Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How do you cook beets, rutabagas, etc.
      #8800 - 05/11/03 12:54 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Heather,

Thanks for the suggestion on the Eating for IBS forum to make soups from root veggies! I started making a plain potato soup and that is a BIG treat! I want to make other soups too! How do you cook beets, rutabagas, and other root veggies and make em' into a soup (nothing fancy for now--just plain with salt). Thanks in advance for the help!!!!!!!

((((hugs)))

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How do you cook beets, rutabagas, etc. new
      #8801 - 05/11/03 01:08 PM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Hi Ruchie,
Most root veggies are really good roasted in the oven with just a spray of oil, then pureed with stock to make soup. It seems to bring out the sweetness of their flavors well. Otherwise simmer them with stock or water, then season to taste. If I make soup I throw in whatever is around - leeks are good to use instead of onions for flavor as they are milder (do you have leeks in the US??)
I've just thought as well, beets can be roasted in their skins then peeled.
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#8802 - 05/11/03 01:20 PM
Snow for Sarala

Sarah,

THANKS!!!!!!!! Um, how do you roast a beet? Are leeks gassy veggies? Yes, we do have leeks! I hear they're yummy in potato soup! How many beets/leeks/rutabagas would I want for soup? (I will make each soup seperately--beet soup one night, rutabagas another nigh, etc).

Thanks again!!!

(((hugs)))

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#8803 - 05/11/03 02:00 PM
britsarah

If you buy the beets in their natural state they should have a thick brown skin on them. If you just wash them then roast them for about 45 minutes I think, on a tray, they will kind of steam in their own skins. The skin should then peel off quite easily and the beet inside will be fairly soft. If you make beet soup I would use about 2 beets to 2 potatoes, because they are quite strong.
Leeks can be gassy as they are part of the 'allium' family that is gas-forming, but if you use 1 large or 2 small leeks to about 2/3 potatoes, again it will water down the effect of them. I tolerate that much, but you would have to experiment. At least with soup, if you make a large pan full, then the first bowl upsets you, you could always try to adjust it by adding more potato, or thin it out with more stock.
One of my favourite light soups, good for summer, is a light chicken broth with rice noodles - I'll post it separate so ther people see it as well (although they might have read this!)
I hope the gluten free diet is going well - in the UK if you have Celiac, the doctor will prescribe you gluten free bread on prescription, so it's a lot cheaper. There's also the Stamp Collection range of foods, created by the actor Terence Stamp as he is allergic to wheat and dairy. They do some great gluten free products, including ready mixed flours for breadmaking.
Phew, that's a long post!!!
Take care ((hugs))

sarah

--------------------
Sarah

#8809 - 05/11/03 04:19 PM
Snow for Sarala

Sarah,

Thank you SO MUCH! (((((hugs)))) The gf diet is going ok...I'm trying to slowly add fruits and veggies back in...so I look forward to trying beet soup soon! I'll let you know how it goes...

Thanks so much for asking about the diet...you're so sweet!

I've never heard of the actor you mentioned...what does he do?

Hope YOU are doing well, happy Mother's Day/Sunday!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#8813 - 05/11/03 04:52 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

What do beets taste like? sweet, salty, bitter,sour?

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#8823 - 05/11/03 10:11 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

You can also roast an assortment of root veggies and then puree them with some veggie or good chicken stock for a soup. The mixture is really nice. They're also delicious roasted and served over brown rice.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: How do you cook beets, rutabagas, etc.- Ruchie new
      #8828 - 05/11/03 11:26 PM
britsarah

Thanks Ruchie!
Although as another example of how different yet how alike the US and UK are, we have Mother's Day but it was in March! I guess I should have had it twice, I'll have to tell my kids! LOL
Terence Stamp has only been in a few films I've ever heard of but I think he's been famous for about 30 years. The best thing I've seen him in is 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert'an Aussie film about drag artists, but I don't think that is his usual thing! Anyhow, he's also written a great cookbook which most of the recipes are either dairy/wheat free, so they fit in well with the ibs diet. It's called 'The Stamp Collection Cookbook' by Terence Stamp and Elizabeth Buxton, if you can find it in the States.

Take care ((BIG HUGS BACK))
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

#8901 - 05/12/03 11:23 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

I love beets cold best, like pickled beets in salds anf they are really good.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 317 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3837

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review