All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Eating for IBS recipes
      #369511 - 05/05/13 04:02 PM
Kimba728

Reged: 05/05/13
Loc: Maine

I just bought the book and have learned so much about IBS, I felt better the very next day...but I see that many of the recipes have "hot spices" and "herbs" which sound very good, but on top of all the other "triggers" to my system, I'm concerned about trying the recipes when they call for peppers, cayenne pepper... I can't even tolerate paprika. Any suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eating for IBS recipes new
      #369512 - 05/06/13 07:16 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If you don't have GERD but just IBS you may find that after your symptoms stabilizes you maybe able to tolerate hot spices and herbs It is likely the insoluble fiber in the spices and herbs that are giving you problems at the moment so if you increase your soluble fiber when you eat them they may not be such a problem.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Omit what concerns you.... new
      #369513 - 05/06/13 06:41 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

most herbs and spices are actually digestive aids, so safe foods don't have to be bland.

"Hot" spices have capsicain, which can cause upper GI issues but not typically lower GI ones. But, if you are worried or just don't like hot foods, omit those spices. It won't affect the rest of the recipes.

Things like basil, oregano, cinnamon, ginger, caraway, cloves, etc. are all good to keep in the recipes though - they will actively help digestion and have other health benefits too.

XOOX
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Omit what concerns you.... new
      #369668 - 07/01/13 08:21 AM
cathy1948

Reged: 06/12/13

I wanted to share with everyone. I have been using the products now for about 3 weeks. the hardest thing for me was giving up cokes. None in 3 weeks now. My husband and I went on a trip, 8 hour driving time, I had no symptoms of IBS. I watched what I ate, did what it said in the book, about asking the restaurant if I wanted something different, and got through the trip without incident. for the last few years, I make sure I take immodium, and carrying it with me. I thank Heather and the information in the book. I am beginning to make progress.
Cathy

Congratulations!!! That is wonderful to hear! :) new
      #369670 - 07/01/13 10:12 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 546 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11197

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review