All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Burn 25 cal a min. with pilates - it's gentle yoga-type stretches
      #31494 - 12/11/03 06:39 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

Pilates burns 1,500 cal per hr.
Here are 3 pilate moves I found in a magazine. I wish I found more. It's great exercise.
Concetrated Kicks
Lie on back, shoulders, raised, abs tensed, knees pulled in chest. Holding calf of your bent left knee, extend right leg up and out. Bend right knee in toward chest as you extend left leg out. Do 20 sets, switching arms and legs in a controlled sisscor like motion.

Power pushes
Lying face down, raise body in a push up postion with arms and legs straight. Flex left foot slowly, raise left leg 6 inches as you firmly contract thigh and buttock muscles. Hold for two counts, then lower leg slowly a few inches. Do 10 lifts. Switch, repeat.

Lengthening reaches
Lie on back, hold knees to chest with arms, abs tensed and head raised off floor. Extend legs at 45 degree angle as you straighten arms above head.Hold 5 sec. Return to starting position.
Repeat.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Burn 25 cal a min. with pilates - it's gentle yoga-type stretches new
      #31701 - 12/13/03 10:22 AM
Anne11

Reged: 11/26/03

Thanks for the pilates exercises. I have found it very bene ficial having started 2 weeks ago with an exercise video. Breathing seems to me the best thing I take away from doing the exercise all day. Have you learned the 100th breath? Anne11

100th breath? How interesting - can you explain? -nt- new
      #31802 - 12/14/03 01:21 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#31832 - 12/14/03 05:43 PM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

I love Pilates! I take class twice a week and have been getting stronger a little at a time. Couldn't do the 'plank' at all at first but can hold it for about 15 seconds now. I am pretty skeptical about the amount of calories you say it burns though- I should be losing more weight from this! Where did you get that calorie info? Linda

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

#31839 - 12/14/03 06:04 PM
till

I read in a magazine that experts say you burn 25 cal per min. It's hard to lose weight on the IBS diet since it's high in carbs.
Lemons, cranberries, oranges, help people lose weight I also read in a magazine. Cinnamon helps prevent the body from storing fat too!

#31840 - 12/14/03 06:06 PM
till

I never heard of the 100th breath. What is it?

Re: "The Hundreds" new
      #31944 - 12/15/03 12:57 PM
YogaTeacher

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: New Hampshire

I may be wrong, but I think what you might be referring to is actually called "The hundreds".... which is one of the first exercise you do in Pilates. "The hundreds" which consists of ten breaths of ten counts to equal 100. You lie on the floor, lift your legs up to about a 45 degree angle, or wherever you can hold them, and keep your back flat. While holding your legs in the air you engage the abdominals and lift your head and shoulders off the mat so you are in a scoop. Then you pump your arms by your side, almost as if you were slapping on water, pumping them up and down. Because both your legs and head are up in the air it forces the blood to go to your heart and pumping your arms back and forth forces the blood through your body. You're getting your circulation going and stimulating your organs making it both an internal and an external workout. Hope this helps.

--------------------
"You have to be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Re: "The Hundreds" new
      #32881 - 12/19/03 05:41 PM
till

Actually it's called "The Hundred". I got an excellent Pilate tape recently and that was the first exercise.

#33571 - 12/24/03 05:31 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I love Pilates!!!! I don't know how many calories it helps burn in particular -- but I'll share why I like it.

1. It builds lean muscle. I am only 5 feet tall and lots of workout programs build bulky muscle that just makes me look bigger. I wanted to lose weight and look thinner -- not heavier.

2. There are varying levels of difficulty -- and you can modify the workout and build up as you get stronger.

3. It's not the jumping around hard-on-your-joints type of a workout that a very out of shape person could not do -- or someone who is having an IBS flare up could not do. This is something that makes me feel better.

4. The history of this program is what dancers (ballet) used to get in shape. There is nothing questionable to make me wonder if I should or should not use it as a Christian.

I am using Mari Windsors DVD's and loving them -- and getting stronger all the time. I haven't been very consistent -- but when I am -- it feels so good. If you have any questions about them -- let me know. I'd be glad to help - if I can.

Peggy

#33893 - 12/27/03 04:58 PM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Hi Peggy; I just received "Pilates" vhs tape for Christmas. I haven't had time to look at it. But what you just said it sounds great!! Let you know if I like these exercises or not. take care Sue

Sounds Great! new
      #33899 - 12/27/03 05:47 PM
kshsmom

Let me know for sure --- maybe knowing someone else is doing it will also help inspire me to stay motivated!

Re: Sounds Great! new
      #35091 - 01/04/04 09:46 AM
suzyq

WEll I looked at the tape and it looks interesting. I tried a few moves this morning and I believe I will like doing Pilates. Let me know if you try them. take care Sue

#35141 - 01/04/04 05:49 PM
kshsmom

I did it once over the Christmas break -- and I watched the next tape up and plan on trying it this week --- I'm hoping to do it at least 3 times a week. I really like doing it -- and it really seems to work. Just doing the basic intro tape helped me a lot -- I can't wait to see what the regular tape can do! (I'm a little afraid too -- I bet it'll be hard work!!)

#35457 - 01/06/04 06:42 AM
suzyq

Ok so I did the Pilates.A little stiff this morning!! But I really enjoyed doing them. Cardio first then abs last. Actually I found out I had muscles where I didn't think I had any! Will be doing 3 times a week! Take care Sue

#46196 - 02/23/04 01:01 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Started back up with combo pilates and yoga today. finished with The Hundred and can feel my stomach muscles already! GREAT workout. i like to combine moves from them both, because they accomplish different things. pilates so strongly emphasizes the core muscles, and i love that. makes the abs stronger!

--------------------

Winsor Pilates.......... new
      #47699 - 03/03/04 08:42 AM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

Ok I just ordered the winsor pilates...does anyone else have it? Do you like it? I've never done it before, but I've heard lots of good things about it! I'm excited to get it and try it out!

--------------------

Edited by StephS (03/03/04 08:42 AM)

Let me know what you think - I've heard good things too! -nt- new
      #47766 - 03/03/04 02:10 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35678

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review