All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Pillow for Yoga Class
      #135469 - 01/05/05 04:31 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

So I finally enrolled my butt in a yoga class and am very excited to start it! Unfortunately I have to wait until February 3rd. I know it will be much better for me than the videos because I have no self motivation to do them.

In the class description, it mentioned to bring a mat and pillow to class. What type of pillow do I bring? A small pillow or a regular size one? Do they sell yoga pillows? (not sure I've seen them!)

I've already got a yoga mat and will be buying some comfy stretch pants for class when I make my Christmas gift returns this weekend.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pillow for Yoga Class new
      #135643 - 01/06/05 09:07 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

So I finally enrolled my butt in a yoga class and am very excited to start it! Again....I'm so proud of ya!! Unfortunately I have to wait until February 3rd. I know it will be much better for me than the videos because I have no self motivation to do them. me too!!

In the class description, it mentioned to bring a mat and pillow to class. What type of pillow do I bring? A small pillow or a regular size one? I've never seen them USED in my classes, do you know that it is for? head or legs? I'm guessing just a regular bed pillow would be fine Do they sell yoga pillows? (not sure I've seen them!) I've seen like buckwheat ones and eye pillows on some of the yoga supply sites, but I personally would not spend the money on one.

I've already got a yoga mat and will be buying some comfy stretch pants for class when I make my Christmas gift returns this weekend. hehehe.... I'll be doing that next week when Shane is out of town....I saved it so I would have something to do to keep my mind off of missing him.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#135738 - 01/06/05 11:23 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

The pillow is used to sit on, just to have support where the bones in your bottom feel like they are touching the floor. And, to put under your knees when doing poses like lunges. The woman on my video uses a fluffy towel, I use a throw that I have on my couch.....something like that. It doesn't have to be a large pillow. Just something for cushion. Can't wait to hear about your Yoga class, there is not one close to where I live, sooooo I am using the video. I am a procrastinator, I have to MAKE myself turn it on.

#135789 - 01/06/05 01:29 PM
Jennifer Rose

Oooh I just remembered that I have a brown soft square pillow that I will bring in. I don't really use it for anything (doesn't match my poor college student decor LOL) so I will bring that one into class. And it's perfect for my butt!

Thanks Shell and Gayla!

--------------------
- Jennifer

You might call the school - most schools have all the props that you'd need new
      #135865 - 01/06/05 05:18 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

including mats, pillows, blocks, straps, etc. Odds are they've got what you need, and you can try different props, and then buy the ones that you use the most and like best.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: You might call the school - most schools have all the props that you'd need new
      #136019 - 01/07/05 08:50 AM
Jennifer Rose

It's actually not a school, unfortunately. It's a class through a city's recreation program so yoga is not the only thing they teach. That would have been an easy solution, though!

I think I will just bring my brown pillow the first day and if I need a different, one I can go buy one.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: You might call the school - most schools have all the props that you'd need new
      #136073 - 01/07/05 11:06 AM
Shell Marr

Is there a phone number at the center you can call and ask?

--------------------

#136074 - 01/07/05 11:07 AM
Jennifer Rose

There is, but it's a registration number. It's kind of like college.. where each teacher does their own thing and doesn't really communicate to the main center except what their class is about.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#136076 - 01/07/05 11:09 AM
Shell Marr

Yeah, just wing it the first day then......LOL That is more your style anyways! hehehe

--------------------

#136084 - 01/07/05 11:17 AM
Jennifer Rose

True.. maybe I will bring some helium balloons with a huge fan and see what happens.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#136095 - 01/07/05 11:35 AM
Shell Marr

LOL....too funny!!

--------------------

Maybe I can help... new
      #137461 - 01/11/05 06:17 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Here's my opinion... The pillow is to help you with more difficult postures, depending on your flexibility. If you are seated in a lotus posture, you might want to use a pillow to sit on and prop your hips up and forward.

The pillow can be used for the final relaxation under your head. It can also be used if you have meditation at the end as well and you will use it to half 'sit' on.

The pillow should be the size of a throw cushion for a couch -- not the full size bed pillow.

Hope thah helps. Good luck!

Re: Maybe I can help... new
      #137474 - 01/11/05 07:48 PM
Jennifer Rose

Ooh perfect - mine is the size of a couch throw pillow.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#137593 - 01/12/05 10:05 AM
Shell Marr

WWOOOHHOOO.... that is great info!!

--------------------

#137818 - 01/12/05 03:12 PM
Sara-Sage

Great!

#137819 - 01/12/05 03:13 PM
Sara-Sage

Good luck with your class.

I start a new one tomorrow night at a new place and with a new instructor. Yipee.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 30997

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review