All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Arm Chair Yoga Question
      #25424 - 11/04/03 08:35 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Have any of you had any experience with any of the "Yoga At Your Desk" DVD's, or CD-ROM's? I believe it is often called "Arm Chair Yoga"? I've only seen 2 different ones on line for sale and know nothing about them. Maybe YogaTeacher and a few of you other experts could advise. I personally LOVE going to yoga classes but this is for friends and a family member who would benefit greatly from yoga.
Thanks, Kandee

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Arm Chair Yoga Question new
      #25469 - 11/04/03 11:28 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Haven't seen these CDs, but I've had a few plane rides where there were in-flight movies that led you along in chair-yoga. It was interesting. I did the moves, and they did help get circulation going after being stuck in a seat for hours. They help more upper body than lower, obviously, but if you get up and walk around after doing the moves that would probably be a good combo.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#25538 - 11/04/03 07:09 PM
YogaTeacher

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: New Hampshire

Hi Kandee,

Just to be clear, I think you might be talking about 2 different kinds of yoga CD's. There are some geared towards "Office yoga" for folks that are sitting all day long, or travel on planes a lot etc.

Then there are others called "ArmChair Yoga" which are for folks that have a hard time transitioning from standing to the floor etc. This is usually geared more towards seniors and those who might be wheelchair bound. This is supposed to be very gentle.

Depending on the person you are buying it for, one of these maybe more appropriate than the other. Hope this helps.

Peace,
K

--------------------
"You have to be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

#25544 - 11/04/03 08:47 PM
Kandee

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your insight…………

Good points…... I didn't realize there would be such a significant difference in the 2 but there is. What I ran across recently was this: http://www.yogaheart.com/sitting_yoga.htm and thought at first it was what I was looking for but after reading your note I realized it was more for office folks even though it LOOKS like it is geared more towards seniors.

Hmmm, I do believe what I want is a combination of the two. What I'm after is one that is geared toward a 65 year old senior male who can't get up and down from the floor easily because of hip reconstruction surgery 2 years ago but who works at the computer for long hours. (He rarely uses a cane and that's only for anticipated long periods of walking.) He wouldn't fit in at the yoga classes of mostly younger females but is in better shape than the wheelchair bound seniors who can only do more gentle movements. As his wife, and the one who is always trying to promote more movement of any kind, I thought it might be a fun way (new way) to sneak a little more exercise into his exhaustingly long work hours. Knowing how yoga has helped my IBS I'm a firm believer it can help just about anyone with anything!!!

Any more thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Kandee

--------------------

#25639 - 11/05/03 11:17 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Kandee, I'm not sure if this would be an option for you, but you might want to have a local yoga teacher come give your husband some private lessons geared specifically towards his abilities. Many yoga teachers offer private instruction - check your local yoga school and ask, and specify that you're looking for someone who can work with an older person in chair positions. Sometimes yoga teachers will even specialize in something like this.

You might then be able to get one of the office yoga CDs, and your husband could modify any of the poses that are too difficult with suggestions from the teacher. She should be able to work with him in person and also give him routines that he can practice on his own, maybe just using the tape as a general guideline.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Arm Chair Yoga Question (great idea) new
      #25677 - 11/05/03 02:06 PM
Kandee

Thank you Heather. That IS a viable option and one worth pursuing. I have, in mind, the perfect local yoga teacher candidate for the job who just might be willing to work with him……
Thanks for the suggestion. It was one that surely didn't come to MY mind.
Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9841

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review