All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Colonic Massage and Yoga position
      #12889 - 07/01/03 09:06 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I'm new to this part of the board but wanted to share the following two exercises that have helped move things along for this IBS-Cer.

Colonic Massage:

Perform the massage either sitting on the toilet or lying down with your knees bent. Make a fist with your right hand and massage your colon using a digging, circular motion with your knuckles. Start at the lower right quadrant of your abdomen (just inside your hip bone) and work up to under the right side of your ribcage, then straight across, then down the left quadrant of your abdomen and when you get to just inside your left hip bone, massage in towards your groin/pubic bone. The idea is to massage the length of your colon which starts at the lower right quadrant of your abdomen and then up in a horseshoe shape under the ribs and down to the lower left quadrant of your abdomen. The rectal canal then extends from the lower left quadrant diagonally across to the groin (or pubic bone). Repeat this massage several times experimenting with varying pressure and your massage technique. This is a fantastic technique that can be used by anyone during, or to encourage, a bowel movement. It also relieves colic in newborns by helping them expel gas and stool.

Yoga Position (beware if you have bad knees):

Sit in a kneeling position, on top of the bottom of your feet. Slowly lower yourself on to your back, spreading feet apart so that you back can rest comfortably on the ground (or close to it). Gently raise your arms over your head, elbows at your ears and breathe deeply several times. You'll feel a great stretch in your midsection.

If I'm trying to pass gas, I use the following position to help move things along. Get down on your hands and knees. Arch your back up (like a cat) while breathing. Then arch your back downward slowly, again breathing. I repeat this until I start to feel the gurgle in my tummy which signals that things are moving along. I usually practice all three before finding relief.

I'm NOT a yoga expert, but I have been self-practicing for about a year. The above techniques work for ME, and obviously not everyone. BE CAREFUL!!

--------------------
~jules

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Colonic Massage and Yoga position new
      #13003 - 07/02/03 10:09 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Jules,

Thanks! This is VERY helpful! I've found that lying on my back, lifting my tush, and holding my breath helps get things moving for me when I'm gassy...but I'm definately going to try these techniques too! Thanks again!!!!'

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#13010 - 07/02/03 10:52 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

For the reclining position, it helps the knees to spread the legs wide before you start moving your upper body down towards the ground. The closer your legs are together, the harder on your knees. Also, you can use a bolster or a rolled-up blanket beneath your back in this position if you can't comfortably get your back on the ground (and most people can't, so don't worry about it!)

I love this position - it feels wonderful.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#13287 - 07/07/03 07:32 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Jules,

Thank you SO MUCH! The colonic massage works wonders! I was having attacks and this helped me pass the gas I so desperately needed to (sorry to be so gross!)

Thanks again!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#14163 - 07/16/03 05:38 AM
YogaTeacher

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: New Hampshire

In case you were curious, the yoga positions you are describing are: Reclining Hero Pose- (Supta Virasana) which can be VERY hard on the knees (so most folks can't fully come into it) so be mindful when trying it and Cat posture (where you are arching the back like a Halloween cat and drawing the belly button up and in towards the spine (exhale) and then relaxing the belly and lifting the tailbone (inhale).

--------------------
"You have to be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

#14566 - 07/22/03 05:29 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Great! Thanks for giving those names for me. I had no idea.

--------------------
~jules

#39254 - 01/20/04 05:47 PM
nosilla

Reged: 01/20/04

Interesting -- your yoga pose (lying kneeling and slowly stretching backward) is actually a Zen Shiatsu meridian stretch (specifically for the Stomach and Spleen). When performed properly, this is a very powerful pose that helps to strengthen the Stomach/Spleen energies in the body (the Spleen is the main meridian involved in IBS).

Happy stretching!

Wow, how interesting! Thank you. -nt- new
      #39511 - 01/21/04 01:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15619

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review