All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Help with Crunchy Skillet-Browned Garlic New Potatoes
      #8877 - 05/12/03 03:51 PM
SarahB

Reged: 03/18/03
Loc: Cortland, New York

I made the Crunchy Skillet-Browned Garlic New Potatoes from Heather's book last week and something went wrong. I fallowed the instructions in the book but I could get the potatoes to crisp up. They were still good, just not crispy. Any suggestions as to what I might have done wrong?

Sarah

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help with Crunchy Skillet-Browned Garlic New Potatoes new
      #8880 - 05/12/03 04:56 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there - Did you boil off all the water and then keep cooking the potatoes till they browned? If you're using a non-stick skillet and added the bit of olive oil in the recipe the potatoes should crisp up at the end once all the water has boiled off. They won't be crispy like potato chips, but more like soft with a crunchy coating like home fries.

Does this help?

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#8883 - 05/12/03 05:17 PM
SarahB

Reged: 03/18/03
Loc: Cortland, New York

I thought that this is what I did, but the longer I cooked them the more mushy the got. Could I have used to much water?

Sarah

#8885 - 05/12/03 05:27 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Yes - I'd bet it was too much water, or you didn't cook on a high enough heat. What you want is for the water to have completely boiled away just at the point that the potatoes are tender. Then they'll crisp up as you cook them in the dry skillet.

If you try the recipe again and it seems like the potatoes are done but there's still a lot of water, turn the heat up to high to boil it off quickly, then turn it back down a bit once the skillet is dry so the potatoes get a crunchy coat without burning.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#8942 - 05/13/03 09:57 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I have made these several times and had it turn out great once. My problem is the water evaporates before the potatoes are cooked all the way. I hate my stove. It has high and really high. I don't know if it is just too high. I end up adding more water. My daughter always complains they are cruchy inside but my husband loves them. I end up feeling it is way too much effort so I end up roasting them in the oven.

BTW, I made the clam chowder last night and went to give the girls a bath while it was simmering. The pilet blew out sometime during that time and then I added the potatoes before I realized it. It still turned out ok. Got to love stoves. The stupid thing is only six years old. Wasn't my first choice but it came with the house.

#8945 - 05/13/03 10:17 AM
Sharon

Reged: 05/07/03

I've made them twice, and had the same issue. It seems that by not using the non-stick skillet, all of the brown stays on the bottom of the pan. I removed the skillet from the stove top, and placed it under the broiler, watching until they turned a golden brown, but still they never got crispy. If I remember correctly, the receipe said not to use a non-stick pan. May I ask why not use a non-stick pan and would this be the answer to keeping the brown on the potatoes and off of the pan?

Whoops! You've got it backwards... new
      #8953 - 05/13/03 11:24 AM
HeatherAdministrator

A nonstick skillet is essential to this recipe. Otherwise all the crunchy brown parts stick to the pan. I've tried the recipe once in a regular pan and it was disastrous. If you don't have a nonstick frying pan it's probably not worth even trying the recipe.

I think we have our answer to what went wrong.

- Heather

--------------------

#8954 - 05/13/03 11:25 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - For the potatoes, when the water is about half way gone if the potatoes are still raw inside, just add more cold water. That way there will be more boiling time before you get to the frying part. Should help...

- Heather

--------------------

Re: Whoops! You've got it backwards... new
      #8988 - 05/13/03 01:16 PM
Sharon

Reged: 05/07/03

Thanks, Heather. I feel kind of silly, but that clears that up.

#9008 - 05/13/03 07:23 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Thank you.

#9017 - 05/14/03 03:05 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

I love potatoes! I def. want to try this one

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

My potatoes were mushy, too. Second time better, but crunchy stuck to non-stickpan-nt- new
      #9287 - 05/17/03 05:54 PM
Sue48

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: The Sunflower State: Kansas

--------------------
Sue

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 77 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4563

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review