Especially the breathing! I didn't realize how much shallow breathing I was doing before.

I have just ordered the IBS audio CD's so I am looking forward to trying those as I have heard lots of good things.

Thank you again for your kindness and keep me updated as to how you are going.

All the best,
Kerrie

--------------------

#5076 - 04/03/03 10:47 PM
Claire

Reged: 01/27/03
Loc: Paris, France

I wanted to thank you too Kerrie for the "tapping" tip. I just wanted to ask you when you practice your yoga and for how long. Do you find you have some aches and pains (where the stretches have been working) after practices?
Yoga and ayurveda has completely made ALL and I mean ALL (gas, diarrhea, cramps, gurgiling) my symptoms dissappear. For the moment (and I never ever say I am cured) I am totally symptom free after 6 years of pretty severe symptoms including weight loss. I am now putting on some much needed weight and have 10 times more energy than before.

I would encourage everybody to discover the wonderful ancient indian healing system - ayurveda- as it really does work wonders. It demands making some significant changes to your life and particularly learning about how certain foods help your "constitution" and how some don't correspond. It has explanations and treatments for digestive problems such as constipation and diarrhea which really do work (and I am living proof!). I wanted to share this with all the board but I was afraid of contradicting Heather's advice and I don't want to do that as I really do respect all she has done to help so many people.
Anyway, if anyone does want to know anymore, I would be happy to share my experience with them.

Claire

#5128 - 04/04/03 12:52 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Claire - I'm so glad to hear you're doing better! That is wonderful. I have heard great things about ayurvedic medicine and I really respect the tradition. It has some interesting parallels in Chinese medicine, and I think both are completely valid methods of health care. Just because something is outside the Western culture doesn't mean it can't work. I've been meaning to look into ayurvedic medicine more in-depth for a while now, as yoga practice has piqued my interest. I am delighted that it's given good results for you!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19652

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review