All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
non dairy Apple Pie Recipe? is crisco safe?
      #351356 - 10/29/09 02:19 PM

Unregistered

Ingredients
•Crust
•2 Cups all purpose flour
•2 tablespoons sugar
•3/4 teaspoon salt
•2/3 cup Crisco, chilled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
•6-8 Tablespoons ice water
•Filling
•2.5 # apples (I used a mix of baking apples)
•3/4 cup Sugar
•2-3 tablespoons flour
•Juice of 1 Lemon
•1/2 teaspoon cinammon
•1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions
1.Prepare the crust by mixing flour sugar and salt
2.Mix in shortening using pastery cutter or 2 knives to resemble coarse meal with a few pea sized pieces
3.Mix in enough ice water by the tablespoon to form moist clumps
4.Gather the dough and form into 2 pieces one slightly larger
5.Flatten each into a disc and place in plastic wrap and chill 1 hour
6.Meanwhile...
7.Peel core and slice apples 1/4 inch thick
8.Combine sugar, flour lemon juice cinnamon and salt with the apples and let stand 15 minutes stirring several times, so as to soften the apples
9.Roll out the crusts
10.the larger disc into a 12 inch round and place in 9inch pie dish
11.Spoon in the filling
12.Cover with the rolled out smaller disk of dough ( 10 inch round)
13.make vents in top crust
14.Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar to your liking
15.Place in a 425 degree oven for 30 minutes in the lower third of the oven
16.After 30 minutes lower temp to 350 for 30-35 minutes
17.The pie is done when the filling bubbles through the vent and apples are tender
18.Let cool 3-4 hours
19.Can be reheated at 350 degrees for 15 minutes

if something in this isn't safe,plz someone post how to make it safe.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Martha Stewart’s Non-Dairy Roasted Pumpkin Soup Recipe new
      #351357 - 10/29/09 02:32 PM

Unregistered

bored so I was searching google.

I just spotted this recipe in my Martha Stewart Living mag (October '09). The 'Magic Of Fall' issue is dedicated to all things festive - and if you haven't been able to tell by now my affection for Autumn is in full swing. I definitely plan on making this soon…but probably not before I make a trip to a pumpkin farm. This is one of the few recipes I've found for pumpkin soup that doesn't involve dairy - which is perfect for me since I'm lactose intolerant.

Roasted Pumpkin Soup:

2 3/4 pounds sugar pumpkin or butternut squash, halved and seeded

1 onion, peeled and quartered through the stem

2 shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps wiped clean

1 garlic clove, peeled

1/2 cup organic olive oil

Course salt and freshly ground pepper

5 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium vegetable stock

Directions:

1). Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut pumpkin into 2-inch pieces. Combine pumpkin, onion, mushrooms, and garlic on a rimmed baking sheet. Add oil and 2 teaspoons salt; toss to coat, then spread in a single layer. Roast until pumpkin is tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, about 30 minutes, rotating pan and tossing vegetables halfway through. Let cool, then remove skins.

2). Transfer vegetables to a medium saucepan; heat over medium. Pour in 2 cups stock; puree with an immersion blender until smooth. With the blender running, slowly add remaining 3 cups stock, and puree until smooth. Bring soup just to a simmer. Remove from heat, and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot. Cover to keep warm.

Cherry-Apricot Pie Bars new
      #351358 - 10/29/09 02:38 PM

Unregistered

make this safe someone? http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2009/06/cherry-apricot-pie-bars-fresh-summer.html

Cherries and Apricots. When summer rolls around, two of my favorite fruits are cherries and apricots. These two flavors don't often get put together, but I found that the sour-sweet cherries paired with the smooth sweetness of apricots makes for a delicious summer dessert.

Cherry-Apricot Pie Bars
vegan, makes one 8" "pie"

3 cups fresh cherries, pitted and halved
4 small apricots, sliced thin
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup agave syrup
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup + 1 tsp coconut oil or canola oil
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp dry organic sugar
1/3 cup arrowroot powder
1 3/4 cups spelt flour
3 Tbsp Flax seed Flour
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp salt
Topping:
1 tsp vegan butter
cinnamon/sugar mixture (1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1 Tbsp sugar)

To make:
Combine spelt flour, baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 cup dry sugar, cinnamon and flax seed flour in a bowl. Add water and oil. Mix into a dough. Add more liquid or flour if needed to attain a firm, yet moist dough.
Wrap dough ball in plastic wrap and place in fridge for 20 minutes.

