All Boards >> Veggie Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
meatless night
      #357604 - 04/08/10 06:25 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Hub and I have a meatless night once a week. The other days I have meatless alone or we have seafood and 1 day a week we both have poultry.
I am always looking for meatless meal ideas! It is a challenge. I do get Vegetarian Times magazine and go to veggie websites. I need more meatless recipes!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: meatless night new
      #357605 - 04/08/10 06:39 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Minnie, have you tried your local library? I just picked up about 5-6 vegan cookbooks. Hopefully, I can get together an adundance of great recipes!

Re: meatless night new
      #357610 - 04/09/10 04:14 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

If you haven't already taken a look at them, I would highly recommend the Moosewood Cookbooks. I live down the street from the Moosewood restaurant and they are sooooo good and played a big part in mainstreaming the idea of vegetarian eating! The original (older) books are pretty heavy in dairy, but there is one called Low Fat Favorites and one called Simple Suppers that I recommend. Your library may have some of them

--------------------
IBS-C

I have great luck with ethnic cookbooks... new
      #357624 - 04/09/10 11:07 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

even if they're not vegetarian they're so likely to have tons of veggie/vegan recipes. Mexican, Indian, Thai, Vietnamese....my favorite cookbooks are usually in these areas but I don't think any of them are actually officially vegetarian.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Oh - forgot my staples... new
      #357626 - 04/09/10 11:51 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I always have root veggies in the fridge, and for a fast and easy dinner I just peel, chop, and roast a bunch of them. When done I toss with pasta or put over polenta, add a can of drained beans (adapted from my non-veggie option of canned salmon or tuna). If you had baked tofu or seitan on hand you could use that as well.

Add some fresh or dried herbs, some kind of vinaigrette (dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, a little olive oil), stir and taste.

Not so much a recipe, but if you're a regular cook it's easy to throw together some kind of combination here that's really good.

I also keep a lot of different salsas, vinegars, misos, soy sauces, etc. in the cupboard so I can choose a flavor (Greek, Japanese, etc.) and throw in the condiments to make a quick sauce.

I do a version of this with soba noodles, edamame, a little shredded cabbage/carrots/green onions/cilantro, and use tamari, rice wine vinegar, and sesame oil.

Another one uses the dijon and balsamic, a little anchovy paste, and chickpeas with the root veggies.

For something more exotic I use sumac, ground caraway and cumin, and shredded fresh mint leaves with the roasted root veggies over couscous.

If you have the staples on hand for the basic formula of roasted veggies/canned beans/pasta or polenta or rice/ plus whatever flavor of sauce you're in the mood for, you can get a fast and easy and healthy dinner together in a flash.

It's also a one-bowl meal, which I love because cleanup is a snap.

Also, the leftovers are awesome! I'll even make open face sandwiches out of them.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks Fen and Heather new
      #357627 - 04/09/10 12:40 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

For some great ideas and book suggestion!

Re: Oh - forgot my staples... new
      #357753 - 04/12/10 06:52 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Roasted root veggies make my mouth water, unfortunately hubby hates them. I just picked over wintered baby turnips yesterday and there are ruties and parsnips out there too. Even my spinach overwintered!
Anyway I always fall back on Asian especially Thai, stirfries and the like. Hub loves spicy Thai and they are especially good in summer with homegrown veggies and Thai basil. But I have to mix it up sometimes.
Cooking Light has a cool recipe for panko coated tofu steaks with a roasted red pepper herb sauce that we both like- again can't make it too often.

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I do have some veggie cookbooks and mags. I think the solution is to go through them again and index the recipes! I never get done with my indexing like I should!

BTW my Thai stirfry is like this- fry the crap out of tofu in a little sesame oil and remove. Add veggies, ginger, garlic and hot peppers, stir fry. When the veggies might start burning add a mixture of Shaoxing wine (the sort of brownish kind- umami flavored), sugar, fish sauce and fresh Thai basil. Its my adaptation of #27 at our favorite Thai restaurant LOL!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15045

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review