All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
TVP?
      #88 - 01/29/03 12:51 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I have some TVP in my cupboard and I am not sure how to use it. I know there is a recipe in "Eating for IBS" but I don't like sweet potatoes. I had a bad expereince with them and I can not even stand the smell of them. Anyways, does anyone have any recipes or suggestions on how to use them?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: TVP? new
      #107 - 01/29/03 03:50 PM
pamk

Reged: 01/29/03

I could really use some suggestions for using up the TVP in my cupboard. Heather, you know how I feel about "fish sauce" so I need a new recipe for using the TVP besides the summer salad in your cookbook.

#135 - 01/30/03 07:38 AM
mauwjauw

You were asking for recipes with TVP. You can use TVP in place of any ground meat recipe. For example, Shepherd's Pie. First you should hydrate the TVP, double the liquid to the TVP. You will be able to see that the TVP will double in size as it absorbs the liquid. You can us vegetable broth or if you eat meat, chicken broth, then add it to your pan with the saute onions, add your flour or the thickener of you choice and voila, you've go the base of your shepherd's pie. TVP is a very versatile protein to use and will take on the flavour of whatever it is cook with. I hope that I have been clear. Please let me know if I have not.

#150 - 01/30/03 09:39 AM
ChrisKim

Reged: 01/30/03

I use TVP every day as a simple, versatile inexpensive source of protein. Because it has no particular taste, it doesn't need to be used only in savory dishes. It is a great addition to breakfast cereal or granola that will make a significantly more satisfying breakfast option than carbohydrates alone can provide. I usually mix in about three tablespoons of TVP in a bowl of cereal or granola.

#165 - 01/30/03 12:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Pam - Couldn't convert you fish sauce, eh? All right! You really can use TVP for anything that calls for ground meat or ground turkey. You can just rehydrate it in a flavored sauce you like (for tacos, say) or throw it into a pasta sauce in place of hamburger. I've had great luck using it in a traditional sloppy joe recipe instead of beef - I always hated sloppy joes until I tried the TVP version!

You really don't even need a recipe for the stuff. Just rehydrate it on a one-to-one ratio with water or flavored liquid, then use it as you would ground meat. It's basically fool-proof stuff. If it's too chewy, add a bit more liquid, and if there's too much liquid left over add a bit more TVP. It's fun stuff to play around with - and it is dirt cheap! Also, if you keep it in an airtight container it will last forever.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#192 - 01/30/03 05:12 PM
pamk

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I'll give it a try!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 300 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10955

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review