All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
I need help for my IBS badly please
      #3498 - 03/20/03 05:23 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

I have severe IBS. I have gas, gas pains, cramps, spasms, bloating, nausea, fullness from excess gas, headaches, constipation, diarrhea ( I got diarrhea 2 or 3 times from severe attacks. I swallow Altoids daily. Altoids are too big to swallow so I cut them to make them thin. I swallow 2 small Altoids after each meal but since I cut them, 2 small ones is equal to 1. I swallow 12 per day but it's really 6 since 2 Altoids make 1. Can I swallow more?
I get severe attacks often. I never know when they will start and end, some lasted 6 days in a row. I recently had one and it lasted 8 days in a row. Should I only eat safe food til my IBS is under control or should I eat them forever? Is ginger tea ok to have? I read on a website most people with IBS have to wait at least 5 yrs. before it gets under control. Is it true? Should I eat foods that have 20% or less calories from fat til my IBS is under control or forever? Can you give me an example how to find out the % of calories from fat? I tried but I don't know how. I have baked rold gold pretzels the calories per portion is 107, fat is 0.6 I tried to find the % of calories from fat. I got 4%. Is it right?
Please answear all my questions. My doctor is rude and cruel. He won't help me. He doesn't know anything about IBS. Thanks so very much Heather.
God bless.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I need help for my IBS badly please new
      #3502 - 03/20/03 05:33 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Angel - Unfortunately I don't have answers to most of your questions, but I'm sure someone will be able to help. I'm sorry you feel so bad.

As far as I can see, ginger tea is okay for you. Have you tried peppermint, chamomile, or anything else?

Have you tried looking for a different doctor? There's no need to put up with a rude & cruel doctor!!

I really wish there was something more that I could say to help you.

I really hope you find the help & answers you deserve.

Mags

#3506 - 03/20/03 05:55 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Angel - I'm so sorry you're having such severe problems. I don't know if you can change doctors, but if you can I definitely would. And I'd complain about the doctor you have being rude and cruel - that is completely unacceptable and you do not have to take that.

Your Altoid level isn't really that high - I'd try drinking peppermint tea as well. Ginger tea is also wonderful, as is fennel or chamomile

I would stick to safe foods until you stabilize. You should go several days without any problems whatsoever before you gradually start expanding your diet (but still stick to the guidelines). There's "breaking the cycle" info at web page

Also, start taking a soluble fiber supplement - that can really help, and you can take them forever with no health risks. There's info at web page

I've never heard that it takes an average of 5 years for someone with IBS to get it under control. If you have the information and resources you need, you could well get things under control within a few days or weeks. Even the hypnotherapy tapes for IBS only take months to work, not years, and they're the slowest treatment approach I'm aware of. Don't feel like you're doomed for the next few years - you are not!

Until you stabilize, I'd go completely fat free for a few days, maybe even up to a week (the breaking the cycle link has info about this). After that, if you're still not really solid, definitely keep the fat intake to 20%. You can actually stay at that level and be healthy overall as long as you make those fats count - monounsaturated, essential fatty acids are important, so choose olive oil, canola oil, avocados, finely ground nuts, fatty fish, etc.

I think you calculated the fat calories properly, if the .6 is the number of fat grams. Usually, the labels actually say what percentage of calories is from fat. If not, then take the amount in grams times 9 (because there are nine calories in a gram of fat). That will give the number of fat calories. Then you can figure the ratio of fat to total calories, and you want this at 20% or less.

As a general rule, I wouldn't want more than 100 fat calories per meal (and that's if I'm stable). That's about 1 tablespoon of oil, and that's pretty much the maximum amount I'd want at once, even with a high soluble fiber basis. I'd actually use a lot less than that if I was cooking at home.

Please let us know how thing go - and dump that awful doctor! He sounds like someone who should have been gardener instead - then he'd only be hurting plants and not people.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#3867 - 03/23/03 05:28 PM
till

Thanks very much for your help. I can't get a new doctor unfortuneately because the doctor I have is the only doctor that is near my condo where I live. If I got another one I couldn't get to the doctor I'm too sick to leave the house and I don't drive I 'm too sick. Even if I did know how I couldn't afford a car since I'm too sick to work and gas costs a fortune. I do drink really strong peppermint tea everyday. I have 12 tea bags a day. I will start having ginger tea everyday for now on. I appreciate your help. Each day is really bad though I'm in so much pain I can't handle it at all. I'd rather be dead since I feel like I'm dying each day. I have no idea how I will get a job. I live with my mom for now since I can't work. It's hell since she's a drunk and is cruel. My life is over.

#3869 - 03/23/03 05:31 PM
till

Thanks. I'm going to start drinking ginger tea. I drink really strong peppermint tea everyday. I have 12 tea bags a day. I would have more but it's pricey so I can't unfortunately. Things don't seem to go right for me.

