All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Rice soaking/cooking secrets?
      #7896 - 04/29/03 08:02 PM
LilyLewis

Reged: 04/25/03
Loc: D.C. area

So I was cooking a recipe for rice gruel stuff and it told me to soak the rice over night and then cook it in tons of water until thick. This morning I decided I wanted to try to have it for tonight so I soaked the rice all day while I was at work. I then started to cook it and it is taking for ever to really reduce to a good thickness.

?When a recipe calls for soaking "overnight" does that mean 8 hours? 12 hours?

Any other hints on how to get good rice porriage (sp?)?

Thanks,
Lily

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Rice soaking/cooking secrets? new
      #7902 - 04/29/03 09:15 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I think the only trick here is a really long time to soak and to cook. It just takes time for the rice to absorb enough water to disintegrate, and that's when you'll end up with porridge. The good news is once you've got a big pot of it, it should keep for almost a week and you can just keep reheating it. Oh - and use a short grain rice like sushi, calrose, sticky rice. I find that it dissolves into a much creamier consistency than long grain varieties.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#7926 - 04/30/03 07:02 AM
LilyLewis

Reged: 04/25/03
Loc: D.C. area

I guess I'll just keep cooking it. I was using jasmine rice I do believe. It smells wonderful but is very runny. And I am beginning to think this is what art conservators use to bind damaged paper and to adher backings to fabrics. Am curious what it will do to my digestive system!!

#7936 - 04/30/03 11:37 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Jasmine rice might not thicken up the way short grain rice would, but it will still be thick and delicious. I've used it to make Chinese rice porridge soup and it was really tasty.

And...you're right about the art conservators. I was an art museum registrar for a bit and works on paper are matted with wheat or rice starch paste. No kidding. It's non-chemical so it won't off-gas or otherwise harm the art, and it's easily removable. Only downside is bugs love it.

Perhaps I shouldn't have told you this until after you tried the porridge...

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 153 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1495

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review