All Boards >> Veggie Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
So let's give people some concrete suggestions...
      #356465 - 03/08/10 12:54 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

for how they could make the transition to a veggie diet for IBS. Lots of folks are curious, and are afraid this would be just too difficult.

What are the easiest ways you've found to switch to a veggie or vegan diet?

I'll start off with one of my favorite tricks - I use TVP, textured vegetable protein, to replace any kind of ground chicken or turkey. Works like a charm if you rehydrate it before you add to the recipe, or if you add it dry to the recipe then increase the liquid in the recipe itself.

If you rehydrate with a veggie version of a chicken broth, it tastes fab.

The stuff is cheap, you can buy it in bulk at Whole Foods or in packages at regular grocery stores. It lasts forever in an airtight container. And if you play around with seasonings in the rehydration liquid you can get it to taste like pretty much anything.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

vegetarian soupe base new
      #356468 - 03/08/10 01:10 PM

Unregistered

all natural vegetarian orrington farms chicken flavored soup base and food seasoning...thought I would share that I bought some as it looked ibs safe and thought it would put more flavor in food.haven't tried it,heather have u? while I'm never going vegetarian,I am still interested in this board and learning new things.

Edited by aperson (03/08/10 01:11 PM)

Great idea! And an easy change to make. new
      #356469 - 03/08/10 01:13 PM
HeatherAdministrator

I've used both powdered and liquid/paste versions of "chicken" broth that are actually vegetarian, and they've all been delicious.

Just watch out for the salt content - if your broth has a lot of salt (taste it and see) cut back or eliminate the added salt in the recipe.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: So let's give people some concrete suggestions... new
      #356474 - 03/08/10 01:53 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

How is this packaged and where do you find it in the store? Is it like tofu and takes on the flavor of what you cook it with or does it have it's own taste?

Thanks Heather,

--------------------
Janey

For Janey and Others - TVP new
      #356477 - 03/08/10 02:18 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Hi Janey,

You can purchase Bob's Red Mill TVP (high protein) at almost any grocery store where the baking products are.

Here is a link to their website where you can review the description, etc. :

http://www.bobsredmill.com/tvp-textured-veg._protein.html

You can find many things there that are gluten free and beyond.

I have found that TVP is perfect for making 'meatballs' for spaghetti sauce, chili con carne, and veggie burgers at far less cost than purchasing those premade in the freezer section of your local market which may not appeal to your palate.

The end taste all depends upon what you can add and personally can handle and like the taste(s) of as to additions to flavor the TVP. In and of itself, it is tasteless.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Heather... About Orrington Farm Products new
      #356479 - 03/08/10 02:41 PM
Windchimes

From what I read, Orrington Farm products contain MSG which for many IBSers is a 'no-no' if one wants to avoid GI attacks. Some of their labels also include animal fat.

Reading labels fully is so very important!... and the internet is the best place so as to avoid spending hours at the market reading labels after we leave home with our shopping list.

http://store.mrswagesstore.com/0001.html

--------------------

Re: Heather... About Orrington Farm Products new
      #356481 - 03/08/10 03:11 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Windchimes, where is Orrington farms products mentioned in this thread?

And you are so right about reading labels. I also do alot of research work online before purchasing. What would I do without my internet? Sure saves me time.

Not familiar with this brand. I usually get Frontier powders. -nt- new
      #356484 - 03/08/10 03:15 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Re: Heather... About Orrington Farm Products new
      #356492 - 03/08/10 07:55 PM
Windchimes

It is mentioned at the beginning of these comments... under vegetarian soupe base which stated:

"all natural vegetarian orrington farms chicken flavored soup base and food seasoning"

The link to this product at their website is in my subsequent comment following Heather's. I can't do MSG. It really is a killer for my gut responses, and for some people it triggers migraine headaches. In addition, many of their products contain animal fat, so one needs to be careful and choose wisely if/when buying any of their products.

It's all about reading labels. To save time while grocery shopping, I read labels at home on the internet. Whatever I feel I can handle and want to try then goes on my shopping list.

Most of us don't have hours to spend at the market with a magnifying glass!

--------------------

Re: So let's give people some concrete suggestions... new
      #356495 - 03/08/10 08:18 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

We recently discovered that TVP is great for making tacos!! Just rehydrate the TVP and add taco seasoning. Voila! Also works great in pasta sauces.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 71045

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review