All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Another TVP question!
      #54137 - 03/25/04 08:44 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Okay, I'm finally getting brave and using TVP in sloppy joes tonight. My question is, for those of you who have done it before, what liquid did you rehydrate it in? I looked at Heather's recipe in the newsletter and she didn't mention rehydrating it. Do you just make up some of the sauce ahead of time and rehydrate it in that, or does it rehydrate as it simmers? Or did you just use tomato sauce or something? I feel so ignorant!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Another TVP question! new
      #54177 - 03/25/04 09:46 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Well, I've done it two ways..... I'm not sure which way is REALLY right??

1) pour 3/4 cup boiling water over 1 cup tvp... set aside... then add it to the other stuff just before it says to simmer.

2) add it dry just before it says to simmer..... if the sauce then looks too dry or the tvp is chewy...add a little water and simmer a few more minutes.

Let us all know in the end how it turns out

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#54229 - 03/25/04 11:02 AM
Kree

Thanks, I will! I found a recipe that looks just like my aunt's except calls for TVP, and it says to rehydrate it in water first, so that's what I'm going to do.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#54239 - 03/25/04 11:33 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Seems like you could also rehydrate it in the tomato sauce? Maybe not though... like I said we never get the dehydrated kind.

For the sloppy joe recipe.... new
      #54361 - 03/25/04 06:18 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

the TVP rehydrates in the tomato sauce, so it absorbs those flavors. I've actually never seen the rehydrated kind for sale, or I would've specified in the recipe that you were to add it to the sauce dry. I like rehydrating the stuff in some type of flavored liquid instead of just water, because it makes the end result more flavorful. And I hate bland food!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

rehydrated TVP new
      #54362 - 03/25/04 06:20 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

The Morningstar farms and Boca Burger Crumbles are just TVP as near as I can tell.

Re: For the sloppy joe recipe.... new
      #54406 - 03/25/04 08:32 PM
Kree

Thanks Heather. The recipe I ended up trying was decent, but it was a little bit bland. I'm definitely trying yours next time! The only reason I chose this one (I found it online) was because it looked like it had similar ingredients to my great aunt's recipe, which I adore. But it was just missing something. Oh well, live and learn!

--------------------

HOW TO PREPARE TVP new
      #54957 - 03/27/04 07:31 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I added some TVP to my chicken broth soup....it was VERY good

This is what my TVP package says.....

HOW TO PREPARE TVP :

To rehydrate the granules, pour 7/8 cup of boiling water, veg broth or stock over 1 cup TVP. Stir and let stand 5 to 10 min.

To cook in a microwave , cover tightly with plastic wrap and cook on high for 5-6 minutes; check after 2 minutes and add a little more liquid if needed. You can prepare a double batch of chunks, enough for 2 or 3 recipes, and the cooked TVP will keep in the refrigerator several days. Or freeze some to thaw later in the microwave or in the refrigerator. Once the TVP has been rehydrated, it must be kept under refrigeration.

Quote:

TVP® (Textured Vegetable Protein) is made from soy beans and is used to replace or extend ground meats. It is also added to casseroles to add extra flavor and nutrition.

TVP is a registered trademark of Archer-Daniels-Midland Company

nutritional_info

recipes

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2315

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review