Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather - Tapioca Problem
      #6770 - 04/22/03 01:15 PM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Hi Heather,

When I tried making the Indian Tapioca Pudding with Cardamom, Dates, etc. (from Eating for IBS for those who haven't seen it before), I had a problem with the tapioca becoming a huge, unmanageable, gelatinous glob when I added it to the boiling water. Am I using the wrong kind of tapioca? Is there some trick to it?

sperry_twiggins

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather - Tapioca Problem new
      #6791 - 04/22/03 02:30 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Oh no! I haven't had this happen before. Did you use regular uncooked tapioca (not instant or quick-cooking)? If you pour it into the boiling water in a stream and then stir it shouldn't stick together at all. The stuff kind of takes a while to cook, actually. There shouldn't be a trick to it at all.

Anyone with tapioca experience that can help out here?

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Heather - Tapioca Problem Ah HA! new
      #6792 - 04/22/03 02:54 PM
sperry_twiggins

I used quick cooking. Is the stuff in the bulk bins at the health food stores not quick-cooking, then? Otherwise, I don't think I've seen non-quick-cooking tapioca.

By the way, this is my husband's second favorite recipe of yours after the Orange Blossom bread.

#6798 - 04/22/03 04:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - Are you in the US? I've only ever used one type of tapioca for this recipe, and it was the regular kind in the red box (and I can't remember the brand!) But it's not marked "instant" or anything. I'm not sure about the bulk kind of tapioca - that should be labeled, though.

There is tapioca that you have to soak overnight before using. That's not the kind for this pudding recipe - and it's usually the big pearl type the size of marbles.

I'm not sure we've gotten to the bottom of this...hmph!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Heather - Tapioca Problem new
      #6801 - 04/22/03 04:21 PM
pamk

Reged: 01/29/03

When I was little, my grandmother would make a double batch of tapioca pudding and fold whipped cream (those were the days....)into it. One day she accidentally reached for the salt jar instead of the sugar and boy did we have a surprise THAT evening!

#6811 - 04/22/03 05:24 PM
sperry_twiggins

It's the Kraft brand I'm using (red box). It says at the top that it's quick-cooking. I have seen the big pearl-sized tapioca, but didn't try it.

Yes, I'm in the U.S. In fact, I live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest too. In fact x2, I'm going to be in Tacoma Sunday and was wondering if you could recommend a good (safe) restaurant around there. My friends always want to eat in burger joints, and even if I didn't have IBS I wouldn't want to eat that stuff. It would be so helpful if I could say "Let's try Restaurant X! It was recommended by a friend!"

#6821 - 04/22/03 05:53 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Well, darn, that's the exact tapioca I used. I'm stumped. I haven't made that pudding in a while so I'm going to try it again and play around.

For Tacoma....I used to live there but over ten years ago, and have been back only occasionally so (hopefully) these restaurants are still there, and still as good as they were.

There's a great Japanese restaurant called Fujiya that's right downtown, just a few blocks from the new glass museum. Fab sushi and (at lunch) udon soup. Near Tacoma Mall (almost across the street from it, on the I-5 side) is East and West, a really good Vietnamese restaurant in a little house. Really good sweet and sour shrimp and veggies - and not deep fried!

There's the standby Old Spaghetti Factory, also downtown near the museums. If you can eat cooked tomatoes, their mushroom red sauce with spaghetti is pretty good. And their fresh baked sourdough bread is wonderful - they bring as much as you can eat! Plus they're cheap.

If you're in the Proctor district near UPS, there's a good southeast Asian place called May's. For fast but good food from scratch, you can get chicken gyros at It's Greek to Me, a drive through place on 6th avenue between UPS and downtown. It's a pretty well-known landmark.

If you're feeling adventurous...and you can tolerate VERY HOT, spicy foods...the best Korean restaurants in all of Washington are in Tacoma, along South Tacoma Way. It's like a whole Korean neighborhood for miles, with shops and restaurants galore. If you're into food, stop into one of the big grocery stores - it's a real thrill. And the markets will probably have Korean sushi rolls, Kim Bop, ready to go and packaged by the cash register. They're wonderul. For the restaurants, I can't say the service will be good, but the food almost certainly will. Load up on white rice and order Bi Bim Bap without meat or egg, or Jap Chae without meat. They'll also have grilled fish. Korean food is my treat whenever I get to Tacoma, but I always try different places so I don't have a favorite.

Hope this helps! BTW, post your city/state in your profile!

- Heather

--------------------

Re: Wow! Thanks, Heather! new
      #6845 - 04/22/03 07:32 PM
sperry_twiggins

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 559 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3682

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review