Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Sloppy Joes for those who can't tolerate tomatoes
      #9436 - 05/20/03 01:51 AM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi everyone,

I was all enthusiastic about making Heather's Sloppy Joes recipe today. Then I realised I didn't have any celery. I decided I would make them anyway and throw in some grated carrot instead.

I had all the other ingredients ready to go and the onion and carrot were getting nice and tender in the wok when I realised the recipe contained a can of tomato sauce.

I don't tolerate tomatoes too well so then I was stuck wondering what to do and whether to throw out what I'd already done or not.

Anyway, I decided that since I had come this far I may aswell continue and if it was a disaster then so be it.

I substituted for the tom sce by adding 1/2c BBQ sce, 1/2c water and 1T worcestershire sce.

It turned out great!

So I thought I'd share this for anyone else who struggles with tomato or would just like to try a variation from the regular recipe.

BTW, it was the first time I've tried TVP and I was very pleasantly surprised. I'm already thinking of other ways I can use it now. If you haven't tried it you should!

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sloppy Joes for those who can't tolerate tomatoes new
      #9468 - 05/20/03 09:34 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Kerrie, this is great! I think the best recipes always come about by accident.

What kind of barbecue sauce was it? Most US brands are all tomato sauce based, but it sounds like you have something different.

Also - do you have problems with cooked tomatoes when there is sugar added to them help neutralize the acidity?

Thanks,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#9533 - 05/20/03 06:38 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Heather, it was a Honey BBQ sce. It does have tomato paste as an ingredient down the bottom of the list but I have found I tolerate it OK. I don't know if it's because it's a much smaller amount or whether it is the combination of ingredients -perhaps the sugar as you mentioned?

I seem to be OK with a tiny amount of tom sce (like used sparingly on a pizza base) but larger amounts like pasta sauces seem to upset me. So I'm kind of frightened to try anything with too much tomato. It doesn't upset my reflux so much as giving me horrible cramps.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#13025 - 07/02/03 01:39 PM
Kristina

Reged: 07/02/03

Has anyone used ground turkey in this dish instead of TVP? Sorry if this is a dumb question. My step daughter was just diagnosed with IBS and I'm trying to learn quick for when she's here visiting at the end of July. Any help will be appreciated.
Kristina

#112691 - 10/13/04 11:26 AM
JldDolphin

Reged: 10/12/04
Loc: Long Island, New York

Can anyone tell me where Heathers Sloppy Joe recipe is? I can't seem to find it. I would love to try it.

Thanks!

#112747 - 10/13/04 01:29 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

It was in one of the past newsletters.web page

#112909 - 10/14/04 07:22 AM
JldDolphin

Reged: 10/12/04
Loc: Long Island, New York

Thank You! Still trying to get used to this site. There is so much great information. Wish I had found this 4 years ago when my IBS first started.

Have a Wonderful Day!

So Yummy new
      #127437 - 12/03/04 05:08 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I can tolerate tomatoes just fine, but I don't happen to have any tomato sauce in the house. I made the bbq variety and it is SO yummy. Am I supposed to eat the entire recipe? Oooops ...
I am planning on sharing this with all my vegetarian friends, and all of my dieting friends. TVP is great -- who'd have guessed?
Thanks,
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Heather, question new
      #127442 - 12/03/04 05:22 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Heather,
I love this recipe and would like to post it on another website (for Orthodox Christian college students, because there are many meatless fasts in the church calendar). How should I credit you properly?
Thanks,
Amanda

--------------------
Amanda

bump new
      #127965 - 12/06/04 05:13 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

--------------------
Amanda

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 255 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13782

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review