All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
brown sugar banana bread failure
      #68955 - 05/10/04 07:03 AM
Sherbelle

Reged: 04/20/04
Loc: Arkansas

I made the banana bread in Heather's book last night. It did not turn out good. It was very dry and heavy. Wondering what I did wrong. I did notice that the recipe
called for a lot more soda than baking powder and wondered if these got reversed...most recipes using these always have more baking powder than soda...any suggestions???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: brown sugar banana bread failure new
      #68992 - 05/10/04 09:25 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

Were your banana's extremely ripe? I couldn't wait for them to turn black although they were close. I made sure to practically puree the banana's.

#69013 - 05/10/04 10:37 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

That's all I can think of too. It's always turned out great for me... but Heather says the bananas really do need to be black!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Recipe is correct.... new
      #69038 - 05/10/04 11:54 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

but is your baking soda and powder fresh? Not stored in the fridge, or past expiration date? Were the bananas super black? When you mixed the dry and wet ingredients together, did you do this just until they were blended, or did you keep mixing and stirring it (that will make things tough and heavy).

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Help with other breads too new
      #69485 - 05/11/04 12:10 PM
Sparky

Reged: 01/06/04
Loc: MI

I've had trouble with all my bread recently . I'm even wondering now if my oven temp is off, but so far haven't gotten to the store to buy a thermometer. Anyway, if I wait until the toothpick is clean in the center of the loaf, the rest of the loaf is overdone and dry. If I take it out sooner, the middle is too doughy and soggy. I tried lowering the baking temp slightly but that didn't help either. HELP! I love these breads!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~
STEF
~~~~~~~~~~

#69496 - 05/11/04 12:31 PM
Kree

One question... are you sure you're using a 9x5-inch loaf pan? Because I was having a similar problem when I first started baking and realized it was because my mom's pan was actually 8x4-inches! Since getting the 9x5 I haven't had any problems.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#69507 - 05/11/04 12:41 PM
Sparky

Reged: 01/06/04
Loc: MI

Pretty sure . . . but I'll check when I get home.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~
STEF
~~~~~~~~~~

#69563 - 05/11/04 02:16 PM
Kree

It probably is... but I thought it was worth a try!

--------------------

It definitely is! new
      #71406 - 05/18/04 10:52 AM
tarabara04

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Bay Area, California, USA

Not only do I love this, but my parents and my sister love it!!! I made it one time when I was really tired and I was expecting to mess up on something but they still loved it. I made it a second time and it was yummy again!(well..we didn't have vanilla..but my mom told me just to use a little carob and cinnamon..tastes yummy!). And, my dad, who usually likes desserts that aren't healthy totally loves this bread. He doesn't know the difference!!!!! Sssh! Thanks Heather!!!!!!! Perhaps you didn't put in enough egg whites or egg substitution stuff b/c for baking you are supposed to add a little more egg beaters than just for other stuff. But I don't know if that would effect how heavy it turned out. Well..it's REALLY yummy, so you should try it again!

--------------------
If you live life to love, you'll love to live life.

#72295 - 05/21/04 05:43 PM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

I think they key to this bread is to use super ripe banana's as Heathers book says... I was a little impatient today and used soft but not very brown ones and having just pulled the bread out of the oven, it doesn't look right.

The first time I made it my banana's were very brown...not quite black and the bread was wonderful.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3016

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review