All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Re: breakfast ideas-pop tart Heather new
      #4860 - 04/01/03 06:35 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Yes, sucrose is just table sugar, and won't cause the problems fructose can. Sorbitol is the other sugar to watch for - it's in highest quantities in diabetic candies and cookies.

High fructose corn syrup is used commercially as a sweetener because it's cheaper than using cane sugar (sucrose). This is why it's almost always safer to home-cook than to rely on commercial foods...unless you really scrutinize those labels!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: breakfast ideas-pop tart Heather new
      #4861 - 04/01/03 06:39 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Thanks SO MUCH! Hopefully I'll be able to keep it straight from now on

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: breakfast ideas-pop tart new
      #4867 - 04/01/03 08:23 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I knew Quaker made a "pop-tart" of their own but it has at least as much high-fructose corn syrup as Kellogg's Pop-Tarts AND dairy, too. We've obviously got very different tummies. I know high-fructose corn syrup isn't good for me but Pop-Tarts are kind of a treat for me: dairy-free, portable, and not a trigger. So I think I'll stick with 'em.

Re: corn syrup vs. high fructrose new
      #4879 - 04/02/03 02:27 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Yeah, I know high fructrose sugar sets me off majorly! In extremely small quantities, im okay. But I remember once i had a popcycle (with 100% hih fruc.) and man, i was as sick as a dog for like EVER! I seem to handle corn syrup a bit better than high fructrose corn syrup. anyone know the diff?

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#4926 - 04/02/03 12:39 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Regular corn syrup has less fructose than the "high fructose" version. It's the fructose you're reacting too, so the more you eat the worse the problem.

If you cook with corn syrup, use the dark instead of light. It's usually just plain corn syrup, whereas the light version has high fructose.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Rice Syrup??? new
      #4927 - 04/02/03 01:04 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Heather, where does Brown Rice Syrup fit in? I have a whole new jar that I'm now confused about.....lol. The ingredients state: Organic Brown Rice, pure filtered mountain water.

#4928 - 04/02/03 01:07 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

My bottle of maple syrup just says pure maple syrup...maple syrup is IBS safe and made of sucrose, right? Thanks Heather!!!!!!!!!!

Always,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#4944 - 04/02/03 02:21 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Maple syrup should be safe. Certainly better than corn syrup!

- Heather

--------------------

Re: Rice Syrup??? new
      #4946 - 04/02/03 02:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Ohhh, this is good stuff. It's a natural, unrefined sweetener. Expensive, unfortunately, but nice stuff. You can get barley malt syrup, too, and that's great as well.

You can use these sweeteners as you'd use honey in tea or on toast, on hot cereal, etc. And you can also bake desserts with them, though this can get tricky. You can get vegan cookbooks where they don't use any refined sweeteners, but things like the rice syrup.

Best,
Heather

--------------------

Grits??? new
      #4985 - 04/03/03 07:54 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Can someone tell me what Grits are? Is it only sold in the US?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 140 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15384

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review