All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
hello everyone
      #19231 - 09/01/03 12:09 AM
YOGAPUG

Reged: 09/01/03

Hi there,
I have been practicing yoga for 6 years now.
I think I have IBS. This past week I have had gas and cramps and all the other symptoms. I had IBS in my twenties, then I was fine with bouts here and there. I have been under stress, so I guess that is what is happening. I am getting checked next week. Meanwhile I have spasms and I am uncomfortable.
At least yoga is a sanctuary for me, and has trained me to breathe correctly even when I am not physically doing the poses. This is a great relaxant and energizer!
I am out here in Los Angeles and study with Bryan Kest and Seane Corn. I highly recommend Bryan's tapes. He is funny and reminds you to do only what is comfortable for you. He has beginner tapes as well. His style is ashtanga based (vinyasa flow).
His website is poweryoga.com if anyone is interested.
I will keep you posted about my condition, I worry it is more serious and I get scared!
Take care,
Kathie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: hello everyone new
      #19274 - 09/01/03 11:46 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Kathie, and welcome! I too find yoga really helpful for my IBS, both in and out of class.

Have you been officially diagnosed with IBS? I just want to make sure that that's what's really going on here, and you're not self-diagnosing. This is especially important if your symptoms now aren't the same as in your twenties - there could be something new happening.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re:diagnoses new
      #19281 - 09/01/03 12:14 PM
YOGAPUG

Hi Heather
I am seeing the Dr. next week. Until then I worry. The symptoms seem to be the same as before. Only thing, can the cramping and spasms last for 3 days? I have had this with some brief breaks of -no spasms. I have a crampy feeling below my belly button and get others as well.
Thanks
kathie

Re:diagnoses new
      #19302 - 09/01/03 04:49 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - glad to hear you're seeing your doc. Yes, an attack with spasms could last three days. Typically, you'd be on-off with symptoms over those three days, and not caught in one long cramp for three days straight without a break. But sometimes attacks are pretty non-stop for several days on end, and you could be touchy for a week or two straight. What you don't want is a diagnosis of IBS when you have non-stop, chronic symptoms for months on end without a break. That does not fit the diagnostic criteria of IBS.

Try some really hot, strong peppermint tea for the spasms. It can help a lot!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks Heather new
      #19317 - 09/01/03 09:33 PM
YOGAPUG

Thanks Heather,
I had a bout of this a month ago, then it went away. This is lasting longer.One time I also had to run to the bathroom at a nail appt, and had diarrea (watery)sorry to be gross! This has happened too on and off (when I was going somewhere of course)!
I am almost afraid to eat because of the effects later on!
Thanks for the tea suggestion, I remembered that worked when I had a upset stomach.

Re: hello everyone new
      #19859 - 09/07/03 07:04 PM
YogaTeacher

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: New Hampshire

Hi Kathie,

Welcome to the boards. Sorry to hear that you have been in a cycle of attacks... let us know what the doctor has to say. Yes, LA is a great place to study... I moved back East from Burbank, CA about 5 years ago but I am familiar with both Bryan (and his tapes) and Seane. Great teachers. Keep at it. Hope you feel better soon.

Peace,
K

--------------------
"You have to be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14018

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review