All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Tried Yoga for the first time today!
      #11915 - 06/17/03 05:39 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I talk to my teacher after class today and told her I have IBS and spent last weekend in pain. She said she can help me with that. After class Thursday she will show me a few poses and do you have any suggestions which one she should show me?
I didn't expect Yoga in my class today. I attend a strength and resistance class, but she is a new teacher for me. Since she is a Yoga teacher she always includes Yoga in her classes.
I am excited to learn new ways to cope with IBS and maybe gain some flexiablity.
Barbara

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tried Yoga for the first time today! new
      #11938 - 06/18/03 10:29 AM
devadasi

Reged: 06/18/03

Yes, yoga is terrific. Ask your teacher to show you uneana
banda (I don't spell Sanskrit well!)- this is a posture where you exhale completely, then pull in the abdominal muscles and hold the air out. It's a wonderful massage for the internal organs. A little difficult to explain, but when you see it, it'll make sense.

All best,
Devadasi

#11939 - 06/18/03 10:38 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Barbara! This is great - I bet you'll soon be a yoga addict like the rest of us. It truly is something that just makes you feel better right away.

I find a lot of the twist poses really helpful - not just for the GI symptoms but also for my lower back, which tends to get very stiff from sitting all day at the computer. I also really like the flying warrior poses - I'm not sure that they're specifically helpful for IBS symptoms, but they make me focus and concentrate, and they sort of stretch the body in all directions at once, which feels wonderful. I like triangle pose for that same reason - it sort of feels like I'm trying to fly, and it's very relaxing. It's funny, but I can't really think of a pose that doesn't help me in some way.

You'll definitely gain flexibility - it's probably impossible not to. My husband has practiced martial arts for over 20 years, and stretching has always been a big part of his workouts, but he thinks he got more flexible after 3 months of yoga than after all those years of kung fu. He can actually do the splits! I'm, uh, still working on that myself.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#11960 - 06/18/03 03:01 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

That is too funny about your husband and the splits!
Thanks for the great info. and I really look forward to trying yoga. The little I did last night was so relaxing! My husband and three boys will appreciate me being more relaxed! Between school and family I am way to uptight and my doctor lectured me last week about how I need to control my stress level better.
I'll let you all know how tomorrow goes.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5781

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review