All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
peppermint fudge cake!
      #39773 - 01/22/04 12:30 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

I'm going to make this for a party tomorrow night. I made it one other time. I didn't do peppermint extract I used Almond. Any suggestions on using the peppermint. I know some of you like it with less extract. Also do I need to put the icing on right before serving it...that kinda wont work. I need it to be ready to eat with out having to do anything to it before serving.

Any suggestions would be helpful...oh also what do you store it in? I have a round glass cake holder.Should I use that?

Thanks!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: peppermint fudge cake! new
      #39799 - 01/22/04 02:02 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Well, I love it with the full amount of peppermint, but you could reduce that if you like.

If you need to make ahead and then serve without icing at the last minute, one neat trick is to get the cake all baked and after it's cooled wrap tightly in plastic wrap (low fat cakes dry out very quickly). Then, just before you serve, unwrap and put on serving platter, and dust with powdered sugar (I put a tablespoon or two in a little strainer and just shake it over the cake). Takes about 5 seconds. Then I scatter fresh mint leaves or red rose petals around the base of the cake on the platter and serve. Looks totally fancy-schmancy with no time or effort at all.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#39802 - 01/22/04 02:20 PM
StephS

Good ideas, I'll try that. Does the cake get soggy if the icing is on to long? What happens if it's on like an hour before eating it?

Thanks!

--------------------

#39848 - 01/22/04 04:30 PM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03
Loc: iowa

Steph,
I've made this cake several times and never had any problems with the frosting being on the cake for days. If I know I won't finish it very quickly, I freeze it and have had no trouble with that either. It's just as good when defrosted.

Re: peppermint fudge cake! Joan? new
      #39865 - 01/22/04 05:07 PM
StephS

Thanks for your input Joan! Oh by the way I hope your day is going better today! I just had to laugh about your son's hand down your shirt, my daughter (almost 3) is always puting her hand down my shirt. She nursed till about 18 months and still thinks they are hers!!

Anyways I was going to ask you...do you use the full amount of peppermint extract? IN both the cake and the icing?
Thanks for your help. I'm nervious to make this for the party. I usually take a chocolate cake that they all love but I figured I want dessert too!! So they will have to have the low fat ( but yummy ) cake!!!

Thanks again!

--------------------

#39913 - 01/22/04 08:23 PM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

OOOOOhhh, believe me Steph, this cake will knock their socks off! I've made it so many times, and never had trouble with non-IBS people devouring it! And I'm not really a minty type of girl -- I'm not a fan of that mint chocolate chip ice cream everyone's always gaga for. Or Thin Mint girl scout cookies....Weird. But for some reason, I like the cake alot! The amount of peppermint seems fine to me -- its much more noticeable in the frosting, so that would be the place to reduce it if you wanted to. And you can always taste test the frosting first before you put it on, start off with a little bit of peppermint and work your way up. Good luck!!

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

#39947 - 01/23/04 07:32 AM
joanmarie

I don't use the peppermint because of my reflux. Also I am really fond of almond extract so that is what I use and I love the combination of the almond and chocolate. My kids and non IBS friends really like it too. I just substitute the almond for peppermint at equal measurements. I bet your friends will love it! It doesn't taste low fat at all, and is really moist.

#39950 - 01/23/04 07:46 AM
StephS

Thank Joan and Steather!

Both of you help a lot! I have made this one time before, and I used Almond. I really want to try the peppermint this time! The one time I did make it my family loved it. And they are the type that eat desserts and high fat ones! So that was nice for a change!

My dad needs to lose 50 lbs or so....I would love to get hime on the IBS diet!!! This diet is pretty healthy!!

Thanks again!

--------------------

#40140 - 01/23/04 02:33 PM
joanmarie

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!
Joan

made it!! new
      #40303 - 01/23/04 09:14 PM
StephS

So I made this and it turned out great. I used the peppermint this time. Last time I used Almond extract. I have to say I like the peppermint best! Everyone seemed to like it also. My son really liked it. He wanted to know how I made this! He's so cute. He's my best critic,he loves all the Eating for IBS recipies.

Anyway thought I would let you all now it went well!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 61 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4182

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review