All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Yoga Teacher
      #213 - 01/30/03 08:24 PM
YogaTeacher

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: New Hampshire

Just wanted to say hello to all of you. As you can see by my user name,I am a Yoga teacher but I also have had IBS for 18 years. Yoga does make such a difference in helping to manage the stress and symptoms that come along with IBS. Although there is no "cure" for IBS at this point in time, how we treat oureslves and others for that matter (ie, getting enough rest, eating nutritious food, practicing yoga, daily meditation, some sort of exercise & play, compassion & kindness etc) can make a temendous difference in how our "disorder" shows up in our lives. Thanks to Heather for sharing her passion & wisdom and for creating a way,a community really, for all of us to communicate and share with. My best to all of you on your journey. Breathe and be well. I look forward to "talking" with you all. Peace.

--------------------
"You have to be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thank you! -nt- new
      #214 - 01/30/03 08:26 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Yoga Teacher new
      #302 - 02/02/03 08:29 AM
Yolanda

Reged: 02/01/03

Hello! I am also in NH! (Lakes Region) and I use Yoga for IBS relief. I go to one class a week (twice when I'm really lucky) but using the deep, three part breathing all the time. It has made a difference in my life. I just wanted to say hello, I'm glad to meet you!

#350 - 02/03/03 02:10 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi,
I started using Yoga for IBS relief about 5 months ago and am enjoying it. (I live in Australia) Do you find there are any specific postures which are really helpful for bloating?
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#376 - 02/04/03 09:09 AM
Yolanda

I like to do any of the twists when I'm feeling bloated, but I like the (I don't know the name) one where you lay down on your back, one leg straight one leg bent, arm palms down to the side, and then put the bent leg over the straight one stretching to the floor, head facing the other direction. Sometimes I'd leave my hands on my tummy if it's to much stretch. I have also heard that making sure you breath through your tummy, your tummy rises and falls with each breath instead of your chest, is very good for IBS. Anyone else have a favorite?

#539 - 02/07/03 05:57 PM
YogaTeacher

Hi Yolanda,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you but I haven't been able to access the board for a few days but think I have the glitch figured out. It's nice to meet you too... I'm curious, what style of yoga do you practice? Let's stay in touch. be well,

K

--------------------

#540 - 02/07/03 06:00 PM
YogaTeacher

Hi Yolanda,

The favorite posture that you are describing is called "Knee Down Twist" just so you know. (hee-hee) Geez, I have way too many favorites to list here.... Peace,

K

--------------------

#541 - 02/07/03 06:07 PM
YogaTeacher

Hi Kerrie,

If the bloating you are experiencing is due to gas then one of the best postures I know for relief is laying flat on your back and either drawing both kness up to your chest and wrapping you arms around the knees to pull the tops of the thighs closer towards the torso/belly or you can do one leg at a time while leaving the opposite leg flat on the floor extended out... interestingly enough these postures are called wind relieving pose. If you pass gas while doing these postures it is completely normal and actually shows that it is helping relieve your discomfort... As Yolanda pointed out gentle spinal twisit often help people too. also I find that herbal peppermint tea can be very soothing for excessive bloating as well. Let me know if these help.... Yours in yoga, peace,

K

--------------------

#566 - 02/08/03 06:23 AM
Yolanda

Honestly, I don't know. I go Joy of Yoga, my teachers name is Joanie, but I've never asked what kind we do. I went to an open house on a whim a few years ago, and haven't looked back since! How do you tell what kind you are doing?

#650 - 02/11/03 07:53 AM
sek

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Virginia, USA

I tried the one with the knees pulled to the chest last night. It worked really well and this was after a half hour on the treadmill didn't release any 'wind'. Thanks for the tip, Yoga Teacher.

#701 - 02/12/03 01:18 AM
UKKath

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Britain

Hi K
I am in love with this page which is bringing people with the same distressing problems together from all over the world (i am in the UK) so i thought i would let you know i am going to my first Yoga session tonight and am really hoping it will help as nothing else seems to be at the moment, slow going!
K

#738 - 02/12/03 11:10 AM
Olgis

Reged: 02/04/03

Thank You. You answered my question on the wind pose. I have attended Hatha Yoga classes, have YOGA DVD's which I have not been able to use due to a flare of fibromyalgia and arthritis on my left knee. By the way, YOGA is highly recommended for IBS in many circles, I am so glad you are to help us. My rheumy has recommended I practice some "light" Yoga. Can you please recommend poses for the knees which are not too strenous, such as Warrior?

Namaste,

Olgis

#817 - 02/13/03 08:33 AM
UKKath

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Britain

Just to say that i did my first yoga class last night, and although i didnt particularly enjoy it i seem to be feeling better since, more energy and slept a little better though still not great, and had a good BM this morning. i will certainly persue this activity.
K

#830 - 02/13/03 11:43 AM
Agony

Reged: 02/13/03

What if you don't have access to a Yoga class in your area? Are there any videos or self-help materials available for us who live in the sticks?

