All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cream Soups
      #361802 - 10/31/10 06:37 PM
sunnygirl

Reged: 10/07/10
Loc: midwest

I've been suffering with IBS for 24 years. I've just recently "found" Heather's site, and have purchased several items along with her book. Many of the recipes I cook for my family include Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Chicken soups. I'm looking for a substitution for these soups. Any suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cream Soups new
      #361806 - 11/01/10 05:06 AM
gizmo

Reged: 07/28/10

Hi sunnygirl. I have a really good homemade condensed cream soup recipe. I can't remember what website I got it off of but I use it all the time and it's easy to make. There is a basic cream soup recipe and then you can add sauteed chopped mushrooms, chicken for whatever type of cream soup you need. It's super easy and doesn't take much time. Here's the recipe...

Homemade Condensed Cream of whatever soup

Ingredients

1 1/2 C. chicken broth
1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt (or less, taste to test)
1/4 tsp. parsley
1 dash paprika
1 1/2 C. soy milk
3/4 C. flour

Directions

1. In a medium-sized saucepan, boil chicken broth, 1/2 cup of the milk and seasonings for a minute or two.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk and flour. Add to boiling mixture and continue whisking briskly until mixture boils and thickens.
3. Add the ingredient that forms the basis of the soup. Chop mushrooms, sautee in a bit of olive oil and add for cream of mushroom soup or add cooked chicken for cream of chicken.

This recipe is equivalent to two 10.5 oz cans of condensed soup. You can freeze this. I'll make a triple batch and measure it out about 1 1/4 cups to equal one can and I'll put them in either freezer containers or freezer bags and freeze them so I have it when I need it. I take it out the day before I want to use it to thaw it.

I've used this recipe in a lot of casseroles that call for condensed cream of mushroom soup like scalloped potatoes and things like that. It's great because you can freeze it. If you try this I hope it works for you like it did me. Good luck!!

This is great, thanks! new
      #361815 - 11/01/10 09:34 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I've always subbed for canned cream soups by throwing silken tofu in the blender with sauteed celery and mushrooms and spices. Works well, but it's messy to do and I don't think it would freeze well. Love your alternative!

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#361835 - 11/02/10 10:38 AM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

thanks for that recipe, looks like a good and useful one!

--------------------
stable IBS-A

Re: This is great, thanks! new
      #361847 - 11/02/10 06:19 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I might try it too. I have used mayo before in my own version of green bean casserole with some broth concentrate for flavor.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Thanks Heather-nt new
      #361931 - 11/06/10 10:38 AM
gizmo

#361936 - 11/06/10 08:55 PM
sunnygirl

Reged: 10/07/10
Loc: midwest

THANKS so much. I'm looking forward to trying it! I'm hopeful these dietary changes will help me feel better.

#361940 - 11/07/10 07:59 AM
gizmo

You're welcome! I hope it works out for you and good luck!!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 239 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10510

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review