All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Hummus Recipe WITHOUT garlic?? Heather??
      #36455 - 01/10/04 09:54 AM
SarahFroggy

Reged: 01/08/04
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I think i would like hummus if it weren't for the garlic. I seem to be quite alone in not being able to eat garlic. It kills me. Even a teeny tiny bit makes me want to crawl in a hole and die. so i though maybe i could use the chickpeas and some other combinations to make hummus cause my mom is in love with it and i think it would make a nice snack. Anyone have ideas? Heather?

Also a lot of the meal recipes in the book have garlic. is there a good substitute?

thanks in advance

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Spiced Sweet Roasted Red Pepper Hummus new
      #36465 - 01/10/04 10:56 AM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I would venture to say that most hummus recipes (like Heather's Eggplant hummus) would taste fine without the garlic. In fact, I've seen a few that say the garlic is optional (though I love garlic so much that I usually add more than the recipe calls for...I'm sorry you can't handle it!). I found this recipe on allrecipes.com, and I bet you could omit the garlic and still have a tasty hummus.

Spiced Sweet Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
1 (4 ounce) jar roasted red peppers
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

1. In an electric blender or food processor, puree the chickpeas, red peppers, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, cumin, cayenne, and salt. Process, using long pulses, until the mixture is fairly smooth, and slightly fluffy. Make sure to scrape the mixture off the sides of the food processor or blender in between pulses. Transfer to a serving bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (The hummus can be made up to 3 days ahead and refrigerated. Return to room temperature before serving.)
2. Sprinkle the hummus with the chopped parsley before serving.

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

Re: Hummus Recipe WITHOUT garlic?? Heather?? new
      #36521 - 01/10/04 03:01 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - You could always just omit the garlic. You may be able to tolerate garlic powder instead of fresh garlic. Or you could just increase any other herbs/spices in the recipe to compensate. I don't think you'll really miss it terribly in most instances, so no worries.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#165748 - 03/31/05 12:12 PM
SarahFroggy

sorry for the late reply. mmm sounds really good just need to get some tahini and lemon juice.

thank you

#177472 - 05/08/05 03:22 PM
SarahFroggy

i made that recipe the other day. i added red pepper that i had cut up and put in the freezer when it was on sale. and added wayy more parsley and put chili powder instead because i didn't have cayenne and more lemon juice. so basically used the recipe as a starting point

thanks again. i will be making this many more times.

one of my favorite hummus recipes: new
      #177503 - 05/08/05 06:49 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

chickpeas, small amount of tehini, and whatever I want to toss in: tomatos (sundried or grapes are best), roasted pepper, even herbs of choice... I rarely actually use garlic unless its roasted garlic in it... just because everything else tastes so good.. but I second heathers question- I can handle onion flavor or onion powder in things but can't eat the onion in them even diced fine- I have to pick around it!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 316 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6551

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review