All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Hungry Jack Instant Potato Flakes - Yum!
      #3525 - 03/20/03 08:07 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hi everybody - I've been making mashed potatoes lately with instant potatoes (and hardly anybody can tell the difference). Tonight I made them IBS friendly by using:

- FF rice milk (it looks yukky poured from the carton--it's almost clear)
- Sour Supreme sour cream substitute
- S/P
- Soy Garden Natural Buttery Spread (thank you Heidi for putting me on to this--the health food store cost was about $6 and the grocery was a little over $2).

I always like to put sour cream and dried or fresh dill in my mashed potatoes because it makes them taste so good.

So, tonight for dinner, me and the "grump" had Chemegurl's Sweet and Sour Cabbage Stew/Soup with Turkey (meat)balls (recipe on the recipe exchange) and sour cream dill mashed potatoes. Boy, did he go nuts and said everything was really good about 5 times. I didn't even tell him about the potatoes! Just goes to show, what they don't know won't hurt them. And, yes, they were very good.

Try it, you'll like it!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hungry Jack Instant Potato Flakes - Yum! new
      #3574 - 03/21/03 07:25 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Your welcome and I am glad you found a great price for it. We do instant mashed potaoes all the time. I sometimes use veggie or chicken broth instead of the water and of course the soy milk. My daughters love ranch dressing so I pour fat free ranch dressing on and they gooble them up. My one daughter gets into the cupboard and begs for them some nights. Talk about quick and easy.

#3604 - 03/21/03 09:13 AM
SharonMello

Heidi - guess I'm slow on the uptake sometimes. Don't know why I didn't think of it before. Peeling potatoes is hard on my thumbs and being an old broad like I am, we gotta watch out for our body parts!

Did you see the chicken recipes I posted made w/instant potato flakes?

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#3608 - 03/21/03 09:23 AM
torbetta

I used to make one very similar but it had a 1/2 cup of butter. I was trying to figure out if I could trim it down. Thank you.

#3670 - 03/21/03 03:30 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Sharon, what grocery store did you find the Soy Garden Natural Buttery Spread in? Since we are both in California, I'm hoping I can find it in one of the same stores. I've been to Ralph's today and they don't have it. Sometimes even the same named stores won't carry it unless we request it. Thanks, Karin

#3675 - 03/21/03 03:42 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

If you can't find the Soy Garden Natural Buttery Spread, a non-hydrogenated margarine with a buttery flavor that I like is Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread. I've bought it at Wild Oats here in Nashville, TN, and at a Publix in Cocoa Beach, FL, on vacation...so maybe it's available in California, too? Good luck!

#3677 - 03/21/03 03:44 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

There's also Spectrum Spread, a non-hydrogenated canola oil spread that's pretty buttery. I haven't used it on toast or anything, but it works great to work into flour for pastry crusts and such. I've found at Fred Meyer health food markets and also Whole Foods.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#3684 - 03/21/03 03:56 PM
torbetta

Earth Balance is the company that makes the soy garden spread. It just doesn't say that on the container. I get it through a co-op and it tells you the company name. It is made in NJ. There are no weblinks.

#3690 - 03/21/03 04:06 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Here's the site for it: www.earthbalance.net

#3704 - 03/21/03 04:44 PM
SharonMello

Karin - I found it at Save-Mart but it was in the produce section with all the tofu and soy foods. They don't put it with the other butters. I actually found it by mistake, because I've looked there before and didn't see it or they just got it. Hope you find it.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#3710 - 03/21/03 05:19 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

That's exactly where I looked for it today. We don't have Save-Mart here, maybe Trader Joe's has it. I may go check tonight. Thanks! karin

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 239 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6011

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review