#836 - 02/13/03 12:00 PM
Yolanda

I've found some great used Yoga Video's on E-bay. How about the library? They may have a few books or video's you could try. Good luck!

Yoga video for IBS new
      #837 - 02/13/03 12:05 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - I'm working on producing a yoga video that is specifically for improving GI health. I have had really great results from yoga, both classes and practicing at home. The best video I have is by David Swenson, it's ashtanga style. I have the beginner level, which is a bit of a joke because the routine is brutal. I can't even imagine the advanced routine! He also has a "short forms" tape with 15, 30, 45 minute workouts on it that I'd like to get. His tapes are at amazon.com.

I'll let you know when the IBS yoga tape is done.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Yoga video for IBS new
      #904 - 02/14/03 02:56 PM
KinOz

Heather,
that would be great and I would love a copy,
Thanks,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#909 - 02/14/03 08:30 PM
YogaTeacher

I pretty much live in the sticks too, so I hear what your saying. There is a TON of videos and ways to access Yoga besides actually physically going to a class. I can give you some websites to visit if you want to check things out and just aheads up that Heather will be putting out an IBS specific Yoga tape in the fall.

peace,

K

--------------------

#910 - 02/14/03 08:34 PM
YogaTeacher

Your very welcome. Be well.

peace,

K

--------------------

#911 - 02/14/03 08:36 PM
YogaTeacher

Hi UK,

How did your first yoga Class go? Do you know what style of Yoga it was? Keep me posted and feel free toask any questions. Be well.

peace,

K

--------------------

#912 - 02/14/03 08:39 PM
YogaTeacher

Hey UK,

I just read your post that said.. "although I didn't particularly enjoy it (meaning the yoga class)... I am curious, what about it specifically didn't you like?

Glad to hear you slept better though.

peace,
K

--------------------

#913 - 02/14/03 08:41 PM
YogaTeacher

Hey yolanda,

At your next class ask the teacher what style they are teaching or tell me what video/book your are using and that might help me figure it out too.

Peace,

K

--------------------

#1293 - 02/23/03 06:19 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

how does someone who is not very limber or flexible start in to to yoga. I would like to give it a try.I have never done it before.

Re: Yoga video? new
      #8361 - 05/06/03 12:15 PM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

Heather,

I just wanted to check in and see if you were still working on the Yoga for GI health video, and how it was going.

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#8371 - 05/06/03 01:21 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi Heather - Yep, we're working on it, and should do a final shoot within the next 2-3 months. Then it's just a matter of getting the DVDs made and out there. I will post when the video is done - I'm pretty excited, as I've been following the routine Blair (the teacher) came up with and it's really helpful (and enjoyable too).

Sorry this project is taking so long...

Best,
Heather

--------------------

Re: Don't be sorry! new
      #8402 - 05/06/03 04:50 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Heather - All of your projects (boards, books, etc) have been worth the wait! They all show the time and effort you've put into them, which is why they are great quality. So, keep taking your time...we love the final products!

Just thought I'd put my two cents in there!

Aw, thanks! -nt- new
      #8403 - 05/06/03 04:56 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

#8446 - 05/07/03 07:18 AM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

That is awesome, I am so excited! Like Mags said, don't be sorry, your projects are the best. The boards have been so helpful, and your recipes are awesome. I made 4 loaves of banana bread this weekend!

Take your time with the video, I just remembered the post from awhile back and wanted to see how it was going for you.

Take care, and thanks!

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#9334 - 05/18/03 05:27 PM
jessica9610

Reged: 05/04/03
Loc: Central New Jersey

is there a yoga home video????

#9373 - 05/19/03 10:58 AM
HeatherAdministrator

We're working on it! The yoga for IBS tape/DVD has been in production for about 6 months, and we just have to do a final shooting and then edit. I hope to have the project wrapped up by fall or Christmas at the latest. It's on hold for the next month or two while I do some website work, but after that it's my top priority.

I'll let you know when it's finally done, and actually at that time I hope to have the instructor on the boards to answer questions (she doesn't really have regular internet access right now).

There is a site with some poses just for digestive health at yogabellys

Best,
Heather

--------------------

Re: Yoga video for IBS-sounds great! -nt- new
      #9422 - 05/19/03 07:22 PM
KinOz

--------------------

#9450 - 05/20/03 06:47 AM
YogaTeacher

Hello,

Are you specifically looking for a yoga video for IBS or just a yoga video in general?

--------------------

MeeToo, I'd love a copy N/T new
      #10095 - 05/27/03 07:50 PM
Kris

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: Vancouver Island, BC

--------------------
Be the change you want to see in the world.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 92625

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review