All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Controling Severe IBS
      #6419 - 04/18/03 05:14 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

What if my severe IBS never gets under control? What do I do? Everyday is a nightmare. How can I live like this?
What do I do for my calcium intake? Calcium supplements make me constipated. I can't have soy milk. It gives me tons of gas.
Thanks
God Bless

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Controling Severe IBS new
      #6436 - 04/18/03 09:27 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Angel,
I read on an earlier thread that you can balance the calcium with magnesium to avoid the constipating effect. You might want to try entering a search for that thread.

Also, try looking into the IBS audio program. Read up on it on the hypnotherapy board. Shawneric is great at answering questions you may have about it.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#6810 - 04/22/03 05:23 PM
till

Thanks. I check it out.

#6846 - 04/22/03 07:37 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Angel - the ratio is: to take half as much magnesium citrate as calcium, so:

500 mg of calcium
250 mg of magnesium citrate

Any questions, please post, but Tess Louise (Amelia) is the one who answered my question on this. Hope youu feel better soon.

sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#6888 - 04/23/03 08:22 AM
joylyn44

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Ohio

Angel,

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I've been there before. You will feel better. I usually just eat sourdough toast with a little low sugar jelly or honey and drink water for 2-3 days and that usually helps me a lot. Since I started on Wellbutrin several months ago, I haven't had a severe attack, but I almost did when I started taking Coral Calcium. I took it for a little over a week and became very sick. It took me about a week and a half to get over it. I also take Bentyl as needed and the last attack from the Coral Calcium, I took 20 mg. 4 x's a day and that really helped. Hope this will be of some help to you.

Good Luck and hope you feel better soon~
Joy

#7870 - 04/29/03 05:21 PM
till

Thank you. Can you buy magnesium pills alone or only magnesium pills with calcium?

#7871 - 04/29/03 05:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

You should be able to buy just magnesium.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#7876 - 04/29/03 05:32 PM
till

Okay. Thanks.
God Bless

#8177 - 05/03/03 03:57 AM
danie

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: NYC

I take TWINLAB CALCIUM CITRATE CAPS 2 CAPSULES=300 MG CALCIUM CITRATE AND 150 MG MAGNESIUM
I have found this brand to be the most easily digested and absolutely non constipating. Very quickly absorbed. Try to take one (they are very tiny) TRI-BORON supplement also 3mg, it aids calcium absorption into the body.

#16493 - 08/06/03 01:52 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Angel, sorry to hear the IBS is getting you down at the moment.

What exactly do you do for it and what are your symptoms?

Also what tests did you have done?

I missed your symptoms.

So you know almost everyone can get IBS under control for the most part. Not cure it, but at least effectively manage the symptoms.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#16839 - 08/09/03 05:25 PM
till

I have severe bloating, water retention, gas pains, gas cramps, cramps, constipation, headache, backache, leg pain, nausea.
I am taking Dicetel, I took gas-x ( not for long since it gave be c since there's calcium in it), phazyme ( this helped but not a lot sadly), I eat Altoids, I have lemon juice in hot tea for water retention, hot strong ginger, peppermint, fennel, oregano tea, I drink lots of water, I take Citrucel daily, I put a hot water bottle on my tummy daily too.
I had all the tests your suppose to have of course. I ordered IBS Hypnotherapy cassettes . They should be coming near the end of the month. I also stay away from gassy foods. I have Heather's books so I know what foods to have and how to have them
Thanks.
God Bless

#16840 - 08/09/03 05:28 PM
till

That's not sold here but thanks anyway. I don't need calcium tablets anymore since I drink soy beverage everyday. It's made with soy protein only so it doesn't give me gas which is wonderful since I have severe gas.

#16842 - 08/09/03 05:30 PM
till

I can't find seedless jelly here sadly. I'm taking Dicetel. Sorry you got so sick.
Thanks
Take Care

#16845 - 08/09/03 05:45 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Angel have you tried rice milk instead of soy? I switched to rice milk, because soy just caused too much bloating and gas for me.

#16862 - 08/09/03 09:47 PM

Unregistered

Hi

I usually believe in using herbs and having a proper diet but sometimes we need something more.

