All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
mayo
      #9151 - 05/15/03 05:07 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

Is it ok to eay fat free mayo with canola oil in it?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: mayo new
      #9155 - 05/15/03 05:19 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Umm.. excuse me for being weird here, but if mayo has canola oil in it, it isnt fat free, is it?

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#9156 - 05/15/03 05:28 PM
till

It is fat free. Just like pam is fat free but it has canola oil in it.

#9157 - 05/15/03 05:38 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - If it's fat free it should be okay. Where on the list of ingredients does it list canola oil? It is odd that there would be oil in there but it's still fat free.

Also check for dairy, and watch out for that. But I have no problems at all with fat free Kraft mayo.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#9159 - 05/15/03 05:44 PM
till

It's listed as the third ingredient. Fat free Kraft isn't sold here.

#9160 - 05/15/03 06:00 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Well, as long as it says fat free it should be fine. It still seems weird, though. Does it give a calorie breakdown and the number of calories from fat?

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#9182 - 05/16/03 06:24 AM
jenz

Reged: 05/09/03
Loc: Uk

dont know whether you can get this out in us but i certainly can here in uk and its fantastic - its called mayola by granovita and its just like normal mayo but egg and diary free! ive also just discovered dairy ree soft cheese not sure if i can tolerate this but will give it a go and let you know what i think!

Re: soft cheese - jenz new
      #9197 - 05/16/03 08:05 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

I don't know if I'm telling you what you already know, but Sainsbury's do a good range of 'free from' dairy range, including soft cheese, ice cream and even soya mozzarella cheese slices. I find these taste better than the cheese spreads from the health shop.
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#9416 - 05/19/03 05:13 PM
till

It actually says 0% of calories from fat. I agree that it is odd that oil is in it and it's fat free still. I hope the company isn't telling a lie.

#9425 - 05/19/03 08:01 PM
HeatherAdministrator

The regulations for labeling something fat free don't actually require it to contain zero fat - it just has to be a trace amount (I believe less than 1 gram per serving or some such). It should be safe for IBS.

- Heather

--------------------

#9457 - 05/20/03 08:00 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I have a recipe for mayo for those who have a hard time eating mayo. This recipe comes from one of my books called Detecting Hidden Food Allergies. I have never tried it, because I can not eat nuts, but the recipe sounds good to me.

Cashew no egg mayo

1/2 Cup raw cahews or other nuts.
3/4 Cup water
1-2 Tbls. lemon juice
2 Tbls. oil
1 Tbls. arrowroot or kuzu starch
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste
dash of cayenne, optional

Grind the nuts to a fine powder in a blender. Add the water and blend 1 minute. Add the lemon juice, oil, starch, mustard, salt and cayenne.
Blend until very smooth, stopping twice to scrape the bottom. Pour into a saucepan. Stirring or whisking constantly over medium heat, bring to a boil and simmer 2-3 minutes until it's thick.
Allow to cool 10 minutes, then stir in lemon juice and correct the seasoning to your taste.
Transfer to glass jar and store up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator. If you wish, top your salad with a few cashews or whatever nuts you made the dressing with.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 526 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4948

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review