All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Subst. for sweetened condensed milk
      #8180 - 05/03/03 05:41 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I have a few recipes that call for sweetened condensed milk and what can I use in place of it to make it IBS safe?
I also love Cheese Cake, but like many of you I can not eat it without pain. My family's favorite recipe calls for cream cheese and sour cream. What are the subst. for for cream cheese and sour cream?
Thanks,
Barbara

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Subst. for sweetened condensed milk new
      #8194 - 05/03/03 11:39 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi- the sweetened condensed milk usually stumps me. TessLouise, do you have any ideas for this?

For cheesecake, there's a recipe in Eating for IBS that gets raves. It uses tofu (no kidding!). In general, you can use drained silken tofu and a little soy/rice cream cheese to make cheesecakes, and the results will be wonderful. You can also get soy/rice sour cream. You'll probably have to check a health food market but your local grocery store just might have them.

Oh - and if you drain plain or vanilla soy yogurt (I like Silk) in a paper-towel or cheesecloth lined strainer overnight or even for a day or two, it will thicken up and make a great sub for sour cream or cream cheese. Here's a brownie recipe that uses that idea web page

You could use the cream cheese filling here for many other recipes.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Subst. for sweetened condensed milk new
      #8196 - 05/03/03 12:02 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Quote:

Hi- the sweetened condensed milk usually stumps me. TessLouise, do you have any ideas for this?

I've made my own using soy milk powder in place of nonfat dry milk powder in the following recipe. (It does contain 3 tablespoons of butter, but then, sweetened condensed milk itself IS high in fat, so I don't know if you'd want to cut down on the fat too drastically....)

web page

Re: Subts. Thankyou Heather and TessLouise! NT new
      #8199 - 05/03/03 02:25 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 228 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1793

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review