All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Yoga Teacher
      #213 - 01/30/03 08:24 PM
YogaTeacher

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: New Hampshire

Just wanted to say hello to all of you. As you can see by my user name,I am a Yoga teacher but I also have had IBS for 18 years. Yoga does make such a difference in helping to manage the stress and symptoms that come along with IBS. Although there is no "cure" for IBS at this point in time, how we treat oureslves and others for that matter (ie, getting enough rest, eating nutritious food, practicing yoga, daily meditation, some sort of exercise & play, compassion & kindness etc) can make a temendous difference in how our "disorder" shows up in our lives. Thanks to Heather for sharing her passion & wisdom and for creating a way,a community really, for all of us to communicate and share with. My best to all of you on your journey. Breathe and be well. I look forward to "talking" with you all. Peace.

--------------------
"You have to be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thank you! -nt- new
      #214 - 01/30/03 08:26 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Yoga Teacher new
      #302 - 02/02/03 08:29 AM
Yolanda

Reged: 02/01/03

Hello! I am also in NH! (Lakes Region) and I use Yoga for IBS relief. I go to one class a week (twice when I'm really lucky) but using the deep, three part breathing all the time. It has made a difference in my life. I just wanted to say hello, I'm glad to meet you!

#350 - 02/03/03 02:10 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi,
I started using Yoga for IBS relief about 5 months ago and am enjoying it. (I live in Australia) Do you find there are any specific postures which are really helpful for bloating?
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#376 - 02/04/03 09:09 AM
Yolanda

I like to do any of the twists when I'm feeling bloated, but I like the (I don't know the name) one where you lay down on your back, one leg straight one leg bent, arm palms down to the side, and then put the bent leg over the straight one stretching to the floor, head facing the other direction. Sometimes I'd leave my hands on my tummy if it's to much stretch. I have also heard that making sure you breath through your tummy, your tummy rises and falls with each breath instead of your chest, is very good for IBS. Anyone else have a favorite?

#539 - 02/07/03 05:57 PM
YogaTeacher

Hi Yolanda,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you but I haven't been able to access the board for a few days but think I have the glitch figured out. It's nice to meet you too... I'm curious, what style of yoga do you practice? Let's stay in touch. be well,

K

--------------------

#540 - 02/07/03 06:00 PM
YogaTeacher

Hi Yolanda,

The favorite posture that you are describing is called "Knee Down Twist" just so you know. (hee-hee) Geez, I have way too many favorites to list here.... Peace,

K

--------------------

#541 - 02/07/03 06:07 PM
YogaTeacher

Hi Kerrie,

If the bloating you are experiencing is due to gas then one of the best postures I know for relief is laying flat on your back and either drawing both kness up to your chest and wrapping you arms around the knees to pull the tops of the thighs closer towards the torso/belly or you can do one leg at a time while leaving the opposite leg flat on the floor extended out... interestingly enough these postures are called wind relieving pose. If you pass gas while doing these postures it is completely normal and actually shows that it is helping relieve your discomfort... As Yolanda pointed out gentle spinal twisit often help people too. also I find that herbal peppermint tea can be very soothing for excessive bloating as well. Let me know if these help.... Yours in yoga, peace,

K

--------------------

#566 - 02/08/03 06:23 AM
Yolanda

Honestly, I don't know. I go Joy of Yoga, my teachers name is Joanie, but I've never asked what kind we do. I went to an open house on a whim a few years ago, and haven't looked back since! How do you tell what kind you are doing?

#650 - 02/11/03 07:53 AM
sek

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Virginia, USA

I tried the one with the knees pulled to the chest last night. It worked really well and this was after a half hour on the treadmill didn't release any 'wind'. Thanks for the tip, Yoga Teacher.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 92620

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review