#3875 - 03/23/03 06:19 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Angel - you poor thing! So sorry you feel so awful. You could cut your expenses by buying organic teas by the pound. I used to drink peppermint/spearmint combined in bags and a box of 20 was $3.50 not on sale. On sale, I could get them for 2/$5.00 but still expensive. The peppermint I bought at a health food store by the pound and was about $9. I've been using it for weeks now and I haven't made a dent in it. I use the metal containers for infusion. Two containers filled with peppermint and soak in a large teapot of boiling water. I drink a hot cup in the a.m. and then use the rest for drinking all day.

Is the doc giving you anything to take? Are you sure you have IBS? Have you been tested and everything else ruled out?

I hope you feel better. Sorry about your mum--that's a shame, but...I'll be thinking of you. Wish I could come and whisk you away and take care of you!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#3881 - 03/23/03 07:03 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Angel -

I am so sorry to hear you are having such a tough time and that you don't have the family support that
we all need when feeling so sick. Just remember we are all here for you. We are all family here.

I have been on the message board for about a month and last night when I had my men's washroom fiasco
all I thought was "The only people who will truly understand is the people on the boards" Although my husband
is super supportive it's nice to be surrounded by those who understand what you are going through.

When things get though - remember we are all here for you and I have been told that you can feel free to
email anyone with their address on their profiles in case you have some personal matters you just need to
talk about with someone.

We are all thinking about you and hope you all the best
((((((BIG HUGS)))))))
xxxxxxx

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#3882 - 03/23/03 07:04 PM
Lana_Marie

I just read your profile and we are pretty close - I live in Regina, Saskatchewan.

My sister in law lives in Virdon, MB.

What a small world...

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#3927 - 03/24/03 10:23 AM
Patricia

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Michgan

Angel, i just read your email and some of your replys. I am concerned you might have celiac disease. I have a sister, that made the same comment, she felt like she was dying. She had said, she would rather be dead then feel like she was feeling, the comment I feel like I'm slosly dying, got her husband to get her to Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, she was diagnosed with Celiac disease, (she thought she had IBS because my mother suffered with IBS for years) I am happy to say she is doing fine now, she had to make some changes to her surrendings in her home,(house molds and mildews are a major factor in Celiac) If you have problems getting around to doctors, contact your church, most churches have programs where they have volunteers that help people who need heelp, GOOD LUCK

#4180 - 03/26/03 04:30 PM
SharonMello

Angel - How are you doing? Any improvement? It's nice that you have two tabbies to help you thru your illness. I have a little domestic tuxedo (black and white) shorthair that we rescued about 5 years ago on Xmas eve. Her name is Holly.

Have you heard of Best Friends in Kenab, Utah? It's a no kill rescue for all kinds of animals. They keep the ones that are unadoptable and adopt out the ones that are okay. I think it's great that they do this. Youu can probably try www.bestfriends.com and see what happens. Or search on Google or another search engine.

Keep a stiff upper lip, honey.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#5357 - 04/07/03 05:17 PM
till

Thanks a lot. It's great you have a supportive husband.

#5358 - 04/07/03 05:21 PM
till

I was tested for that disease and I don't have it. Sorry about your sister. I don't go to church I'm too sick. Before I was sick I couldn't go to church since the other members in my so called family are not Christian at all sadly.

#5359 - 04/07/03 05:23 PM
till

It sure is a small world.

#5370 - 04/07/03 06:49 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

with the right kind of medicationfrom a good REPUTABLE DOCTOER you should be under control within a week or so at least, not years. Iwas on several different kinds of medication before I started on PAXIL. pAXIL MADE A BIG DIFFEERENCE to me,i felt like I had a whole in my stomach a lot, with paxil it was a lot better. You should definitely getr a second opinion as well.

#5375 - 04/07/03 07:02 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

hi again; if you could onlu get youerself into a better living situation with people who care Iam sure that would make a big difference to you. Iunderstand your situation, so Iam not advising you to leave your home, Ijust want you to be in a more supportive situation. If you have a faith, you could ask God for help, or at least, find somekind of a pyhsical suport group, somewhere near you. But remember, WE ARE ALL HERE FOR YOU IF NOTHING ELSE.

Angel -How have you been feeling new
      #5391 - 04/07/03 08:32 PM
Lana_Marie

Hi Angel -

I just wanted to see how you are feeling lately? I have been thinking about you (maybe it's because we are so
close in location LOL) but I wanted to see how you are making out?

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#5486 - 04/08/03 05:11 PM
till

My IBS is not under control yet since it's severe. Who knows if it will ever get under control.

Re: Angel -How have you been feeling new
      #5487 - 04/08/03 05:14 PM
till

Not good at all. Everyday is horrible. I can hardly get out of bed. I still have it severe. It may never get under control. Pure torture. Thanks for asking.

