All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What to use for peanut butter and mayo
      #9321 - 05/18/03 01:28 PM
kcj44

Reged: 03/23/03
Loc: Elk Grove, CA

Hi! I am unable to eat peanut butter and mayo. What can I use in place of these? I would love to make the potatoe salad, but since I can not eat mayo, what can I use instead?

Also peanut butter gives my bad cramps and D. Is there a peanut butter that is safe to eat?

Thanks, Karen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What to use for peanut butter and mayo new
      #9324 - 05/18/03 02:16 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

karen, have you tried fat free mayo? Reg. mayo has done me over but FF mayo (when available) is just fine for me. I dont know about the peanut butter though, I mean its sky high in fat and has insoluble fiber to boot I just steer clear from that poison! Its funny though, cause whenevr Im sick, my mom always offers to make me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. SHe thinks its a comfort food to eat on an irritable stomach. LOL HA!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#9327 - 05/18/03 02:59 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi- Concrete Angel is right on the money. Fat free mayo works beautifully, especially if you spike it with a squirt of fresh lemon juice and, if you're feeling fancy, some fresh or dried herbs. Works great for everything from tuna salad to potato sandwiches to aioli. You can also spike it with vinegar instead of lemon juice - this really helps perk up the flavor.

Peanut butter is something else...nuts are inherently so high in fat that there's really no such thing as a low fat nut butter. You might try one of the soy butters - some people like those and find them easier to tolerate. I don't much care for the flavor myself.

You may be able to tolerate a little peanut butter on a high soluble fiber foundation. I have good luck using about 1 teaspoon on a thick slice of toasted white bread. But always treat nut butters like any other fat...with great caution.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#9340 - 05/18/03 09:44 PM
kcj44

I can't eat any mayo with eggs or dairy. Is this egg and dairy free?

Thanks, Karen

#9341 - 05/18/03 09:47 PM
kcj44

I have tried the peanut butter from the health food store. i can't remember what it was, but it wasn't real peanut butter. All I know is it was not pleasent. I will try the idea on a toasted peice of white bread and see what happens. I'm trying to find some white bread that is whey free. Do you know any? Also why is white bread better then eating wheat( not whole wheat) bread? I always thought wheat was better for you, but I've been reading post that say use white bread.

Thanks, Karen

#9347 - 05/19/03 03:12 AM
ConcreteAngel

im pretty sure ff mayo has eggs in it, but i cant be absolutely positive. I guess, you'll just have to search around for a mayo that fits your tolerances. Best of Luck!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#9376 - 05/19/03 11:15 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - White bread is wheat bread - it's just not WHOLE wheat bread. I use the term white bread just to be clear. If I say wheat bread a lot of people take that to mean whole wheat bread.

I've never seen whey in bread - that's odd. Are you looking at fresh baked varieties from local bakeries instead of pre-packaged types?

Whole wheat bread is more nutritious than white, because it contains the bran and germ. These have minerals in them, but unfortunately they're also high insoluble fiber and that can trigger attacks. This is true for every whole wheat food - it's always going to be more nutritious than something made with refined (white) wheat flour, but it's also always going to be a potential trigger. Whole grains like oatmeal and brown rice and rye are more tolerable for most people than whole wheat.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#9428 - 05/19/03 08:04 PM
Lisa from LA

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Currently: Raleigh, NC Formerly: Lafayette, LA

Has anyone heard or tried Wonder Butter? It is a very, very low fat peanut butter which is very sweet. I am wondering if it would be safe.

#9434 - 05/19/03 11:10 PM
kcj44

Thank you Heather. I have found it in the prepackaged breads. I'll have to look at the bakery breads. I found an oat and honey bread that doesn't have it in it, which I'm eating every morning right now.

Karen

#9439 - 05/20/03 02:34 AM
ConcreteAngel

Lisa,
Does it use peanuts? Because if it does, that no matter way you look it, it still is packed with insoluble fiber.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#9467 - 05/20/03 09:32 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - Actually, since nuts are so finely ground they've become a spread, their insoluble fiber is greatly, greatly minimized. My big concern would be the fat content with nut butters.

I haven't heard of Wonder Butter, by the way. Do you know the ingredients? I'm wondering how they could make peanut butter low fat?

- Heather

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4817

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review