Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Chickpeas......
      #367532 - 05/30/12 09:36 AM
TwinsPlusOne

Reged: 05/08/12
Loc: Western MA

Hello All-

i am new to the message boards (in fact this is my first post). I am finding a lot of healthy recipes that use chickpeas (garbanzo beans). I know we need to be careful with beans and their insoluble but if they are being blended into a paste like hummus or blended and baked as a flour substitute in a cookie recipe. Then are they more tolerable in general? Or should I be cautious and not push my luck? I have had IBS-A for 14 years but am finally realizing that I am in control and so I am in that place where I want to figure out how to eat more foods but I am still scared..... You all know what I mean

Thanks in Advance for any and all comments!

--------------------
IBS C + D for 14 years. I am finally becoming open-minded enough to get out of my own way. Happily married and proud mother to 3 wonderful boys

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Chickpeas...... new
      #367538 - 05/30/12 04:12 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Yes - if they're mashed, blended, or just a flour then they will be safer. Start with small amount of beans or lentils (including soy) so your gut gets used to digesting raffinose, the bean sugar that can cause gas.

That usually just takes about a week or so of eating small portions, and after that you'll have much better tolerance.

For whole cooked chickpeas, serve over rice, pasta, etc. for a better soluble fiber basis.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 263 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3756

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review