I had felt the same way you have in the past and I spoke to my family doctor and besides making sure you follow your IBS diet sometimes it help if they put you on an anti-depressant. Heather talks in her book IBS the first year which anti-depressants are good for which type of IBS whether you are IBS-c or IBS-d.
I know most of my IBS attacks are more often panic attacks than food, though, food is very important to monitor.

Sometimes I would get so worked up and worried that it really helped that my doctor gave me something to calm down for a while until I could on my own start to control things more.

Sometimes meditating and listening to classical music with ocean sounds as you are sleeping help.

Good luck!

#16870 - 08/10/03 07:57 AM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

Angel, sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. I once again would suggest biofeedback. It helps you learn how to calm your system. I got involved in biofeedback after a bad car accident. It helped me deal with panic attacks and my IBS. I now have many ways to calm my body and mind which in turn helps my IBS a ton! It has helped me a lot in dealing with and controlling my IBS. Best of luck.
leah

#16875 - 08/10/03 11:45 AM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

My doctor put me on an anti-anxiety/anti-depressant drug called Effexor-XR which is a serotonin re-uptake inhibitor, a minimal dose, when my IBS was really, really bad. Do you remember from Heather's book that 90 to 95% of our serotonin is in our gut, not in our brain? Gradually it made a huge difference and I got to where I was almost symptom free, though I still had a bit of a fearful thought as I would go out the door to go anywhere. But, I had no symptoms of IBS.

Unfortunately, Effexor-XR has only been tested for short-term use, and I had been on it about two and a half years when it started to MAKE me crazy. The manufacturer recommends it only be used for 6 months. I had short-term memory loss, had inappropriate emotional reactions, and had all the symptoms of what is called mania. I had switched doctors because we had moved, and I don't know if maybe doctor #2 lost track of how long I had been on the Effexor-XR. From January through April we tapered me off the medication, and now I find that my IBS symptoms are all back. Like you, I can have an attack when I think I have done everything right diet wise, and I know it is because my emotions play into it.

I'm unsure about what I am going to do about the possibility of trying a different type of anti-anxiety/anti-depressant drug. It was really frightening to feel myself losing my mind. I would caution you if you go this route to keep in mind that most of the new serotonin re-uptake inhibitors have only been tested for short-term use of about 6 months, but it seems to take about a year for it to make a real difference in the IBS. Higher doses might have worked quicker, but I'm not sure. Also, medications react differently for everyone. What happened to me might not happen to you and it was a wonderful relief to feel my IBS symptoms and fear ease.

Does anybody else out there know anything about this area?

#16895 - 08/10/03 05:14 PM
till

I forgot to mention that I do yoga too. I don't know if I would still be bloated if I didn't have gas or water retention. I also know there's no cure but ConcreteAngel got cured just like that. I'm not sure it you ever chatted with her but she used to come on the messageboards now she doesn't have to since she's cured. Just like that!
A miracle for sure.

#16896 - 08/10/03 05:18 PM
till

Hi
I hope this isn't a stupid question but what is biofeedback? I never heard of it. Hopefully you don't think I've been living under a rock! lol

#16897 - 08/10/03 05:20 PM
till

I drink So Good Soy Beverage. It's fat free and only made with soy protien. Soy protein causes no gas at all. yay!
I never had rice milk before. I don't think I'd like it.

#16898 - 08/10/03 05:23 PM
till

Thanks but I'm drinking soy beverage made with soy protein. I can only drink that since soy protein causes no gas. I get my calcium from that. I hope I feel better soon too. I nearly blacked out today.
Thanks. I hope you get better too.

#16899 - 08/10/03 05:29 PM
till

Hi
I don't really plan on taking anti-depressants since they have really scary side effects and I'm already so sick I can't get sicker or I'd pass out for sure. I have a very sensitive body. I ordered IBS Hypnotheraphy tapes which are totally safe so I'm trying that. I listen to Christian music which helps. I don't get much sleep though since I have severe water retention from bloating and c. I go to the bathroom constantly. It drives me crazy.
Thanks
God Bless

#17007 - 08/11/03 05:18 PM
till

I also have fatique since I don't get enough sleep since I have severe water retention I always going to the bathroom.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 319 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9928

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review