All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Butter Substitute
      #7959 - 04/30/03 12:42 PM
TexasLeanne

Reged: 04/26/03
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas

I have a really good recipe for a chicken/rice casserole but it calls for 5 Tbsp of butter. You melt the butter and whisk in flour. Could you substitute canola oil? Would the consistency be similar?

Thanks

--------------------
Leanne

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Butter Substitute new
      #7963 - 04/30/03 12:58 PM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

Would I Can't Believe It's Not Butter work?

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

#7965 - 04/30/03 01:05 PM
TexasLeanne

Reged: 04/26/03
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas

Well, the last time I made it, I used a nondairy butter, but Heather says not to use that kind of stuff, so I'm confused!

--------------------
Leanne

#7968 - 04/30/03 01:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Yes, you could substitute canola oil, or a non-hydrogenated margarine spread (Spectrum Spread, Soy Garden, etc.). You could also probably reduce the quantity to 3-4 T. I'm guessing the amount of flour added is equal to the butter, so reduce that accordingly as well. What you're making is a "roux" - it will thicken your sauce. Any fat and flour combo will work.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#7971 - 04/30/03 01:12 PM
HeatherAdministrator

All fats are GI stimulants, so even canola oil you want to be careful with. You need heart-healthy fats in your diet, but in small quantities so your digestion stays stable. Butter and lard are the worst fats for IBS - they're not only fats but also dairy or meat, so a double whammy.

Margarines are still fats, but better than butter. The problem is they're hydrogenated oils, which are terrible for your heart. So you either want to use non-hydrogenated margarines (which are typically found at health food stores, and made from canola or soybean oil - things like Spectrum or Soy Garden) or you want to stick to liquid oils like canola, olive, avocado.

It's kind of combination of issues here. Keeping the fat quantity (from ANY fat) low for your IBS, but making sure that the fats you do eat are heart-healthy.

BTW, I've had great luck with Spectrum in baking, but you can't fry with it. It really does add a buttery flavor for biscuits and such though. You can do a board search for Soy Garden - there have been a lot of posts.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Butter Substitute-Smart Balance? new
      #7973 - 04/30/03 01:22 PM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

What about Smart Balance? You can bake and fry with it and it has no trans fats? Anyone else try this one?

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Post the recipe please! new
      #7978 - 04/30/03 03:09 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Can you post the entire recipe here? We can all work on it and maybe come up with something really great that's 100% IBS safe. We all are always looking for good casseroles. Thanks!!

Re: Margarine vs Liquid? new
      #8046 - 05/01/03 12:42 PM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

I'm new at this whole cooking thing and had a question about substitutions... If I am trying to adapt a recipe that calls for butter, is it better to sub canola oil or non-hydrogenated margarine? Will either work?

I don't have any specific recipe in mind, but am looking forward to trying to adapt my favorites by reducing the amount of fat and swapping out ingredients.

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#8052 - 05/01/03 12:52 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

tHE MARGARINE i USE IS 'I CAN'T BELEIVE IT'S NOT BUTTER' IT HAS CANOLAS AND SOY OIL SO I figure it is fairly safe used in moderation.

Re: Margarine vs Liquid? new
      #8065 - 05/01/03 02:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

This depends on the type of recipe. For just about everything but baking you should be able to use canola or olive oil instead of butter (and you'll likely be able to reduce the amount of fat you use as well). For baking there are instances where a solid fat is critical - things like biscuits, pastry crusts, scones. Anything where you need a light and flaky texture, basically. Drop cookies depend on solid shortening most of the time, too. Baking is where the Spectrum or Soy Garden spreads can be invaluable - they work really well for making pastry crusts and biscuits.

For quick bread (banana, zucchini, etc.) and many cake recipes, you can use canola oil without any problems at all.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Heather

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 253 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8092

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review