All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
This might be a silly question, but...
      #135144 - 01/05/05 05:38 AM
The Cat Whisperer

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

I've been seeing more and more about how Yoga can be very theraputic for IBS, I've had IBS for about 4 years now and have been trying to cope with it using mainly drugs (Paxil, Immodium), but recently have gone off the Paxil and cut the immodium back quite a bit while taking metamucil. I'm looking for other ways to improve my condition and well, Yoga looks good...

(getting to the point...)

I don't think I've ever seen a man in a yoga class before (i've passed by a few classes at the gym...) I know this is probably stupid, but should I take yoga? If so, are there certain positions that are more for men/women? I feel foolish asking the question, but well, I just don't know

Any help would be appreciated. My gym does offer beginner yoga classes (and actually we have a Yoga teacher in my office, just not sure how to approach her about possible lessons...)

/c

--------------------
Christien Lomax (TheCatWhisperer)
thecatwhisperer@gmail.com
http://www.thecatwhisperer.net

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: This might be a silly question, but... new
      #135202 - 01/05/05 08:23 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

The only silly question is one that is NOT asked

I take Yoga on Friday's at my gym as well... there are a few guys in the class every week and all different age groups too. Don't be shy...it will really help ya!! Ask the instructor at the gym about the poses before the class starts.... I would say to be careful WHEN doing poses that really would stretch your groin area. i.e. Frog but other then that.... just enjoy....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Edited by Shell Marr (01/05/05 08:24 AM)

My classes have about 50/50 men and women! new
      #135256 - 01/05/05 10:20 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

When I started several years ago, it was mostly women, but now that has completely evened out. About half the instructors are men, too. I don't think there's any pose that is meant just for women or just for men that you'd be doing in a regular class - this would actually be an interesting question for a teacher, though.

If you want to see something really spectacular, get a yoga video by David or Doug Swenson - they're incredible!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6356

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review