All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Dessert: Creme Brulee: Can It Be IBS Adapted?
      #60 - 01/27/03 03:37 PM
Lynn

Reged: 01/27/03
Loc: Virginia

I am a very timid cook. I don't have a lot of experience and add the factor of trying to adapt things to my particular eating requirements is even worse.

I have been interested in this dessert but it calls very heavy cream. Is there anything that you can substitute for heavy cream?

~ Lynn

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dessert: Creme Brulee: Can It Be IBS Adapted? new
      #61 - 01/27/03 03:54 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I'm actually working on some recipes for this type of dessert right now. In making custards in the past, I've had terrific results using a creamy soy milk (VitaSoy is good) either vanilla or plain, instead of heavy cream or whole milk. Soy milk can't be whipped like whipping cream can, but it works beautifully as a liquid substitute.

The creme brulee probably also calls for whole eggs or egg yolks. Replace these with egg whites instead (one white for one yolk, or two whites for each whole egg). You might also want to add a tablespoon or two of canola oil to give a little fat and rich texture to the recipe (since you're eliminating the dairy and egg yolk fat).

If you want to post the recipe itself, I'll try to come up with specific alternatives. I'll also post any recipes I adapt along these lines.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#62 - 01/27/03 04:10 PM
Lynn

Reged: 01/27/03
Loc: Virginia

Thanks Heather! That was my first post, and I haven't posted yet but your books have helped me a great deal. Like I mentioned I am a timid cook but I want to become more accomplished.

Re: Dessert: Creme Brulee: Can It Be IBS Adapted? TRY THIS! new
      #79 - 01/28/03 02:53 PM
junipertre3

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: Chicago, IL.

Whenever I have a recipe that calls for heavy whipping cream I use instead Soy coffee creamer, it's thicker and creamer than soy milk and can be found in most grocery stores in the dairy case next to the other coffee creamers.

#137 - 01/30/03 07:54 AM
mauwjauw

Reged: 01/29/03

Hi Heather! This was a very favourite dessert before I became vegan. I wonder if there is any way that there could be a good re-creation without using egg whites. Would an egg replacers do the trick or would it just taste like pudding rather than have the richness of brulee?

#164 - 01/30/03 12:03 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Egg replacers would probably work just as well as egg whites. The result may not be as rich as the traditional version made with egg yolks - that's why I'd add in a tablespoon or two of canola oil. It will give a bit of fat so you get that rich texture.

I'm going to play around with a variety of these recipes soon and post the best ones I come up with.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#16451 - 08/06/03 09:50 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Thank you so much Heather.... this is my hubby's favorite dessert.... and even thou he does not have IBS.... he is going to start eating SAFE with me

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 348 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3196

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review