All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How effective is yoga for IBS?
      #40638 - 01/25/04 11:48 AM
Pebbles2k3

Reged: 01/25/04

I have been newly diagnosed. I am a fitness tech at Curves for Women. The equipment uses hydrolics for resistance and we "heartily suggest" stretching after each 30 minute workout. After loosing 29" and 45# I have NO intention of quitting but I am investigating and intend on signing up for a yoga class in the spring (if it ever arrives in this area ). I would like feedback from those of you out there who already do yoga and how it is working out.
Thanks ahead of time,

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

For me it's terrific! new
      #40690 - 01/25/04 02:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I like it and get greater benefits from yoga than from any other type of workout I've ever done. I've used the breathing and poses to head off attacks and also to help me get through attacks. Regular practice has totally eliminated menstrual cramp-related IBS problems. I've just stopped all other forms of exercise in favor of yoga for the past few years, and would never go back.

And congrats on your weight loss!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: For me it's terrific! new
      #43118 - 02/04/04 04:27 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I have a question. I love yoga and do it once a week at my gym. The thing is that sometimes I feel like it might cause an attack of IBS. It's a pilates/yoga class (BodyFlow)that's intermediate. Do you think pilates ab work can be bad for IBS?

#43194 - 02/04/04 08:33 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi, and welcome! If you're doing intense ab work that could increase your gut muscle contractions internally, and possibly trigger diarrhea if your colon starts spasming. You might want to try a class that is still an intermediate workout, but goes in a slower and more flowing style that holds poses longer. There might also be breath work that could help you through the ab poses (ask the instructor). Or, just modify the ab poses/intensity yourself during that part of the workout, so you don't upset your gut.

Hope this helps a bit!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#43217 - 02/05/04 07:04 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I do straight Pilates and have IBS-D and it has not caused an attack for me. I am still at the beginner level though. I think the breathing is very important -- and of course - it's different for each person. Between the Pilates and eating right for IBS I have lost 36 pounds and 41 inches. (so far)

#43516 - 02/06/04 01:50 PM
Sara-Sage

Hi, it isn't my imagination that it causes spasms. Maybe I should stick to yoga. I have a video that's for stress release and meditation which is great.

Thanks.

video name new
      #43666 - 02/07/04 06:05 PM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

could you let us know what the name is of the video that you like? thanks

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

Re: video name new
      #45224 - 02/16/04 02:44 PM
Sara-Sage

One is called "Conditioning for Stress Release" by Yoga Zone. The other one that I like is called "Relaxation Workout" by Stott Pilates.

Re: video name new
      #46011 - 02/21/04 06:20 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

Yoga for Dummies is a great one.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13470

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review