All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Oh no, great post... new
      #41549 - 01/28/04 01:58 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

people shouldn't be afraid of doing the math - it's not hard and it's really good information.

I did the nutrient analysis for Eating for IBS - used the software Nutribase. Terrific program - works off the FDA database of food breakdowns. You just enter the ingredients for a recipe and it gives you the breakdown. And the software was really cheap too - plus they had great customer service!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Actually, I do WW online.. new
      #41554 - 01/28/04 02:04 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

..which is extremely nice, because I can enter a recipe on the site and it will tell me how many points it is.

Not sure how familar you are with Weight Watcher Points, Heather - but do you know after how many points is considered too much fat for IBS? I would imagine I could find a set number since the points are based off of fat and calories.

I will have to sit down one night and figure out the precentage of fat in a couple things and compare to the point system to see if this is possible.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Edited by angylroses (01/28/04 02:05 PM)

Thanks for the lesson, teach! new
      #41555 - 01/28/04 02:06 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Kandee, thanks so much for doing all that work just to show me how to calculate properly! Yes, it does make my head spin a little bit, but after looking at it carefully it makes complete sense and I'm sure I'd be able to do it! I'll have to try it out very soon just to make sure! It does sound like that book of yours would come in very handy, since I looked for some of that info on the net just to see how readily available it is and it looks like it would take quite a bit of searching to find it all. But you're right, if I ever do accumulate enough recipes for a cookbook that analysis is definitely something I'd want to have!

I'm actually looking forward to trying this out. I was never wonderful at math, but I enjoy a good challenge once in a while.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Here's an easy way to cheat on the math... new
      #41561 - 01/28/04 02:08 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Heather, thanks for that rule of thumb! That's good to know. I wasn't sure about this one, since it had 1/4 cup margarine and only made 8 (well, 9 for me) muffins as opposed to the usual 12 or so. It's good to see that the rule still held! And I'm so excited that this recipe is safe!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 58 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5306

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review