Filling:
Add cherries, apricots, lemon juice, agave syrup, 2 Tbsp dry sugar, arrowroot powder, 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp coconut or canola oil.
Mix well, without mushing fruit.
Arrowroot should turn into a nice jelly texture.
Set aside.

Remove chilled dough from fridge and split into two pieces.
Roll out both pieces into loose 8-9" circles.
Prepare an 8" cake pan by rubbing it with vegan butter and a pinch of flour.
Lay the first crust layer in the pan.
Create a loose crust border around the edge of pan.
Next, pour in the fruit mixture.
Then lay the second crust on top of the fruit mixture. Poke a few random holes in the top crust. If the crust breaks a bit-that is OK.
Topping: Drizzle melted vegan butter on top of crust.
Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture.
Bake for 30 minutes at 325 degrees.
Serve warm or store in fridge for a few days.

Re: non dairy Apple Pie Recipe? is crisco safe? new
      #351359 - 10/29/09 02:40 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

I think the ingredients in crisco are safe, but the fat content for this pie is really high for someone with IBS. The crust calls for 2/3 cup of crisco which is 128 grams of fat. If you divide that by 8 slices of pie, each slice will have 16 grams of fat.

Cherry-Chocolate Mousse Pie new
      #351360 - 10/29/09 03:04 PM

Unregistered

is this too high in fat? where in wal mart can I buy silken tofu boxed? pic http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/04/cherry-chocolate-mousse-pie.html

1/2 cup dried cherries
1 12-ounce box light silken tofu (or extra-firm silken tofu)
2 tablespoons agave nectar (more if you want it sweeter)
1 teaspoon vanilla
10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 prepared Graham cracker crust

Cover the dried cherries with 1/2 cup of boiling water and soak them until soft. Drain (and reserve) the water, and put the cherries into the food processor. Pulse to chop. Drain the tofu and add it to the food processor along with the agave nectar and vanilla. Process until smooth.

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. Pour it into the food processor and puree, scraping down the sides as needed to make sure it's well blended. Pour into a prepared crust and chill for several hours.

Makes 8 servings. Each slice contains 341 Calories (kcal); 16g Total Fat; (39% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 49g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 155mg Sodium; 3g Fiber. Weight Watchers: 8 Flex Points.

(See, I told you it wasn't fat-free!)

If you'd like to make it without the crust, here's the info for a crustless version: 231 Calories (kcal); 11g Total Fat; (38% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 40mg Sodium; 3g Fiber. Weight Watchers: 5 Flex Points.

No, Crisco is not safe... new
      #351384 - 10/30/09 03:02 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it's pure fat, and all fats are IBS triggers. Since you can't go fat free (not healthy) you do need to go low fat, so your fats have to be heart-healthy. Think olive oil, canola oil, or non-hydrogenated plant oils instead of shortening like Crisco.

It's very, very hard to make a low fat pie crust that has the proper pastry texture. In general, you're much better off just substituting a graham cracker crust for a pastry crust.

Recipe for the crust in the pumpkin pie here http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/heathercooks/heather_cooks_recipes3.asp#pumpkin will work in just about all other pie recipes.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

No, Crisco is not safe... new
      #351385 - 10/30/09 03:02 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it's pure fat, and all fats are IBS triggers. Since you can't go fat free (not healthy) you do need to go low fat, so your fats have to be heart-healthy. Think olive oil, canola oil, or non-hydrogenated plant oils instead of shortening like Crisco.

It's very, very hard to make a low fat pie crust that has the proper pastry texture. In general, you're much better off just substituting a graham cracker crust for a pastry crust.

Recipe for the crust in the pumpkin pie here http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/heathercooks/heather_cooks_recipes3.asp#pumpkin will work in just about all other pie recipes.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 218 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10158

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review