Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Kree's Oatmeal Molasses Cookies
      #47361 - 03/01/04 02:59 PM
Ariel2

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Canada

Hello,
In the Feb 25th newsletter there is the recipe for oatmeal cookies by Kree that sound delicious but I have some questions. Since I am living in Asia and do not have access to Soy margerine, can I substitute with Canola oil? If so how much? Also, I didn't realize eating uncooked oats was o.k so this recipe is ibs safe? What about adding raisins, would this work?

Thanks for all the tips!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Kree's Oatmeal Molasses Cookies new
      #47391 - 03/01/04 08:06 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi, and welcome! My guess is that canola oil won't work in this recipe. Cookies depend on solid fat for some of their texture. Can you find any non-dairy solid shortening or margarine? It doesn't have to be soy. If you can get something non-hydrogenated that will be healthiest.

The oats are okay - they're soluble fiber and they're also cooked as the cookies bake, and they'll be nice and safe unless you're totally intolerant to oatmeal.

You could probably add a bit of raisins. Dice them first (they're insoluble fiber, and this will make them more tolerable) and try adding just a 1/4 cup or so to the batch so there's not too much.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Kree's Oatmeal Molasses Cookies new
      #47430 - 03/02/04 07:39 AM
cymoon

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Texas, Houston

I have used oil in cookie recipes instead of margarine. It makes for a very soft chewy cookie and as a plus it takes very little oil compared to margarine.
My recipes are in storage but I would think for Kree's 1/4 cup of margarine maybe use 2 tablespoons of oil??

--------------------
"I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work." Thomas Edison (1847-1931)

Re: Kree's Oatmeal Molasses Cookies-question for Heather new
      #47453 - 03/02/04 08:44 AM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

Hi Heather- I read your advice re:the oatmeal cookies. Can
you tell me brands of non-dairy solid shortening or margarine that are not made with soy? Soy and I just don't get along.Thanks so much! Linda

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

#47497 - 03/02/04 11:43 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I'm not Heather, but I know that Fleischmann's unsalted margarine doesn't contain dairy. The only drawback is that it's hydrogenated, so it's not quite as heart-healthy. But if you can't have soy it may be your only alternative! I admit it... I use it.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#47522 - 03/02/04 12:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi Linda - I honestly don't know. Best bet is to check your health food store and just read the labels.

This might sound odd, but even if you can't tolerate soy as milk or tofu, you may do just fine with soybean oil. If you're allergic this wouldn't be true.

Kree's right - the hard part is finding one that is non-hydrogenated. If nothing fits the bill, then go with what you can get, and just limit your use. For the vast majority of cooking you can use liquid canola or olive oil.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Really?! This has worked? new
      #47524 - 03/02/04 12:25 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Whenever I've tried to use canola oil instead of solid shortening in cookies it's been a disaster. The oil just completely liquifies out of the cookies while they're baking and I end up with flat hockey pucks for cookies and a cookie sheet coated with oil. Totally inedible.

But, I've always used the same amount of oil as what the recipe called for with shortening. Do you think it's the oil reduction that's the trick? Do you sub applesauce for some of the shortening? Any other tips, or details on what specific recipes worked for this?

- H

--------------------

Re: Really?! This has worked? new
      #47584 - 03/02/04 03:04 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I'd be interested to hear this too! Personally, I'd be perfectly happy if my cookies all came out more cake-like.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 625 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2410

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review