All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
need a substitute for dairy free spread.
      #348042 - 07/14/09 04:57 AM
amelia12

Reged: 07/14/09

i have had ibs for several years although not badly. then over the last year it got very bad i had my gallbladder removed in oct last year. i have recently started following dairy free diet. i also cant eat anthing with yeast it gives me terrible colic has done for a long time but i only reently figured it out.

i have started making a vegan version of soda bread. but i think the fat from the dairy free spread is effecting me. as i get alot of sharp pains after eating it.

what can i use instead of dairy free spread to make the dough?

any advice would be very helpful.

thanks

amelia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Can you post the recipe? new
      #348065 - 07/14/09 12:14 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Most versions of soda bread I've seen are very low fat. You may be able to use something like canola or sunflower oil instead of the spread, but it depends on the quantity.

Baking is a bit tricky when it comes to substitutions, because there is a lot of food chemistry involved.

If I can see the quantities and ratios you're dealing with that will help.

Also, what is the spread you are using?

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Can you post the recipe? new
      #348079 - 07/15/09 05:02 AM
amelia12

the recipie is

3 cups of flour
1table spoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1tea spoon baking soda
1/2 cup of dairy free spread
1 1/4 cup soya milk

add all dry ingredients into a bowl rub the dairy free spread through to make fine bread crumbs then mix in the soya milk to make a dough.

knead onto a floured surface shape into a ball
using a sharp knife score into 1/4's 1/2 inch deep bake at 170 or 180 degrees c for 45 mins

the dairy free spread that i use is the "pure" brand.

Suggestions... new
      #348093 - 07/15/09 10:21 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Okay, I do think your recipe might just be too high in fat. I found a few other soda bread recipes that actually look more typical to me. Give them a try and see if that helps.

White Soda Bread

4 cups (16 oz) of all purpose flour.
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1 Teaspoon salt
14 oz of buttermilk (use 14 oz of soy or rice milk mixed with two tablespoons white or apple cider vinegar)

Method:

Preheat the oven to 425 F. degrees. Lightly crease and flour a cake pan.

In a large bowl sieve and combine all the dry ingredients.

Add the buttermilk to form a sticky dough. Place on floured surface and lightly knead (too much allows the gas to escape)

Shape into a round flat shape in a round cake pan and cut a cross in the top of the dough.

Cover the pan with another pan and bake for 30 minutes (this simulates the bastible pot). Remove cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.

The bottom of the bread will have a hollow sound when tapped so show it is done.

Cover the bread in a tea towel and lightly sprinkle water on the cloth to keep the bread moist.

(from http://www.sodabread.us/)

Irrestistible Irish Soda Bread

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg, lightly beaten (substitute 2 egg whites)
2 cups buttermilk (substitute 2 cups soy or rice milk blended with 2 tablespoons vinegar)
1/4 cup butter, melted (substitute 1/4 cup canola oil)

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.

Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda. Blend egg and buttermilk together, and add all at once to the flour mixture. Mix just until moistened. Stir in butter. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for 65 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the bread comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Wrap in foil for several hours, or overnight, for best flavor.

(from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Irresistible-Irish-Soda-Bread/Detail.aspx)

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Suggestions... new
      #348098 - 07/15/09 12:43 PM
amelia12

thank you. I shall give them a try let you know if it helps.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 280 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4153

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review