Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Brown Sugar Banana Bread - Three Questions For Heather
      #43995 - 02/09/04 09:07 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Heather:

I would like to make your brown sugar banana bread, but I can't have any sugar. Unfortunately, diabetes is rampent in my family and I have been unable to tolerate sugar for 25 years now. Even though I am not yet officially diabetic, I get dizzy if I try to eat something with sugar.

Could I make your banana bread without sugar? I'm not a great cook so I have no idea whether eliminating the sugar would ruin the chemistry of the recipe. Would I need to add something else in place of the sugar, or could I just drop that ingredient from the recipe? I don't mind if the recipe isn't too sweet. I'm used to that. I also don't want to use an artificial sweetener because it irritates my IBS.

Also, if I made the banana bread, would it freeze well?

One last question -- if I just wanted to make one loaf instead of two loaves of the banana bread, could I just cut the recipe's quantities in half?

Thank you in advance for your reply! (I am trying to gain a few pounds because I've dropped to 80 pounds on the low-fat IBS diet and I'm hoping the banana bread might help me put on some weight!)

Regards,

Belinda

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

2 answers! new
      #44034 - 02/10/04 07:31 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I'm not Heather, but I can answer 2 of your questions! I have no clue about the sugar, but I know the bread freezes well because I've tried that and it tastes just as scrumptious afterwards. I also halved the recipe once and baked one loaf and that worked great.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Brown Sugar Banana Bread - Three Questions For Heather new
      #44047 - 02/10/04 08:30 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Belinda have you tried Stevia? I just purchased some powdered Stevia (usually use the liquid drops) just for baking. They have a conversion rate on the back of the container for regular sugar subbing. One other thing, I usually make one mini-loaf and then 5 pans of mini bite size muffins. Then I pop them in the freezer for use when I need them.

Edited by Karin (02/10/04 08:33 AM)

#44053 - 02/10/04 09:07 AM
belinda

Karin:

No, I've never tried Stevia, but I've heard of it and I've seen it in the health food store. I wonder how much I would need to put into the banana bread to sweeten it just a shade. My one concern is that I will change the chemistry of the recipe if I don't put in the required amount of sugar. I'm uncertain about what the effect would be if I omit the sugar. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a baker!

#44107 - 02/10/04 12:25 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Kree answered two of the questions, and I'm not sure about the third one myself. Omitting the sugar completely will definitely change the chemistry, and the end result won't be the same. The question is will the end result be good? It will be less brown and less moist, and sugar helps both those things.

I hate to say this, but I think you're just going to have make a loaf (halve the recipe and it will be fine) and see. You might end up with a slightly shorter or longer baking time, so check frequently.

I do think that this will come out - there's a lot of natural sugar in the recipe from the ripe bananas already, and they're giving a lot of moisture too. If you try it let us know what happens.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Brown Sugar Banana Bread - Thank you Heather! new
      #44160 - 02/10/04 01:49 PM
belinda

Heather:

Thank you for your response. I will definitely try this recipe -- hopefully this weekend -- and I will let you know how it works out.

Thank you to the others, including Kree, who replied too.

Belinda

#44218 - 02/10/04 06:28 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Belinda: I just found this on Stevia.

A Few Tips When Using Stevia

Do not use in place of honey, or in carmelization, as it may alter the consistency of a recipe.

When removing all of the sugar from a recipe and replacing it with stevia, increase the liquid amount in the recipe ie: milk, water or eggs. Not too many eggs though as it may make your recipe tough. Applesauce is a great bulk substitution.

If you do not require diabetic safe recipes, but would like low calories, you may remove most of the sugar from your recipe and only add a small amount of sugar and some stevia.

Baked goods do not brown when using stevia as they do with sugar, so insert a toothpick into the centre to test for doneness.

Some yeast breads will not rise without sugar to activate the yeast. Although there have been some reports of successful bread making with stevia.

Whisk stevia into egg whites before adding to a batter.
Stevia blends well with the flavours of lemon, vanilla and carob.

If the recipe calls for the use of a blender, add stevia at the beginning of the blending.

#44330 - 02/11/04 11:36 AM
belinda

Karin:

Thank you for this great information on sugar-free/stevia baking!

Do you have any suggestions on how much I should increase the canola oil in the banana bread recipe by, in order to compensate for omitting the sugar? I would prefer not to add more egg whites. I think the recipe already calls for quite a few egg whites and, unfortunately, I have a mild allergy to eggs so I will have to keep them to a minimum.

Also, do you have any idea whether I will have to increase or decrease the baking time to compensate for the lack of sugar, and by how much time?

I'm afraid I can't tolerate any sugar at all so I will have to remove all of it from the recipe. I get dizzy spells after eating anything with sugar -- sometimes I get those spells the next day. It's very scary! I've had this problem for about 25 years now. My mother says she had the same thing before she was diagnosed in her early 40s as having onset diabetes.

I probably won't add the stevia on my first attempt at making this recipe. I am so used to not eating anything sweet that I actually prefer a dessert that isn't too sweet.

I'm a very, very inexperienced baker so this will be a very challenging project for me! I just reviewed Heather's banana bread recipe again and I may have to invest in an electric mixer and a sifter. I used to have this equipment, but it has been literally years since I baked anything and I'm not quite sure where my baking equipment has got to! I fear my first loaf of banana bread will be quite costly!!!

Thank you again!

Belinda

#44332 - 02/11/04 11:42 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I wouldn't increase the canola oil at all. There is a lot of moisture from the bananas already. Just make sure when you're done baking and the bread cools, you keep it wrapped tightly in plastic so it doesn't dry out.

You might not have adjust the baking time either, because there's a lot of natural sugar in the bananas. Keep an eye on the bread and just test with a toothpick every 5-10 minutes or so once you think it's close to being done.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thank you, Heather!
      #44350 - 02/11/04 12:36 PM
belinda

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 199 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4460

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review