#5489 - 04/08/03 05:19 PM
till

Hello. I can't leave unfortunately since I'm too sick. I can hardly do anything because of the horrible syptoms. I wish I could leave and get a place of my own. I only got my cat. I pray everyday for God to help me. I read the Bible daily. Most things that happen to me turn out horrible for me for some reason.

#5499 - 04/08/03 07:37 PM
Lana_Marie

I am sorry! I assume you are following Heather's diet. Did you follow the steps to get stabalized? Chicken breasts and rice. It really works.

Also - if you don't have one - invest in a heating pad (there is a post that details everyones success with them). They are wonderful.
I have one and sometimes that's the only way I can fall asleep at night - really worth buying! Maybe that would
make your mornings a little more bareable. How is your doctor situation? (I know there are some of us who don't have that great of a doctor.
Maybe you should go back to the doctor and see if you can get some medication.

I am seriously worry about you....your case sounds very serious. I was pretty blessed because although I had D and had pains - I don't think
I suffered as bad of some of you did.

I know I am not the expert on this site (not by a long shot), but I just think maybe there is something more you can do.

I am not implying you aren't trying I am just thinking that maybe there is something extra you need to do because your case is so severe.

Best of wishes and good luck!

((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#6584 - 04/20/03 05:19 PM
till

I love cats. It's great you have one. Thanks for the website. I never heard of it. I'm not doing good that's for sure.
Take Care

#6586 - 04/20/03 05:25 PM
till

I can't find tea here in bulk. I have to buy a box of peppermint tea for $2.49 for 20 bags. Yes I have IBS. I had tests. Horrible tests I'd like to forget about but can't ever. Dicetel is only for IBS. It helps a lot but not enough. It need to be stronger. I lot stronger.
God Bless

#6588 - 04/20/03 05:33 PM
till

I don't have another doctor to go to. Should I higher my Altoid intake? Is it abnormal to have severe IBS symtoms not under control after weeks of safe eating? I drink really strong fennel, ginger, peppermint tea everyday. I can't take Citrucel yet. Since it's taking forever to come. I eat only fat free or lowfat foods. I really don't know what to do. Each day is completely horrible.
Thanks

#6589 - 04/20/03 05:44 PM
till

Since I'm too sick to go to the family doctor my mom went for me. Yes my mom. It's embarrassing but I'm too sick to go myself. You know what he said? He said he had no medicine and I should see a shrink!! I'd like to punch that loser! I have a horrible good for nothing doctor. I do use a heating pad. I use one everyday for most of the day but it makes my skin discolored! I have dark patches of skin on my stomach. I have fair skin and the patches are brown! It's gross! I hope you don't leave the heating pad on when you go to sleep. You can get burned. I know your trying to help. Thanks. I appreciate it. I really love chickens so I can't eat the poor creatures. I eat bread for most of my meals since it helps my C so I don't really eat rice. It's hard to eat it plain.

#6590 - 04/20/03 05:47 PM
till

I forgot to say that I'm following Heather's diet.

#6599 - 04/20/03 07:16 PM
SharonMello

Angel - you don't have to eat rice plain, although I do love it with just s&p. You can put sugar and cinnamon on it, honey, soy sauce, etc. (but not all at one time!!!) Did you see the recipes I put on the Recipe Exchage for baked fried potatoes? Can you tolerate potatoes? Minus the skins, they're soluble fiber.

Try putting a towel around the heating pad so that the heat is not so directly on your tummy.

Your doc sounds like a real dirtbag. Heather was right when she said he should be a gardener because then he would only hurt plants! I thought Canadians had a very good medical system...is that not so?

Please hang in there and don't worry about your weight. When you're feeling better, you can then concentrate on losing some. I wish I weighed 115 lbs...I'm also 5'5" tall and weigh about 170. When I graduated HS about 40 years ago, I weighed 118. Boy, those were the days LOL! I'd be happy to get down to 150.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#6809 - 04/22/03 05:20 PM
till

I don't put the heating pad directly on my stomache. I put it over whatever I'm wearing at the time like a sweatshirt or tanktop, etc. Hopefully the discoloring will go away. Actually I don't weigh 115lbs anymore I'm up to 116lbs! I'm not eating cookies with canola oil anymore. Way too much fat. I really like cocoa so that's hard to give up. I can't find a really good recipes with cocoa in it. I wish more food was sold here like arrowroot cookies, graham crackers, fat free saltines, etc. Don't worry you'll lose weight. Me too. I hope.

#6893 - 04/23/03 08:55 AM
Lana_Marie

Angel -

There are some excellent cocoa cookies etc on the site here. I have tried Sharon's Cocoa Chewy Cookies and they are wonderful and incredibly moist.

I have found that is more difficult to find foods in a grocery store that we can eat - I'd rather bake my cookies and goodies now - I haven't bought any cookies or anything since January because I have been baking it all. Alot easier than reading labels etc.

***** (FIVE STARS)For the Cookies LOL

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 275 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15640

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review