All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Airplane Picnic Ideas?
      #9586 - 05/21/03 09:32 AM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

I'm flying to the East Coast Saturday and I'm planning to bring enough food for the 7-hour day. I would appreciate any ideas for portable, safe food that doesn't require more refrigeration than a little ice pack. I'd also like to avoid any gas triggers, for obvious reasons.

Thanks for your help!

sperry_twiggins

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Airplane Picnic Ideas? new
      #9604 - 05/21/03 11:48 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

There was much discussion on this on previous posts. Hit the search button and try something like snacks, travel, etc.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Oh well, thanks anyway. new
      #9628 - 05/21/03 04:50 PM
sperry_twiggins

I did do a search beforehand and only found snack items. I need a meal. But thanks anyway. I'm sure I'll think of something, even if it's just cereal and a box of rice milk. Seems to be all I can handle lately anyway.

Hmm. Why am I getting this feeling that it's not going to be a pleasant flight? First high terror alert, and now D.

sperry_twiggins

Re: Oh well, thanks anyway. new
      #9629 - 05/21/03 05:05 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

The only thing that comes to mind to me right now is maybe a sandwhich? Like shaved turkey breast on french bread? That should be okay with the ice pack.

I really don't know too much about flights, because I hardly ever fly & it's been years since the last time I have, but does it seem out of line to maybe pack something and ask the flight attendant to store & heat something for you when you're ready to eat because you have to follow a special diet? I'm thinking like leftover pasta or rice dish, or whatever you like as a leftover. Or, do I just sound like a crazy lunatic ranting unheard of ideas?

#9637 - 05/21/03 07:08 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Hm, 7 hours does pose a challenge, does that include the new security delays when you check in? If you have to be there two hours before your flight, you're looking at 9 hours actually. How about a cold pasta salad that you could eat first (so it doesn't have to stay cold all day), some jars of baby food, pretzels, bananas, crackers, seedless jam sandwich, some small packs of applesauce,
and if you can tolerate oatmeal, bring some instant and ask for some boiling water.

#9640 - 05/21/03 07:30 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Request a low fat vegetarian meal from the airline, and you might actually be able to eat at least some of it. I like to bring sushi rolls (made with veggies instead of fish) when I fly. They'll keep at room temp for several hours. Or a sandwich and some baked chips, maybe a thermos of a safe soup, some fig newtons or graham crackers. Cold rice or pasta salad would be good too - just bring in a tupperware container.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Fig Newtons? new
      #9657 - 05/22/03 02:45 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Heather, my dad loves fig newtons, and buys them often, but i always thought fig would casue a laxativ effect so i always steered clear of them. Am i wrong?

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#9681 - 05/22/03 11:51 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - If you've had bad experiences with figs then avoid them, but in general fig newtons are pretty well-tolerated. They're low fat, the figs are so well-pureed the insoluble fiber is really minimized, and there's a decent amount of soluble fiber in the cookie too. Figs don't have a laxative effect like prunes.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#9770 - 05/23/03 09:09 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I haven't had them myself, but you can get Fig Newmans, which do not contain high-fructose corn syrup. They come in low-fat, fat-free, and wheat-and-dairy-free varieties.

Thanks, Everybody! + new
      #9772 - 05/23/03 09:20 AM
sperry_twiggins

Heather, the sushi is a great idea - I wish I had thought of it myself! And thanks for the other great ideas too, everyone.

The problem with the airlines these days is they don't always feed their passengers anymore. On my entire round-trip journey I will only get one "meal." The rest of the time I'll have to fend for myself. But airline meals are such a crap shoot, even when you order a special one, it's probably better to ignore them anyway.

See you all in 2 weeks. Be well.

sperry_twiggins

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 198 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6680

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review