All Boards >> Veggie Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Newbie here!Any other GF vegans?
      #368139 - 09/01/12 09:51 AM
KayKay

Reged: 08/31/12

Hi,I'm Karen and I was just diagnosed with IBS after years of stomach issues.I already know dairy and gluten cause me problems and am hoping to find relief from lingering issues with this diet.I'd love to hear your experiences with this diet,any GF vegan brand recommendations and any helpful resources! Thanks!(Oh,and my issues include urgency,soft stool,painful gas and incomplete evacuation.Oh my,that was TMI!)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Newbie here!Any other GF vegans? new
      #368143 - 09/02/12 08:19 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Hi Karen! Not many post to this board, unfortunately. I think Heather had hoped for a better response. I do stop in on occasion.

That is a tough one. Gluten intolerant, IBS, and vegan. I personally follow a vegetarian diet, working towards vegan. I have been recently introduced to the world of gluten-free by default. My mom was diagnosed with celiac at the age of 80. So, it has not been an easy road for the family.

The diet for my mom has been a BIG challenge. She has not liked any of the gluten-free breads, and I can understand why. She is able to tolerate the Udi's brands. They aren't too bad. She does like wheat free tortillas for wraps and I make her lettuce wraps also.

As for myself, I eat minimal cheese, an occasional egg, and some fish once and a while. I do use condiments like mayonnaise, in small amounts. So, I am not big on animal products. I feel so for moral, ethical, environmental, and health reasons.

Share with me some of what you eat on a daily basis. I would love to hear.

My IBS is non-existent now, since I did three rounds of the hypnosis. So, all I am really dealing with is Mom and her gluten-free, and working towards a vegan diet for myself. I may soon be on a gluten-free, because I am fairly certain gluten is a problem for me. Being my mothers' daughter and having many of the same symptoms, I am a bit worried.

#368152 - 09/04/12 11:11 AM
KayKay

Reged: 08/31/12

I'm eating a really boring diet right now,cereal,not too much fruits or veggies,baked potatoes,rice,tofu,etc. I'm starting to slowly reintroduce foods to see if I can determine any triggers.Normally I would have oats with raisins,dates and berries for breakfast,often a bean soup for lunch and another bean dish(refried beans or hummus on corn tortillas) with brocolli,brussel sprouts,and other veggies on the side.Snacks are usually fruit,rice cakes with nut butters and Larabar or Pure Bars.I'm now seeing my IBS is probably not helped by my high insoluble fiber diet.
Are you saying that you no longer have to watch your diet after doing the hypnotherapy? I just ordered it and can't wait to start! You can find a great vegan resource athttp://www.theppk.com/ .The message boards even include a gluten free board.There's also this site http://recipes.xgfx.org/ with GF vegan recipes.It doesn't appear to have been updated in a while though.

#368258 - 09/27/12 06:24 PM
Gerikat

Hi, sorry, I don't come here often anymore.

Be careful about not including at least some IF in your diet. I made that mistake when I first started coming here. I took as much of the IF out of my diet as I could, and wow did I suffer. Then I experimented to see what worked for me. I don't go to the Eating board anymore, because there are so many different opinions on what to do and how to do it, that I was so confused and much, much sicker. Remember, you are an individual and what works for one does not work for all, no matter what anyone tells you. All you can do is listen to the advice, and experiment and track how it works for you.

The day I decided to take control of my mind and my anxiety was the day I healed. I did the hypnosis 3 times before I found I could eat anything I wanted. Don't get me wrong, that did not give me license to eat cheeseburgers (not!) sodas, and french fries, not because I couldn't, but because I didn't want to.

When you do the hypnosis, give it time. That is the most important thing I can say to you. It took you a long time, most likely, to become ill, so don't expect overnight improvement, although I guess that's possible. Also, if you are doing the hypnosis, it is a good idea to stay away from anything IBS, especially these boards. When you come here all the time, it just reinforces it. The way I experienced improvement and healing was subtle. One day, it just hit me, that I wasn't sick anymore. The episodes got further and further apart.

Thanks for the vegan resources. I am gradually getting to where I want to be as far as my diet goes. And GF is important to me now, for my mom and myself.

Good luck with the hypnosis. After you have done a round stop back in here, and let me know how it went. If you have any questions go to the Hypnosis board, and Marilyn can answer all your questions. She is the expert here on hypnosis.

Be careful of insoluble fiber ....... new
      #368260 - 09/28/12 04:37 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Be careful about the amount of insoluble fiber in you diet. Heather has an excellent discussion about the problems of insoluble fiber on this web page She says "Insoluble fiber, like fat, is a very powerful GI tract stimulant, and for those of us with Irritable Bowel Syndrome this can spell big trouble. "

There is clinical research evidence to support the notion that insoluble fiber found in seeds, nuts, fruits and veggies and the bran of grains can exacerbate IBS symptoms. The article in the references below reviewed the state of our knowledge about the role of fiber in IBS diets concluded "In some cases, insoluble fibres may worsen the clinical outcome."

If you eat peeled fruits and peeled cooked veggies it is virtually impossible to remove all insoluble fiber as the cells walls in these plant foods are composed of insoluble fiber.

Reference
Bijkerk, C. J., Muris, J. W. M., Knottnerus, J. A., Hoes, A. W., & De Wit, N. J. (2004). Systematic review: the role of different types of fibre in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 19(3), 245-251.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Be careful of insoluble fiber ....... new
      #368263 - 09/28/12 11:45 AM
Gerikat

Most vegans/vegetarians eat beans, nuts, seeds, legumes, veggies, and fruits.

You left a portion out of your quote from Heather from this website. Let me finish that for you. And I quote Heather here, "You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber food and as much as safely possible..." from this website.

Just because you include very little in your diet, does not mean the same thing will work for her.

She will need to gauge what she can and cannot handle, but to remove most IF may not benefit her. Only she can say for sure what will work for her.

#368264 - 09/28/12 11:50 AM
Gerikat

Sometimes it is difficult to speak freely on these boards.

If you would like to email me privately to talk about gluten, hypnosis, vegan/vegetarian, feel free to email me at geri12328@yahoo.com, and I would love to share my experience with you. Hope you are doing well!

I think you made a good point - new
      #368266 - 09/28/12 01:02 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and I do stress that people need to eat as much insoluble fiber as possible - but they have to eat it carefully, according to the guidelines. No one should strip all insoluble fiber foods out of their diet.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thank you Heather new
      #368267 - 09/28/12 03:26 PM
Gerikat

For your agreement and support!

Hypnotherapy Support new
      #368268 - 09/29/12 09:59 AM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Hi Gerikat!

Yes, If you have any questions along the way or need support regarding the IBS Audio Program, do feel free to ask me - and Gerikat is right - try to stay away from reading, researching, etc about IBS if at all possible. You can ask me questions on the hypnotherapy forum or here, and you can also do it privately by going to the contact page on the website given in your booklet or calling the support number on that website!

There IS hope - dont give up! Take care.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 26580

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review