All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Kree! ~Vermont Maple Pie
      #78216 - 06/11/04 12:23 PM

Unregistered

Kree, I like to create recipes from recipes. I was thinking about adding Granny Smith apples to this Vermont Pie. Either diced really fine or even shredded. I love roasted apples with maple syrup poured over them and apple pie, that's what made me think of this.

Does this even sound good? And if so, would I reduce the sugar or any wt ingredients becuase of the juice in the apples.

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Kree! ~Vermont Maple Pie new
      #78235 - 06/11/04 12:56 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Hmm... Aunie, I have to admit you're asking the wrong person. I've only made a couple of pies in my life so I'm not too familiar with how they work. I think it depends on what type of apple you use whether or not you'd reduce the sugar, though. If you use a tart apple like I Granny Smith I don't know if I would, but if you use a sweeter one like Mac I'd probably reduce it slightly. As for the juices, maybe if you roll the apples in flour first they won't get as juicy? That's the best I can do. Maybe someone else can help more. I think your idea sounds really yummy!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#79052 - 06/14/04 04:48 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I'm not sure this would work. The liquid released by the apples as they cook might prevent the pie from thickening up. I'd guess you could add nuts, but probably not fruit. If you try it and it works, let us know!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Heather~Vermont Maple Pie new
      #79056 - 06/14/04 04:57 PM

Unregistered

Great idea, thank you Heather! I'll post the results soon.

#79268 - 06/15/04 08:10 AM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

she could pre-cook the apples, allowing for the liquid to cook off, before adding them to the mix.

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Well duh, you'd think I would have thought of that! Geez... new
      #79528 - 06/15/04 02:44 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

that's a good idea. Made me think you could also use chopped dried apple pieces - that might be yummy!

Shanna, do you have any fab recipes from Spain for us?

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 125 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3056

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review