All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Yoga for fibro?
      #112096 - 10/11/04 03:19 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I know this board is for yoga and IBS but if anyone has any ifno. for yoga that's good for fibro or people with arthritis I'd apprwcite it. My yoga book says i'ts not good for folks with arthritis nd joint stuff. But I want my yoga! LOL

Thanks...and if this was inappropriate to post here, PLEASE say so!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yoga for fibro? new
      #112219 - 10/12/04 12:08 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well I think yoga is great for Fibro. It helps with the stiffness and joint pain and I find it can be invigorating. I guess with arthritus you should be careful to not push the joints?

It should really help.... new
      #112372 - 10/12/04 12:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

what you can do is take some in-person yoga classes and tell the instructor before class that you have fibro and joint issues. They'll give you modifications for poses that might otherwise stretch your joints too much.

Overall, this would be a wonderful form of exercise for keeping you flexible, helping reduce pain, and helping with arthritis, IBS, and fibro. I'm really shocked your book advises against it! You can modify yoga for just about any disability or physical restriction - my grandfather (age 83) is even taking a local yoga class for older folks that's all done from a chair.

Find a good local school, talk to the teachers, see how they modify poses for you in class, and then you can add on doing yoga practice at home from DVDs or just on your own, and you'll know how to adapt poses to suit your own body.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6437

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review